What the heck is a "Build"???

Terry Bond

I suppose so, but being a carpenter I have and will continue to say I 'build' things. The side of my grand fathers pickup truck in 1949 said "Contractor and Builder".  When a customer has an Ikea cabinet I will assemble it. When they want a piece of furniture made in my shop I will build it.

Hmmmm.

Do you get upset when someone says motor instead of engine?

The term builder has been around since the first car was "built". Sure it has been used more when describing modified cars, but has it's own place in restored and "rebuilt" cars. I've had my hands in "builds", street rods to kustoms to restorations. The skill needed to work on any is in the same wheelhouse, be it welding, metalwork, woodwork or wiring. We've taken on cars where the only original part was the roof and the dash and reassembled that to a restored or restomoded (both) vehicle. Assembling cars is the same as building a car. Many components coming together to make a whole. At the end of the day, as the car is sitting on a show field or in your garage, you can say, " I BUILT THAT".

A restorer, a craftsman, a builder are one in the same and the project they are working on is a build. 

Now........a technician is not the same as a mechanic, that I am sure of.

• Like 2

Don't forget the "mechanic" whose primary tool is a fire wrench!👨‍🏭 or a BFH!

Mechanic is someone who uses his own intelligence to diagnose and repair machinery.

Technician is someone who has to use an electronic brain to do the same thing. Modern cars by design and intent require technicians.

• Like 1

For a long time General Motors called its in house training program " Technicians Guild ".  My father was a regular participant for at least 25 years, probably longer. Worked at a GM dealer for 35 years. Parts rather than service, but the program was open to both departments. Long before the electronic age.

1 hour ago, a griffin said:

A restorer, a craftsman, a builder are one in the same and the project they are working on is a build. 

Now........a technician is not the same as a mechanic, that I am sure of.

We used to get some enjoyment from guys bragging about their "Professionally Restored" vehicles, sure, they gave their money to someone.

Bob 

14 hours ago, Herb Iffrig said:

One thing that makes me cock my head sideways is when someone in a description of an item says "It needs restored". I always feel it should be "It needs to be restored"

If you go to small English villages even today, you will find the locals might speak that way. We would say something like "It's in the bedroom on the dresser" , and they would say "in bedroom on dresser".  Or we would say " you know nothing about that job" and they would say " thou knows nowt about job". We would say close the door and they would say " close door".

Doesn't cock my head at all because it's to the point., If you want to really cock your head you should try listening to the original English (before the Norman invasion), or should I say Deutsch.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 2:19 PM, Pfeil said:

If you go to small English villages even today, you will find the locals might speak that way. We would say something like "It's in the bedroom on the dresser" , and they would say "in bedroom on dresser".  Or we would say " you know nothing about that job" and they would say " thou knows nowt about job". We would say close the door and they would say " close door".

Doesn't cock my head at all because it's to the point., If you want to really cock your head you should try listening to the original English (before the Norman invasion), or should I say Deutsch.

Or talk to an Amish person.