Blackhawk comes up for air, in FL

NTX5467

Along with many cars which are/were neat when newer (and I was younger), at the upcoming Mecum Kissimmee, FL auction, I happened across the Buick Blackhawk again.  It will be interesting to see what it auctions to.  Other neat Buicks in the mix, too.  All 120 pages of "lots".

Merry Christmas,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

Read between the lines. Buick's definition of a concept car is "not intended to be licensed for street use."  MECUM describes the Blackhawk concept car as "only attended Buick events, avoiding the show circuit, spending time at the GM Heritage Center . . ."  Another way of saying that the Blackhawk comes with a bill of sale and not a title?

Whether it's been licensed somehow after the display at the GMHC remains to be known. All I know is that the local cops forced the Blackhawk off the streets in Flint. Roberta should know all the details.

My WAG: $150K

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint" 

Although GM might not have ever titled any of their concept/show cars, they HAVE been sold to people overseas where they CAN be sold withough the necessary USA emissions and/or safety equipment.  While GM did own the Blackhawk, it DID make the rounds to a few BCA National events and even to one of our North Texas Chapter regional events (as it was on its way to Houston for a movie shooot).

When the car was new, it was mentioned that it was emissions-legal up to something like the mid-1990s or similar, even with the highly modified engine in it.  Once it was sold by GM, it could be re-sold as desired, probably just not titled and such, without a factory-applied VIN.  BUT . . . in more recent times, it might could be titled as a "replica" or "street rod" vehicle.  In the absence of  real VIN, the state entity which issues the title, could generate a VIN-type number for registration purposes, typically.  Not unlike a home-built street rod which the builder/owner takes to their local DMV for inspection and affixing of the ID number for registration purposes.

Obviously, when the car was sold at auction the first time, some sort of sales/ownership documents were generated, which are probably still being used.  Maybe GM might get it back and make it into a tire smokin' EV?  Then it might turn up to spoil the Dodge EV commercials?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Something I thought about today . . .

As the EVs are basically silent in operation, what're all of the kids who now have loud exhausts and such going to do?  Rig up external speakers for "engine sounds" when they blow by at something near WOT.  Even a smoke machine for the diesel people?  ALL run from the in-vehicle infortainment center.  Waiting for their complaints of "no range" after they install large knobby-tread tires, too!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Haha 3

On 12/29/2021 at 8:57 PM, NTX5467 said:

what're all of the kids who now have loud exhausts and such going to do?

The kids? Go to a cruise night. Loud exhausts, sparse grey hair, 20 year old Hard Rock Cafe shirts, and support hose. That's the loud exhaust group around here.

The old guys cross their arms in front of their chest, stick out their lower lip, and say "Gotta reduce the back pressure". I'm just assuming they mean on the car.

• Haha 6

Ask them "What does back pressure sound like?"  Then ask them "How come a new Hellcat is quieter at WOT than your car idling?"  To me, the new Corvettes sound down right wimpy at idle, BUT they might well run 200mph, too.

Happy New Year!

NTX5467

On 12/28/2021 at 9:39 PM, NTX5467 said:

While GM did own the Blackhawk, it DID make the rounds to a few BCA National events

Yes, it was at our 2000 BCA National in Richmond, Va.👍

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...