Not sure which way to go... 70 Riviera

BrianM

I had plans to buy a barn find project late 60's Riviera or Cadillac and spend about $20k making it mine. I had resto-mod dreams with custom interior and years of work ahead of me. My wife was not on board with this plan and talked me into spending more up front and getting something that I could drive and work on and that she would be willing to get into and be seen on date night. After about a year of looking and getting out bid several times on multiple auctions I found what I think was a good deal. Picked up a 70 Riviera from an 82 yo gentleman who had owned it for the last 15years, and was reducing his car collection. Now I have a beautiful car I can drive and enjoy while I work on it. The problem I have is the car is almost too nice and original. I can't decide if I need to just restore/keep it stock or make it mine.  I have plenty of little things to work on for the time being like the A/C, cruise control, and gas gauge. 

So what is your opinion?  Keep it original or make it what I want?

20210918_110336.jpg

20210914_115045.jpg

20210914_115039.jpg

20210914_115028.jpg

20210914_115010.jpg

20210914_114929.jpg

20210914_114852.jpg

• Like 3

What I have been told:

vinyl top removed and car was repainted original color about 15 years ago

Motor was refreshed about 3k miles ago with new 30 over pistons and an RV cam (comp cams 260H) 

Supposed to be original numbers matching motor and trans

forgot to add under the hood pic

70buick99557-4.jpg

• Like 1

Your wife has a lot of wisdom. That's a PERFECT car to drive and enjoy. Project cars are highly overrated. LOL Modify if you want but try to keep it to mods that are easy to reverse. |Once you go heavily modified you just reduced the buying pool by about 80% if you ever go to sell.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Don't jump in. Maintain it and keep it nice for 20 years or so just to get the feel of it. After that think about changes.

I would put a correct original vinyl top back on. You might think the comments will roll off but you will quickly tire of the self appointed judges noting the top trim and asking.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the input everyone. I intend to drive the wheels off this car and not have it be a trailer queen but a real driver no matter the direction I go with the car. Current plan is to fix all of the little stuff I can that would improve the car overall such as getting the ac to work from the dash switch (works when I hot wire the compressor just not from the dash controls), windshield washer pump, cruise control, fuel gauge, and get some tunes in it, oh and I have a weird oil leak to sort out. I really want to do the drag and drive events and moving car shows such as cruising the coast or drag week. So my immediate to do list is pretty clear. (Creature comforts for the wife!)

I joined ROA last month and just got my first Riview magazine last week. The meet in Branson is within 4hrs of home so it may be my first event other than local shows and the first road trip with the wife in the Buick. 

If anyone is interested I will do a thread with the stereo install I have planned for the car. If it works as expected it could be a good option for others. Not cutting anything and only running 2 wires to the trunk and can be removed in a few minutes at less than $350 so far and could be cheaper. But that will have to wait until after Christmas as my wife is already wrapping the components and putting them under the tree.

• Like 4