For Sale: 1929 Hudson Super Six Model R 4dr Sedan - Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada - $22,500 - Not Mine

For Sale: 1929 Hudson Super Six Model R 4dr Sedan - Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada - $22,500 - Just Awake From a 62-Year Nap!

1929 Hudson Super Six - Just Awake From a 62-Year Nap! - $22,500

1929 Hudson Super Six - Just Awake From a 62-Year Nap! - cars &... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Local car with great history!
Please note that the car is currently in Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada.
This wonderful example of the celebrated Hudson “gangster car” is in 100% unrestored, operating condition and in remarkable survivor shape for its age. This is primarily due to the fact that the car was taken off the road in 1959 and put into the old "Cap's Cycle Museum" where it remained until its recent purchase by its current owner in May 2021. After a summer of fettling, tinkering and cleaning, the car has been brought back to life and is once again a running example of the marque.

Interestingly, the car still has its 1959 temporary Operation permit affixed to the windshield from its last trip under its own power before taking its place of prominence at the museum. It also sports its original BCAA badge.
The 1929 Hudson Super Six is a “one year only” model in that it has a very unique 6-cylinder motor with some technical innovation. It is an “F-head”, not to be confused with a flathead, as it was a hybrid motor in its use of underhead valves for the exhaust and overhead valves for the intake. Like other Hudsons, the motor was completely balanced, all bottom-end components and not just the crank. This made for a smooth, powerful ride.

Enter 2021 and this luxury car has been gingerly sorted out and almost all systems working as they should. It cannot be understated that this car is, quite literally, a 30-year-old car that went into cryogenic suspension for 62 years. The care and attention it got in a temperature-controlled environment and without any more miles piling up simply preserved the car in its 1959 state and the new owner has painstakingly removed major components, checked for correct operation and excessive wear, then put it back together with new parts as required and available. The end result is a car with a fabulous degree of wear that adds to its curb appeal as only a true survivor can.
Since my “freshen up”, I have driven this car about 50 miles with nothing untoward to report. The acceleration won’t embarrass my Tesla, but it isn’t slow either. The fastest speed I took it up to is about 70 KPH (45 MPH) and it had more power on tap.

The Hudson is in running/driving condition, but some few minor items remain to bring it up to full completion. This includes:
Purchase and installation of the (right-side) spare tire. This sale comes complete with an original rim and the hard-to-find “rim spreader” tool to install/remove the demountable rim tires, just missing one Silvertown tire which is a current offering from Coker Tires. All hardware is included to mount the spare, including a mirror which mounts on top of the tire.
The steering quadrant (lights/throttle/ignition control) is presently inoperative. This does not prevent the car from being driven, all of these functions can be operated manually. This is because of a small broken part that has been located and on order at time of posting and is a simple replacement.
Cowl light is missing the proper lens and has a flat glass lens instead.
Rear grab handle was broken but replacement parts are included in the sale. Similarly with the sun visor.
The speedometer is not presently working, likely a broken cable.
New parts include:
Oil sump has been completely removed/cleaned and re-installed with new gaskets.
Fuel system has been completely reworked and functions well, using all original components (including the vacuum fuel tank). The gas tank has been professionally cleaned (little/no rust) and a new liner added. A new sending unit was installed and gives a satisfactory reading. The original “Marvel” carburetor has been cleaned and rebuilt with new gaskets and much love… it works great, and the motor easily starts right away. A modern fuel filter has been installed in an inconspicuous place and a fuel shut-off added for safety and long-term storage.
A new 6-volt battery has been installed and a new, original style battery box fabricated and installed under the seat. A battery disconnect has been added for safety and long-term storage.
The starter motor has been professionally cleaned and inspected with new brushes and bearings and works effortlessly to turn the motor over. The starter switch is new. The original manual starter crank is included and can start the car (with some effort, it’s not a 4-cylinder Model T!)
The generator has been professionally rebuilt at great cost. This involved new bearings, field windings, brushes, reluctor and voltage regulator. It puts out steady amperage.
The ignition has been properly and completely sorted out, new (correct/original AutoLite) ignition wires/terminals/cap/rotor/condenser/points installed. Strong, healthy spark every time.
Exhaust is completely original, is in excellent working order. This car has a delightful “gurgle” under power which evokes so many memories.
Cooling system has been sorted out, new hoses, radiator cleaned. Kept cool even during our recent BC heatwave. Slight drip from water pump packing, not enough to cause concern.
All four (matching) Coker Silvertown tires are like new. They were installed new in 2001, but no miles until I put the 50 miles on myself in 2021. Since they were stored indoors (no UV rays) and the vehicle was on jackstands, they remain in excellent condition.
Steering is very good, no problems, and the alignment seems good. Steering wheel is in great shape and a new (improved design) steering collar installed for added safety as they are known to break easily.
Other points:
Oil pressure is showing a healthy reading.
Dash gauges mostly work, including ammeter, water temperature, oil pressure, oil/gas level. Only the speedometer doesn’t work.
Brakes are original and in excellent working order. Can do a full four-wheel lockup if necessary.
One wheel is missing a keeper (readily available).
Upholstery is all original and in remarkable shape for its age. The seats are comfortable!
All electrical system works. All lights are functional, including interior lights and single stop light, and original wires are in great/safe condition.
Many spare parts, including spare valve cover, distributor and ignition parts.
The deal includes the original sales literature, Hudson owners handbook and some period advertising pieces.
It has its original trunk, complete with all original and proper mounting hardware. In good working condition.
It has its original Hudson radiator hood ornament; an upgraded and ornamental one is available.
All gear and motor oils have been replaced this past summer and all grease points properly serviced.
It has a beautiful, original BCAA (British Columbia Automobile Association) badge mounted on the light bar.
This car is equipped to have one fender-mounted spare tire only (right side).
The body was made by Hudson and has the preferred piano-hinges.
The wooden wheels are very solid, no observable flexing or other areas of concern.
The front safety windshield is original and has some delamination. This doesn’t affect visibility much at all. All other glass is in excellent condition and there are three functional roll-up blinds.

Presently in running/driving condition, after a 62-year nap she was woken up and entered into the Coquitlam Auto Show in August:
https://www.tricitynews.com/local-news/vintage-gangsters-car-hits-the-road-again-in-port-coquitlam-4248938
https://www.tricitynews.com/local-news/vintage-gangsters-car-completes-circle-of-destiny-for-coquitlam-collector-3907292
Located in the Burke Mountain area of Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada.
Copy and paste in your email:  597f0ebcf70a3bc8a71ced3fe6031904@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1929 Hudson Super Six Model R 4dr Sedan.

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA a.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA b.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA ba.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA c.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA d.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA e.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA f.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA g.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA ga.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA h.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA i.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA j.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA k.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA l.jpg

'29 Hudson Super Six BC, CA m.jpg

• Like 2

At seventy-two I don't encounter new words as often as I once did, but "fettling" (from fettle) was new to me. It means to sort out, fix or put in tune. Actually, it's one we've all heard fairly often as in, "she's in fine fettle". I guess that I've always assumed that they were saying "fiddle".  Hudson sales climbed to third place in '29. The highest position that they would ever reach.

23 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

At seventy-two I don't encounter new words as often as I once did, but "fettling" (from fettle) was new to me. It means to sort out, fix or put in tune. Actually, it's one we've all heard fairly often as in, "she's in fine fettle". I guess that I've always assumed that they were saying "fiddle".  Hudson sales climbed to third place in '29. The highest position that they would ever reach.

Just another use of "insider jargon" in a failed attempt to appear knowledgeable and sophisticated....IMHO, of course 🙂   An interesting car, to be sure.

1927 had F head design , although different from 28/29.

It is not a one year only design.

I had a 1929 standard sedan with dual side mount wire wheels.

45 mph is just the starting point. Advertisements stated 70 mph cruise speeds

I drove at 70 mph a few times, need lots of open road ahead to stop.

Great driving and performing car for the era.

Nice example , but not " All" original.

Not sure about the front safety glass being original?

I had mine replaced with safety glass.

Edited by roysboystoys (see edit history)

Near as I can tell, he is asking $25,000 cad for the car, which is about $19,500 usd. It's only minutes away from where my sister lives and I was thinking about going to see the car when were to fly out to visit this week but we decided to postpone our travel plans. 

There is a lot to like about this car. But.... when the seller rambles on and on and is overly wordy to describe simple things I loose interest fast! I have tried to read the ad 3 times and still can't make it to the end. I appreciate knowing whats been done or needs to be done however a simple bulleted list will do! Maybe this is why I failed miserably with creative writing.

It was for sale several months ago, in long term storage condition. And significantly cheaper. It has been cleaned up and returned to driving condition , but I think the seller is trying to get paid regular shop rates for his time spent bring it back to driving condition.

The car was listed on BaT last month, got up to $7,205 with the reserve not met. I was a player up to the 5k mark, lol. Neat car, love the preservation of it, and it sounds like the caretaker did a great job getting it roadworthy again. The fact that he rebuilt the vacuum fuel pump instead of slapping on an electric one speaks volumes. Great car, but there is a limit to what it's worth.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1929-hudson-super-six/

32 minutes ago, roysboystoys said:

Just noticed this. I don't think vise grips came in the factory tool kit.

942446531_29HudsonSuperSixBCCAi.jpg.457f2ac6039cfb70aab8269602c41171.jpg

My Dad once steered his 1950 Nash Statesman home with a Vice-Grip following being broadsided from a collision caused by a speeding '50 Chevy convertible, and the failure of the steering wheel. Fortunately it was only a couple of blocks from home.

Vice-Grips, Crescent wrench, and a big pry bar can be very useful for short-term "repairs"

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:35 AM, cascadia said:

The car was listed on BaT last month, got up to $7,205 with the reserve not met. I was a player up to the 5k mark, lol. Neat car, love the preservation of it, and it sounds like the caretaker did a great job getting it roadworthy again. The fact that he rebuilt the vacuum fuel pump instead of slapping on an electric one speaks volumes. Great car, but there is a limit to what it's worth.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1929-hudson-super-six/

Assuming he paid something close to what it was advertised at when he bought it , the BAT high bid is less than he paid for it before he returned it to driving condition. Not surprised it did not sell.