For Sale: 1937 Buick Model 61- $19,500.00 Sold

74 Apollo

That is a good looking car with what looks like an appropriate price. I don't need another but wish you well in your sale. If you don't sell it quickly, let me know and I will be happy to advertise it for you in the next issue of the Torque Tube II newsletter of the 36-38 Buick Club. 

• Like 2

WOW, nice car.  Love the blue.  I remember looking a similar one in Minnesota and once I looked at the independent inspectors report I passed.  It wasn't all that I thought it was but the pictures sure did make it look good.  I think the price is right in there.  Heck, you could not restore one for 22K!  Moreover it is a Century not a Special.

18 hours ago, deac said:

WOW, nice car.  Love the blue.  I remember looking a similar one in Minnesota and once I looked at the independent inspectors report I passed.  It wasn't all that I thought it was but the pictures sure did make it look good.  I think the price is right in there.  Heck, you could not restore one for 22K!  Moreover it is a Century not a Special.

Very nice car to look at.  

On 11/18/2021 at 9:50 PM, dibarlaw said:

Matt:

Of course when I am weak this Century shows up. Much too nice for my pocketbook though.

You deserve it though, lot of car for the money, if any way possible,  go for it Larry. @dibarlaw

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• 74 Apollo changed the title to For Sale: 1937 Buick Model 61- Reduced

This is a bargain compared to what I have SUNK into my UNFINISHED 37 McBuick coupe.  Maybe the best cliche I can use to describe myself is..... " a fool and his money are soon parted"!?!?!?!   That being said,  I don't know the depth of the old restoration of the Century for sale.   I find parts and cars reasonably priced compared to north of the Canada U.S. border,  BUT I never see the cars in person to judge their condition in relation to the asking price.    I assume I could have bought a "driver" car for a fraction of the cost of restoring mine but it wouldn't be my McLaughlin Buick Coupe,  one of 311 made and probably very very few left.   The process has been a labour of love with a love-hate relationship.....  wish me well.

• Like 5

On 11/30/2021 at 6:40 PM, deac said:

about 12 to 13 hundred get out here in the west and you won't be under water with money!!!

It's too nice for an open trailer, especially now. I figure a dollar a mile for enclosed, so, maybe $1800.

I've already got a nice 1937 GM "B" platform sedan with a 40-year-old restoration in the garage, so as great as this asking price is, it's a car for somebody else. Three years ago, I would've been all over it.

It's a tough time of year to sell a car, but even so, I'm surprised it's still here.

Best of luck to the seller.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, suchan said:

It's too nice for an open trailer, especially now. I figure a dollar a mile for enclosed, so, maybe $1800.

I would love to own it and I have thought buying it but when it comes down to it I have no place to park it!

I appreciate the seller and administration allowing our thoughts and comments.  As with most old car purchases and considerations, it comes down to "the right time, right place" in life.   

This car certainly checks many boxes.  For some reason, I have gravitated toward the late 30's lately, and perhaps the 20's era Buicks.  

My (new) wife and I recently purchased our retirement quality home but my 2021 Toyota Tundra won't fit in the garage.  It's a 2 1/2 car garage with a workshop area in the half area.   I have no idea how long a 1938 Buick Century is, total length, but that is a consideration. 

It could have "my" spot next to her 2020 Chevy Blazer and my truck can be parked outside, but I doubt it would fit.  

Personal inspection by a forum member would be nice.  If the car is as nice as the photos, then this qualifies as one of those cars you buy because "you can't restore one for that kind of money."   I recently spotted a full on project in Kansas for $2,000 that IF (big IF) it ever gets correctly restored will cost at least $60,000, or 3 x the cost of this beautiful blue car. 

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

I have no idea how long a 1938 Buick Century is, total length, but that is a consideration. 

203 9/16 inches. About what passes for a full-size sedan or compact pickup nowadays.

It's a good place to gravitate. They're great-driving cars.

• Like 2

It is a 1937, not 1938, but that does not make much of a difference. By the book, a 1937 60 Series Touring Sedan is 203 3/16 inches long and 72" wide. You can just barely squeeze it into a 17 foot long space. For easy parking and being able to easily get in and out of the car, you would be better off with a 18 foot long space 7 1/2 to 8 feet wide.  It should be about a foot longer than the 2020 Blazer and width will be a bit narrower than the blazer.

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

One of my garages is a tight 2-car due to bench on one side and shelving on the other, so I installed an inexpensive convex mirror (about 18" x 12") mounted near the ceiling at the full depth of the garage to show how close to the wall & shelving the passenger side of the car is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 74 Apollo changed the title to For Sale: 1937 Buick Model 61- Reduced Still Available
  • 74 Apollo changed the title to For Sale: 1937 Buick Model 61- $19,500.00

One of you guys needs to buy it, because I've been holding back to give you the opportunity. Eventually I'm going to buy it and sell it to someone else for $25,000 and then you'll all be angry at me and I don't want that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Just like 60s Buick fan said...

Still considering it.  Its a very good price.  My issue is 1. Where am I going to store it and 2. How much time do I have to spend with the car since I already have two other classics ...uh... 2 old 1925 Buicks which are in need.

If the price had dropped before the snow flew and I finally recieved my insurance settlement and I got the wrecked 1937 sold as a parts car (that just left for Winnipeg last Wednesday). This thread would have been over by now and the pretty 1937 Blue Century would have been driven home to my Now finnaly cleaned out garage.

I know ... exuses.... excuses.

• Like 1

Larry,

An enclosed trailer could get it to your garage despite the winter weather. You are unlikely to find another that looks like that for the price. If I were you, I would take advantage of the opportunity and buy it before Matt Harwood does. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 8:44 PM, Matt Harwood said:

One of you guys needs to buy it, because I've been holding back to give you the opportunity. Eventually I'm going to buy it and sell it to someone else for $25,000 and then you'll all be angry at me and I don't want that.

The sales price is now open car money.........can’t help the sale of this very nice sedan.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 74 Apollo changed the title to For Sale: 1937 Buick Model 61- $19,500.00 Sold