That's It - I'm Moving

JRHaelig

7 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Only problem with houses like that are maintenance. Just painting alone on the outside is like taking on the painting project of the Golden Gate bridge. By the time you finish, it's time to start all over again. 

I am going through that now Pfiel with my house in NY, I hate it,,,,,,,, I f'n hate it.! This will be the last time in my life I will do it one way or the other. It is so mundane.

1 hour ago, John348 said:

I am going through that now Pfiel with my house in NY, I hate it,,,,,,,, I f'n hate it.! This will be the last time in my life I will do it one way or the other. It is so mundane.

Guys, don't get me wrong on that house - I like it. When I was in my 20'a 30's 50's my wife and I loved the Victorian, Tudor - Half Timber, Cape Cod and Craftsman style houses. We still do, however our bodies have a rough time doing all the delicate and time consuming type of prep and finish work these type of houses require.

Below is a picture of one of the houses in our neighborhood in Prescott AZ. I don't know the style you would call it but these houses are easy to paint and maintain and they need to be because at 5,000 feet they must endure snow and heat low humidity. When you get older your priorities change in the decision making of buying a house. I would love a Victorian, but these days I would like to love it from afar rather that being a slave to it.

image.jpeg.862b92d0408265d7ca91777892f7873a.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Guys, don't get me wrong on that house - I like it. When I was in my 20'a 30's 50's my wife and I loved the Victorian, Tudor - Half Timber, Cape Cod and Craftsman style houses. We still do, however our bodies have a rough time doing all the delicate and time consuming type of prep and finish work these type of houses require.

Below is a picture of one of the houses in our neighborhood in Prescott AZ. I don't know the style you would call it but these houses are easy to paint and maintain and they need to be because at 5,000 feet they must endure snow and heat low humidity. When you get older your priorities change in the decision making of buying a house. I would love a Victorian, but these days I would like to love it from afar rather that being a slave to it.

image.jpeg.862b92d0408265d7ca91777892f7873a.jpeg

Yeah, but mowing those rocks is a bitch.....bob

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, zepher said:

I seriously need to get out of the People's Republic of Kalifornia and move to somewhere cheaper.

That same $330k wouldn't even get you a one bedroom condo out here.

The prices here are also an absolute disgrace, about 5 miles out of the centre of Melbourne you're looking at a tiny block costing $2m+ (mostly because they made it very very attractive to property developers so they build everything and anything to put rubbish side by sides on them)

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 9:06 AM, Pfeil said:

Only problem with houses like that are maintenance. Just painting alone on the outside is like taking on the painting project of the Golden Gate bridge. By the time you finish, it's time to start all over again. 

This is the very reason I bought an airless sprayer years ago when I had rental property.

Keeping up with the paint maintenance takes forever if you don't use power tools.

I checked the cost to rent a sprayer and I could pay for the sprayer outright after just 2 uses compared to renting.

That airless has been used dozens of times by myself and family/friends so it has more than paid for itself.

3 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Unless they're in your gall bladder.....😋........Bob

Or your kidneys.

Ever had kidney stones?

If not, trust me, you don't ever want them.

• Like 1

Just as we car fans may know good paint procedures,

so do house-painters have their knowledge.  From my

work in the building industry, I have heard:

---Some materials hold paint much better than others.

Redwood, Western Red Cedar, etc. are among the best.

My parents used one of the better woods and their paint

NEVER peeled.  They repainted every 10 years to keep it fresh.

---Fiber-cement siding (Hardie Plank is one brand) is said

to hold paint extremely well.

---And naturally, brick and genuine stone need less maintenance.

So keep up those dreams as you keep up your house

and your expanding car collection!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zepher said:

This is the very reason I bought an airless sprayer years ago when I had rental property.

Keeping up with the paint maintenance takes forever if you don't use power tools.

I checked the cost to rent a sprayer and I could pay for the sprayer outright after just 2 uses compared to renting.

That airless has been used dozens of times by myself and family/friends so it has more than paid for itself.

You can pressure wash,  spot prime and spray on a 2500 SQ. Ft. stucco house single story in my neighborhood in 4 days and that includes window taping. Just my wife and me. And I do have a commercial sprayer. But that "all wood house" with all that trim would take forever with all the sanding, priming and a first coat of different color paints which all have to be done by brush. Further coats on large pieces can be sprayed, but the important sanding, priming and first coat must be done by hand or you'll be doing it again much sooner than you think.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

I know how much work those older homes can be.

When I was in my 20's I helped a friend restore a 1918 Craftsman he bought.

Like anything else, prep is key.

We had to hand cut the individual shingles for the outside of the house since there were none available in the size we needed to replace most of the outside wood of the house.

House also still had the 2 wire knobbie wiring throughout so stripping the outside helped with replacing that with modern Romex.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:56 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/184-Congress-St-Bradford-PA-16701/127241589_zpid/?

Here's a grand old house for sale in northern Penna. for

$375,000.  Such a price might not get you anything in

the nice parts of New Jersey;  but here, it is one of the

more expensive properties.  Just an enticement:

b752aa6aa0a996bf1b60069197b6a496-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.jpg

My wife wanted one of those "painted ladies" a number of years ago.  I told her if she wanted one a lot, we would just build a new one.  The maintenance on a 100+ year old house can drive you broke or crazy... or both.

Best movie to watch to confirm that is "The Money Pit"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

My wife wanted one of those "painted ladies" a number of years ago.  I told her if she wanted one a lot, we would just build a new one.  The maintenance on a 100+ year old house can drive you broke or crazy... or both.

You have a really good point about maintenance, Larry.

But I see a good car analogy:  You can buy an existing

house (or car) that's already in excellent condition.

It's much cheaper than constructing one from scratch.

Say that house is 5000 square feet.  To match its detail

and quality would be about $300/square foot, or $1,500,000.

The existing house, already restored, is $375,000.

The $1,125,000 difference that you save can be invested

to pay for decades of maintenance;  a nice vacation;

and several enjoyable antique cars!

3 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

On painting houses, I have a friend that his in-laws had a house built probably in the teens or 20's. On painting the house he would paint one side every year and the next year paint the next side.  In 4 years the house would be painted.  He never painted the whole house in one year.  

Larry, 

I have been doing same one side a year plan myself. now I don't want to do it all! 

• Like 1

I just look up my first house I  bought.. I paid 55k for it with 20 percent down..  It was a great house built in 1917.

I thing my payments were  $232 or $323 a month..

I did park the kaiser Darrin  and the 55 Chev at the house..

Will have to look for pictures someday..

The house had 27 rooms.. If you count every room in the house..  Boiler room, Coal room .. etc..

housewww.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)