2022 Philadelphia meeting moved to Gettysburg.........

edinmass

Well the change this late is a BIG bummer. I can’t change my flights. Phil and I were looking forward to seeing everyone and enjoying the meeting. We will now just stay in Philly and do a food, booze, and car collection tour. Sorry we are going to miss you guys........I absolutely LOVE Gettysburg.....but NOT in winter. I won’t risk getting stuck in the boondocks with poor weather and poor airport access. Not complaining............but it sure is late in the game to make this move. Best to all at the meeting folks, and we will see you next year. Looks like Gino’s and Pats and a few other places will now be on our list of places to visit while in the city.

I am sure it will be posted on the forum soon. Within the past 2 hours, Tom Cox posted the following on the AACA facebook group. 

"IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING THE ANNUAL CONVENTION SCHEDULED FOR PHILADELPHIA.

DUE TO ISSUES BEYOND OUR CONTROL WE ARE MOVING THE ANNUAL AACA CONVENTION AND NATIONAL AWARDS MEETING TO THE GATEWAY COMPLEX IN GETTYSBURG PA. WHERE OUR 2020 GRAND NATIONAL WAS HELD. THE DATES ARE THE SAME. PLEASE CANCEL YOUR PHILADELPHIA RESERVATIONS. FOR THOSE WHO ARE ALREADY REGISTERED, STAFF WILL BE CONTACTING YOU ABOUT CHANGES. THOSE WHO WISH TO REGISTER PLEASE CONTACT NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS @ 717-534-1910 . PLEASE be patient...staff is working around the clock on this move and you may experience some on hold time.

The host hotel is the Wyndham Gateway 717-339-0020. There are also room blocks next door at the Gateway Courtyard by Marriott 717-334-5600.

It's going to be a great time at a familiar location!!!!"

• Like 1

https://aaca.org/images/news/2022_Annual_Meeting_Registration_Gettysburg.pdf

Sorry folks but you know the story about "the best laid plans of men and mice"?  Several late issues with the city including vaccine mandates caused enumerable problems and it was felt in everyone's best interest to attempt a move and we did.  Ed, Gettysburg is two hours away from Philly.  Not that long!  You can also change your flight to Harrisburg and hour away or if you are looking for a bigger airport BWI is also about an hour away.  Most flights are no charge to change these days.

We are doing the best we can given the hand we were dealt.  It is not fun having to make this change and the hotel size is a challenge for us.  Also, we had a fun afternoon planned with Wayne Carini and Ralph Marano but the logistics no longer work.

The club is in the process of calling everyone who registered, everyone of the winners we have not heard from, seminar speakers and trade show folks but this is a process!  It will take a bit.

Just a reminder, if you are not staying at the Sheraton and have reservations please cancel.  There was no blanket cancellation as some are going to base in Philly and come to the convention as needed.  

• Like 2

Got our call this morning from Paula Ruby-thanks for the efforts being made to help smooth the change.  HQ and our Board has been fabulous these past couple of years adapting to all the sudden changes taking place.  I look back at all the successful events we've been able to enjoy because of their hard work and extra effort.  Thanks to all - you are very much appreciated!

See you in Gettysdelphia!!!

Terry

Steve....no worries or complaints........todays world is a bit insane.........never say die......keep the show on the road. We have comitments in Philly we can't change. Research at Simeone Museum, and visits with several substantial collections, and visiting family members. We will attend the meeting next year. I will try and post some photos of the collections we visit if they allow them. Phil and I will bring a bottle of Crown Royal so we can do shots at Gino's and Pat's.....as well as a few others.

• Like 1

In past years at the Annual Convention one could register on a Friday or Saturday morning when one arrived.

I had done that due to my unpredictable work schedule and unpredictable Philadelphia weather.  I usually attended the seminars, judging school and checked out the trade show (I didn't attend the banquet).

I was wondering if people will be able to register like that this year at Gettysburg? I certainly understand if that will not be possible.

Also, many Thanks to all involved with putting on the Annual Convention especially this year with all the last minute challenges and additional work. Your efforts are Greatly Appreciated!

Paula called me as well which I think is an extraordinary effort to make it known.  My problem is I am just coming up for the banquet and my flight doesn't get in until 3:00 and then to rent a car and drive 2.5 hours will be cutting it real close.

We are so sorry for the hassles for everyone.  Volunteers are here today trying to make calls to everyone.  This ain't easy folks but sadly was necessary.  Yes, you can register day of event.  Bill, cocktails are from 530-630 and dinner starts at 6:30.  If you are coming in to Philly and can change your ticket to BWI or Harrisburg it puts you only an hour away.  

• Thanks 1

I want to give a BIG thank you to all the staff and volunteers that are working hard to make this transition work.  You people are amazing.  I can't imagine how hard it must be to move this and make all the arrangements on such short notice.  Thanks for keeping the same dates as original.  This won't dampen our fun!  Thanks again to all who are making the new arrangements.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 12:09 PM, Terry Bond said:

HQ and our Board has been fabulous these past couple of years adapting to all the sudden changes taking place.  

YES THEY HAVE!!!

When you factor in that as well as the move in the new headquarters building makes them even more fabulous.

While I will miss not having dinner with you at Mace's Crossing, I open Gettysburg with open arms.  While I miss the gorgeous view of City Hall and "the Rocky Steps" from the JC Taylor hospitality room, I will also like not having to pay for hotel parking, less traffic, cheaper room rates and cheaper food for a place that's closer to home for me.  It'll also allow me a chance to swing through Hershey on my way down too.

I was looking forward to going to Philly, but on the bright spot is that Philly was the last AACA event that my father and I ever went to before I lost him.  We climbed on the stage to accept the Peterson Fire Apparatus Award and the picture that was taken was the last picture ever taken of my dad and I together. 

When we took that stage in Philly, the people of AACA got to see us win an award that we had been passed over many, many times, my dad was there to accept it, and it gave people their chance say their goodbye to him.

As much as I can't wait to go back to Philly, the good thing is that so far there hasn't been another Philly without my dad so at this point, he hasn't missed one.  

706_1d16e7a4-f4e0-4f44-912f-b6349fb978c2.jpg

19 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

We'll see you in Gettydelphia!  Your Dad was special to us also.

Safe travels-

Terry

Yup you too, I can't wait.  I think one of my favorite places to go is the Lincoln Diner.....  

Oddly enough my dad had never been to Philly until four years ago, and once he went, he never quit going.  Of course his first trip was when the Eagles won the Superbowl and the Eagles fans turned downtown Philly upside down.  I think the funniest thing was seeing these guys roll a casket into the street.  No one was dressed up, there weren't any flowers, there wasn't any hearse, and when the team went by them they opened the lid of the casket and under the lid it said "we buried the Patriots." My mother shook her head, my dad and I got a good laugh out of it.

The important thing is that we won a national award while he was alive to see it and enjoy it.  At this point I am thankful to have won one, and tickled pink to have won two.  We shared the distinction of being the only ones in all of AACA to do it twice with two different fire trucks.

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

Roger Frazee, from Steve M.

We are so sorry for the hassles for everyone.  Volunteers are here today trying to make calls to everyone.  This ain't easy folks but sadly was necessary.  Yes, you can register Gettysburg on the day of event.  Bill, cocktails are from 530-630 and dinner starts at 6:30.  If you are coming in to Philly and can change your ticket to BWI or Harrisburg it puts you only an hour away."  

He also said that they are playing catch up trying to get everything in order. We are all waiting for the finals on this.

Thanks,

Wayne 

11 minutes ago, R W Burgess said:

Roger Frazee, from Steve M.

We are so sorry for the hassles for everyone.  Volunteers are here today trying to make calls to everyone.  This ain't easy folks but sadly was necessary.  Yes, you can register Gettysburg on the day of event.  Bill, cocktails are from 530-630 and dinner starts at 6:30.  If you are coming in to Philly and can change your ticket to BWI or Harrisburg it puts you only an hour away."  

He also said that they are playing catch up trying to get everything in order. We are all waiting for the finals on this.

Thanks,

Wayne 

Right Wayne - gotta be patient and flexible.  I can't imagine what it must be like trying to juggle schedules for speakers, meeting rooms, and all the logistics associated with the last-minute switch to the new location.  We've been in Gettysburg before for national meets but trying to squeeze the Annual Convention in is a whole different ball-game.  

We're lucky to be able to do it there, and even luckier we've got the dedicated staff to work out all the details. 

We'll see you in 'Gettydelphia."   Don't forget to catch my seminars "The History of the Spark Pug" which is an "electrifying" look at the history of the plug, and some of the "shocking" stores behind them.  Also looking forward to presenting 'The Cars of Scotland."  For those who thought Scotland was all castles,  kilts and whisky, you'll be amazed!

Terry

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We're in the Philadelphia Downtown Sheraton. Across the Parkway is the "AACA Convention" scrolling in electric lights atop the PECO Building.  Things are a lot quieter in this hotel without the car nuts. Hope we make it back next year.

BTW, I was never asked for vaccine proof at the hotel, but we were asked at a few restaurants and museums (including Independence Park). Everyone was wearing masks indoors. The hotel was surreally quiet, and were put on the top floor with a wonderful view of the Parkway. 

Phil

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

Gettydelphia is going great. Fantastic job by everyone in pulling it all together. I had a great turnout for both of my seminars. Annual meeting was packed. Getting ready for the banquet now, the room looks great. There will be some happy people later this evening. Lots of people who never attended an Annual Convention before are really impressed.  More later

Terry

Always great seeing our friends again. That's what makes these things great. Last evening was a really grand event. We thought the dinner was excellent. The program was short and we saw loads of smiles and heard lots of cheers as awards were handed out. Wayne Tuck takes the helm of AACA and Fred Trusty will be his Executive VP.   It was an event that really lived up to tradition. Wonderful job by everyone who helped with all the last minute changes with the move.  Bring on the season!!!

Terry

Terry, really enjoyed your seminar on "The Cars of Scotland". Lots of interesting photos and automotive information. I did not realize that the automotive innovations that you mentioned originated in Scotland. 

I have to wonder if drinking Scotch provided any inspiration? 😉

Charlie

On 2/11/2022 at 4:42 PM, kings32 said:

Will not go back to Phily again . We need to change some in our club . 

There are people who love Philly, there are people who love Gettysburg, and there are people who want it someplace else, I think Philly and Gettysburg are both good.  What one venue lacks, the other one has, so I'll go to either one.

Another venue to think of is the Hershey Lodge right in Hershey.  AACA is Hershey, Hershey is AACA so why not bring the national award winners from out west to Hershey.  What better way to sell the organization than to have the Annual Meeting right in AACA's hometown??  We know the place is big enough, we've had more than our share of banquets there, we know the staff at Hershey Lodge, they know AACA, the staff at AACA doesn't have to move things as far and they can still stay home at night with their families.  

Bear in mind that I'm not asking for it to be moved there, but I'm putting it out there to give people something to think about.  From Hershey, if someone still wants to go to Philly or Gettysburg, in a matter of a couple hours in either direction, people can still do both.

I'll most likely go as long as it is a reasonable distance for me.  Of course mother nature may set the tone from time to time

I think at this point my concern is the staff from AACA headquarters.  They do an awful lot, so depending on where the Annual Meeting gets moved to, will dictate what they have to do to get things done.  We also have to honor and respect the wishes of Mike Jones and his crew who have made the arrangements for the annual meeting every year, for several years.  I don't see anyone breaking the door down asking to take the Annual Meeting over, but I would be dead set against stepping on the toes to those that have been involved with this event for many, many years.

To be honest with you, I think I'd rather see the club go in the direction for what's best for the staff at AACA headquarters.  They do a lot for everyone on a daily basis.  The farther you take the Annual Meeting away from where it's at now, the harder you're going to make it on the staff and their families.  

Whether we stay in Philly, keep it in Gettysburg, went to the Hershey Lodge in Hershey, or went someplace else, no matter where it gets moved to, it's going to be better for someone and it's going to be worse for someone else.  I know if it got moved to California, I wouldn't go, but if it got moved to California, maybe there's be more participation from the membership out west. 

This is not something that has a simple solution, but I'm sure our national directors will do what's best for the membership.  No matter what gets decided, someone isn't going to like it.  As in the case of our cars, we all have different tastes, so there is no perfect solution for everyone.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

On 2/13/2022 at 5:43 PM, charlier said:

Terry, really enjoyed your seminar on "The Cars of Scotland". Lots of interesting photos and automotive information. I did not realize that the automotive innovations that you mentioned originated in Scotland. 

I have to wonder if drinking Scotch provided any inspiration? 😉

Charlie

Thanks -wasn't sure how much interest there might be, but was impressed with the turnout and questions asked.  The topic always fascinated me since living there and discovering info on a couple of cars built near where we lived.  I could have gone on for another hour with interesting info, but the brain can only absorb what the fanny can endure. 

Yes, I'm sure Scotch may have had some influence.  It may have even fueled some of those early experiments when gasoline (petrol) wasn't available.

Congratulations on your 50 year member pin too!

Terry

On 2/16/2022 at 5:15 PM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Thanks Pat but the Lodge room rates and banquet costs make matters even worse for us.  It sure would be convenient for us but there is no facility in Hershey that can accommodate us at a reasonable cost to our membership or national.  Time will tell which direction our event will go.

Now that I didn't know.  My thoughts are that it costs the club a lot of time and money to ship everything and everyone to the annual meeting and back, so if you could do it closer to Hershey for the same price or less, it would allow the staff to stay home with their families, showcase the new headquarters and allow the national board to do their meetings away from everyone else without being interrupted.

From a sentimental standpoint it would mean the year would start and end in Hershey

I think Philly is fine............and enjoy the city every time I go. With inflation, rates are only going to get more insane........and it's a good bet Philly in Feburary will always be a very reasonable price point. Also......Philly is EASY to get to compared to many airports.........the reason I attend? Direct flights are available, and in the winter I will NOT make any connections. I look forward to next years meeting and have already made plans to attend. 

I think what surprised me was to find out that Philly is more expensive than Hershey.  That I never would've imagined.  Truth be told, I think if you move the meeting, I don't think the attendance is going to fluctuate that much.  I imagine if you move the meeting south, the people that live in the south that don't go to the meeting now, won't go to the Annual Meeting if you move it to the south.

No matter what, I am in favor of what's best for the staff at AACA Headquarters.  They're the ones who have to ship the trophies, merchandise, plan the seminars, make arrangements for the board meetings, coordinate all of that, leave their families and then have to take everything back to Hershey and put it away when the meeting is over. 

As for the rest of us, it's easy for us when all we have to do is pay the registration fee, walk in and sit down. The good thing about Philly is with the train, the subway, the airport, etc. it's very easy to get around in Philly once you're there.  In a lot of places you'd need a rental car if you're flying in.