1971 Triumph TR 6...running, driving, has title, no major rust $3900 obo El Paso, SOLD

After determining that I can't (won't/shouldn't) buy this car myself, I thought I'd let you guys know about it. Needs some work, but looks promising:

1971 Triumph TR-6 | eBay

1971 Triumph TR6 Convertible . It has an In-Line 6 Cylinder engine and a  4-Speed Manual transmission WITH OVERDRIVE!  It runs ok but smokes a bit when started, shifts into all 4 gears, but have not tried the overdrive. The car is currently running on a gallon jug under the hood with an electric fuel pump. It will need brakes repaired immediately, the fluid leaks and it only stops with the handbrake. Very solid body with no major rust or rot (look at pictures). The car comes with the convertible top frame. Clean Texas Title in hand. The car has been driven short distances here locally but it will need to be transported. PLEASE LOOK AT ALL 80+  PICTURES BELOW and ask anything you like BEFORE bidding. We have a  Clean Texas title in hand! Any questions please call 915-821-1300  M-F, from 8am-5pm. We can store the car for free, until transport arrangements are made AFTER FULL PAYMENT IS MADE. You can message us here on eBay or direct at ccparts@whc.net, or call. Any eBay APP messages will not be answered .

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Having enjoyed my TR-2 and TR-3/3A models during my teens and 20s, I could appreciate this, 

but am in no way going to start dealing with it as I approach my 80s.

Just getting in or out would require an ongoing subscription with a good chiropractor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

I could appreciate this, 

but am in no way going to start dealing with it as I approach my 80s.

Marty, I can appreciate what your saying...and I'm still in my early 60's (barely.)

The price was very tempting, but then I saw Matt Harwood has a really nice one for about 20k on his site. I could easily spend up to that amount on this one and still not have it as nice as Harwood's. Once the hypnotic effect of low purchase price wears off, common sense sets in. But this could be made a cool long term project for someone who can only afford to spend a little at a time.

• Like 2

In my misspent youth I also dabbled in worn out British sports cars. A TR3 and a TR4A were  in the mix. Always lusted after a TR250 or a TR6 but even then prices were way away from me.  The ones I had seemed to need one hour of repair for every five hours running but maybe that was the cars being worn out already and me being young and dumb. Like Marty and others have said although being only 71(Only 71, the kid in the room) and arthritic getting out of one would involve a crew and and a frame lift at minimum. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I had a TR6 for around 7 years in the 80s.  Many cars have come and gone, few have been more fun to drive.  

I bought a MGA in 1973, traded it plus cash for a TR 250  in 1975 , " bought another Barn Find " MGA in 1978. Alternated between the MGA and the TR until 1981 . { I always was able to keep one running but often not both , $ was tight in those days}. I then went back to the MGA full time. The easy torque of the TR was nice, but I never liked the handling compared to the MG. I owned a TR6 in the mid 90's. But a pretty used up one a friend practically gave me as he was moving away from the area. Fixed it up to decent driver status. But a chance to trade it on another MGA came up and off it went. My wife didn't want to see it go as it was our honeymoon car, but I explained it was actually very rough under the nice maroon paint and she understood.

TVR used the same building blocks to so much better effect. My 1974 2500 M is a forever keeper, as is my MGA "hoard ". Too bad TVR didn't make a roadster version of the " Vixen " type cars until the very end. And even then only in handful numbers.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 4

TR8's are actually quite good cars. And a relative bargain these days. The styling is a bit of a drawback for some , but they have grown on me over the years. If the right deal came along I would be tempted. Lots of small ,typical BL quality problems , but the main building blocks are quite decent. I think they compare quite well to a Stag for example.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

most cars compare well to a Stag

We had one in the Triumph club I was in, it never ran.  I will say about a dozen of us covered New England and upstate NY and breakdowns were very rare.  Even had a Spitfire or two in the mix.

• Like 5

• JamesR changed the title to 1971 Triumph TR 6...running, driving, has title, no major rust $3900 obo El Paso, SOLD