scammer named nicolas burwell

Nicolas Macan

19 minutes ago, Nicolas Macan said:

He contacted me through aaca forum and he offered me a studebaker to disarm.  I almost fell into his trap. 

4 minutes ago, Nicolas Macan said:

I do not know.  He contacted me because I posted my email in an offer and wrote to me under this email: nicolasburwell78@gmail.com

Then he didn't actually contact you through the forum. He contacted you because you posted your email address on the forum. When you posted your email address you opened the door and he walked in.  There is nothing a moderator can do about that.

• Like 1

Just now, Ronnie said:

Then he didn't actually contact you through the forum. He contacted you because you posted your email address on the forum. When you posted your email address you opened the door and he walked in.  There is nothing a moderator can do about that.

that's right, my bad.  I'm just uploading this post to alert people to this guy.  Cheers

• Thanks 1

Always use the private message system here on the forum as the method of contact when you place a wanted ad instead of using your email address. The private message system has some safeguards to help stop scammers and it will help moderators get rid of scammers who sign up on the forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you google the e-mail address, you'll see that this name and e-mail address came up on a bunch of classic car forums recently trying to scam people.  He just changes the car he claims to have depending on the forum.

https://www.traction-owners.co.uk/forums/topic/urgent-scam-alert/

• Like 1

I’m looking to replace my broken windshield on my 1972 Tahiti Torino. Does anyone know where or who could help? I am even considering having a new one made but would love to find an original!!

6ee374f7-de41-4781-a798-6327ad9f3c01-jpeg.1043873

I have a complete 1972 Tahiti Torino to parts out , contact me via email for more details , nicolasburwell78@gmail.com
Like Reactions:Virginia 482

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicolas Macan said:

amazing and continues to operate without any problem.  I do not live in the US and if I could I would report it to the FBI cyber crime.

Reporting would be good I suppose, but doubt it would have any effect. This kinda crap has been around probably as long as the internet. Just keep an awareness. After reading the first couple of lines on his email to you I would have deleted. I was looking for a truck, found a 'too good to be true' deal on CL. The truck was listed as an address about 15 miles from my house. When I made contact with the seller I got some song and dance about how the husband died, the widow and daughters were selling his stuff off to make ends meet, and the truck was in Montana ( I live in MD) but they could ship it to me. I laughed, flat out called him a scam and deleted. Same add popped up in CL for different parts of the country.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

11 hours ago, Nicolas Macan said:

that's right, my bad.  

Moderators, don't blame the victim!

"Sorry, young lady.  I'm sorry you were assaulted,

but that skirt was short and provocative."

"Sorry, elderly woman.  You were mugged because

you shouldn't be out in your own neighborhood after dark."

Blame the criminal--unequivocally and firmly.  He's the

one who did wrong.

Ronnie, I agree with you that caution is sometimes necessary.

Maybe a phone number is better than posting an e-mail.

Sometimes, an ad with NO contact information is suspicious

in itself.  If I'm looking at some other forum and there's

a beautiful car for sale,  and I haven't joined all the car forums,

I can't respond if there is no contact information.

Thank you, Mr. Macan, for pointing out this wrong-doer.

He did wrong.  You did right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been on the hunt for a fender and could have fallen into a trap like this. When you need a part sometimes you get too focused on it to realize the scam. The poor English and a bank account in SC and an address in CA would make me think twice, if I was not over focused on the part. Something us older guys may have to realize more than a sharp younger person. So I agree we need you moderators to help point out turkeys like this guy and his scams. Hell I’ve needed help all my life in a lot of things now it’s especially needed in my body’s old age!  In my mind I’m still 25 with 3 times the experience. But that’s only in my mind. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Blame the criminal--unequivocally and firmly.  He's the

one who did wrong.

Ronnie, I agree with you that caution is sometimes necessary.

Maybe a phone number is better than posting an e-mail.

Sometimes, an ad with NO contact information is suspicious

in itself.  If I'm looking at some other forum and there's

a beautiful car for sale,  and I haven't joined all the car forums,

I can't respond if there is no contact information.

Thank you, Mr. Macan, for pointing out this wrong-doer.

He did wrong.  You did right.

I won't speak for Ronnie, but in my opinion this isn't victim blaming. This kind of scam has become rampant and the word needs to get out. Peter more often than not has a big red banner at the top of the page warning people about it. He currently has last minute Hershey information there, but no doubt the warning will come back at some point. Many other car forums have a warning banner at the top of the page. So many people still don't get it. The scammer will take the "sale" off the forum right away thanks to moderator's efforts to fight it, such as a minimum post limit before the PM function becomes available, and so on. They use fake names. Reporting the name they used does no good as it changes constantly. Typically there is some reason you cant contact them directly. Working on an offshore oil rig was the excuse for a while, but that has worn out. They love Western Union. The person (wife/SO/aunt/uncle/ etc.) to pay will be in a different state than the alleged car parts, making it hard to trace, harder to prosecute, and some jurisdictions wont even bother if the dollar amount is too low. Scammers continue to do this with impunity, and we must get the word out in the auto restoration community. Big red banners at the top of nearly every forum don't seem to be doing it.

Posting a phone number in a public forum is NOT a good idea, nor is posting an email address unless it is a throwaway account made just for the sale.

11 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

I’ve been on the hunt for a fender and could have fallen into a trap like this. When you need a part sometimes you get too focused on it to realize the scam. The poor English and a bank account in SC and an address in CA would make me think twice, if I was not over focused on the part. Something us older guys may have to realize more than a sharp younger person. So I agree we need you moderators to help point out turkeys like this guy and his scams. Hell I’ve needed help all my life in a lot of things now it’s especially needed in my body’s old age!  In my mind I’m still 25 with 3 times the experience. But that’s only in my mind. 
dave s 

I'll admit I have got ultra-focused like that when someone claims to have exactly what I need, and have almost responded, and I know better! Poor English can be a red flag, although many native English speakers confuse their/they're/there, its/is's, and so on. I fat finger things while typing all the time. People posting from phones make mistakes constantly either from fat fingers or autocorrect. That said, when you see some grammatical or spelling error that you, as a native English speaker have never seen before, that is an enormous red flag. It certainly should make you look at all the other details closer.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I wasn't blaming the victim. As a moderator I was offering to help track down this scammer and remove him from the forum. I was also explaining how these things happen and what to do to prevent it.  I was glad Mr. Macan started this topic about the scammer. I scan activity on this forum several times a day looking for posts that involve someone getting scammed or a spammer making posts that shouldn't be here.  After reading your post maybe it would be better if I stop doing that and let nature take it's course.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

"Sorry elderly man. Your money disappeared from your bank account because you transferred it to a bank account that was closed yesterday and the funds were transferred to an overseas account."

• Like 1

Probably the same person that I got an offer through the HCCA website.  This is what I sent him back.  He was located in Munich.  Have not heard from since.  SUPRISE!! 👍

To:nicolasislo7@gmail.com
Bcc:HCCA.org Webmaster Brad Balduff
Wed, Sep 8 at 7:52 PM
Nikolaus,
Bitte senden Sie mir ein Bild von dem, was Sie haben, mit einem Blatt Papier auf dem Bild, auf dem 1-2-1984 steht, und einer Kopie Ihrer lokalen Zeitung auf dem Bild. Ich bin computerversiert genug, um zu sagen, ob das Bild mit Photoshop bearbeitet wurde.
Wenn es in Ordnung aussieht und der Preis stimmt, können Sie es nächsten Monat zu Hershey bringen und wir können das Teil und das Geld umtauschen, wenn der Preis zu diesem Zeitpunkt stimmt.
Freuen Sie sich, von Ihnen zu hören.
Larry

Nicholas,

Please send me a picture of what you have with a piece of paper in the picture that says 1-2-1984 and a copy of your local paper in the picture.  I am computer savvy enough to tell if the picture is photo shopped.

If it looks ok and the price is right, you can bring it to Hershey next month and we can exchange the part and money if the price is right at that time.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Larry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If outside the forum the moderators can't do much. Byer beware and if it is too good to be true it probably is.

My dad was taken for several hundred dollars when he "bought" some script for his Plymouth. I put a wanted ad in Mopar Collectors Guide and a gentleman from New York City replied. My dad fell for it and after the fact I pointed out several red flags, namely the address was a postal box center and the picture looked to be a pintrest type. I had warned him to check with me first before sending any money but the guy said he had another person interested and he needed to send the money (money order) NOW if he wanted it. He wanted me to file a complaint with the magazine (i.e. like Hemmings) but I reminded him that I posted the wanted ad and the guy contacted him. Nothing we could do. 

Edited by ia-k (see edit history)