H.A. Moyer Carriage Company Of Syracuse, NY - 1911 Moyer Roadster - Researching ….

Trulyvintage

H.A. Moyer dropped out of school at the end of the third grade - it was a “ mutual decision “ between him and his Father.

Eventually he would own a carriage factory that employed up to 600 workers and a fledging car company next to the carriage factory in Syracuse, NY.

I have been informed by a good friend of the discovery of a 1911 Moyer Roadster.

Pictures are forthcoming - my research is ongoing - the car might possibly be for sale.

Jim

D148DD85-2040-4AE2-B978-71C569500AD0.jpeg.42ead4372046c87e9287930ac09c9e84.jpeg

EB67EB50-FE5D-48F8-B32A-68BD9D93E10B.jpeg.168799f6a4cf67154632794d6feb346f.jpeg

• Like 2

Probably the same company and one of the few dealers/distributors of that make of car. One of my friends in the Franklin Club ( he is now deceased this was 45+ years ago) owned a Moyer roadster that was a pretty slick looking and well made car. He and I went into Syracuse and looked to find the building that the car was built in and at the time it was still there , not changed , down to the wood framed windows.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, George Albright said:

I’m interested in the Moyer. Please contact me if it becomes available.  I collect Brennan engine of Syracuse motors and stuff. Thanks George Albright Ocala Florida cell weekdays 352 843 1624.  Email gnalbright@gmail.com 

Kirk Stevenson @ Vintage Rod Shop has a spectacular all original 1913 for sale right now on his website. Beautiful car- he figures it's one of 6 Moyer's left.

30 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Probably the same company and one of the few dealers/distributors of that make of car. One of my friends in the Franklin Club ( he is now deceased this was 45+ years ago) owned a Moyer roadster that was a pretty slick looking and well made car. He and I went into Syracuse and looked to find the building that the car was built in and at the time it was still there , not changed , down to the wood framed windows.

If this is the Moyer plant with the Victorian Home built on the roof there are have been plans in the works to turn it into luxury condos. The article I read explained that the house on the roof was a marketing ploy handed down from their carriage building days wherein they would  hoist a carriage onto the roof of the house on the roof of the building to garner attention. Pretty odd.      

The transmission cross members were marked with the car serial number.

D85CD542-25A3-4A01-84D4-A93193019A0B.jpeg.c5b94a597c7af51e933015b889fb6ce0.jpeg

The radiator badge.

48AF4636-AA3C-4BC5-A707-EFACD71E8933.jpeg.93ca065bded96cffbd4cad6711dffa4b.jpeg

I am not sure how many of the components of the cars were manufactured in house.

1911 was the first advertised model year.

Here is a clergyman in a later Moyer.

0465D470-C7DC-4AF4-8AD8-1C8B99377AAB.jpeg.0b811b7504d5a96d012663fae09035ea.jpeg

Jim

14 minutes ago, md murray said:

If this is the Moyer plant with the Victorian Home built on the roof there are have been plans in the works to turn it into luxury condos. The article I read explained that the house on the roof was a marketing ploy handed down from their carriage building days wherein they would  hoist a carriage onto the roof of the house on the roof of the building to garner attention. Pretty odd.      

Folklore has it that Mr. Moyer struck a deal

with the woman that he bought the land from for the factory that he would always 

have a model which approximated her home on the property - the scaled down model housed a 20 HP steam elevator 

engine and/or associated controls.

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/29/2021 at 10:24 AM, Trulyvintage said:

H.A. Moyer dropped out of school at the end of the third grade - it was a “ mutual decision “ between him and his Father.

Eventually he would own a carriage factory that employed up to 600 workers and a fledging car company next to the carriage factory in Syracuse, NY.

I have been informed by a good friend of the discovery of a 1911 Moyer Roadster.

Pictures are forthcoming - my research is ongoing - the car might possibly be for sale.

Jim

D148DD85-2040-4AE2-B978-71C569500AD0.jpeg.42ead4372046c87e9287930ac09c9e84.jpeg

EB67EB50-FE5D-48F8-B32A-68BD9D93E10B.jpeg.168799f6a4cf67154632794d6feb346f.jpeg

Wondering about the follow up with photos and info on the newly discovered 1911 Moyer Roadster you posted about 3 1/2 years ago?

• Like 1

If it’s the one I’m familiar with, it’s in a good home not too far from Syracuse and is exercised regularly….

On 8/30/2021 at 4:37 PM, md murray said:

If this is the Moyer plant with the Victorian Home built on the roof

Yes, it is. I viewed it often when visiting the Syracuse area and driving by on a major highway . Even got a very brief tour of the factory but not all floors and not the really cool Victorian home on the roof mentioned.

Jeff Moyer, the grandson of the car builder, contacted me about 30 years ago to re-wood the body of the Moyer touring that his grandfather left him. I think he still lives down near Binghamton????

Paul  

16 hours ago, Jim Mead said:

If it’s the one I’m familiar with, it’s in a good home not too far from Syracuse and is exercised regularly….

Is it this one Jim? If so, its a 1914 Moyer roadster (previous owner called it a 1913). Its the "newest" Moyer extant, Car #370.

But "Truly Vintage", who started this tread in 2021 said a 1911 Moyer roadster was found. Have yet to see photos of it.

FB_IMG_1665453254684.jpg

8 hours ago, Walt G said:

Yes, it is. I viewed it often when visiting the Syracuse area and driving by on a major highway . Even got a very brief tour of the factory but not all floors and not the really cool Victorian home on the roof mentioned.

Walt, you said on this thread that years ago, you saw a Moyer in the factory on one of your visits. Tell us more. Did you take any photos?

Here's H. A. Moyer's grandson,

H. Edward Moyer, with Moyer roadster, Car #370 in the late 1930s, sitting in the factory building his grandfather kept to sell Stearns-Knight and Velie cars and still  service the Moyer cars he built and sold. This roadster was purchased new in 1914 by A.B. Wood, Syracuse who owned the Syracuse Glove Factory. This photo most likely shows H. Edward when he purchased the car from Wood. The car was later sold and went to Pennsylvania and had 3 different owners there. John L. Baum, Sterling Walter and Verdon Rustine.

20230306_183952.jpg

That visit to the Moyer factory and inside was 40 years ago when I was a member of the Franklin Club and active in organizing and running their annual trek in August . (I no longer am a member - for me the club's focus changed direction.) . Have been there since to see the exterior of the Moyer building but not at least for 20 years.

Yes, I took photos, where they are after 40 years ???  I know I still have them but to take the time to locate them in my somewhat vast library just won't happen. I am aware to look for them now while looking for other material but can't specifically devote time to just do that. Hope you can understand.

Walt

• Like 3

Thanks - I was looking for a reason to go back and visit the museum again!  It's a great place and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't (or has) seen it.  ;)

• Like 1

My guess is that the Boston location carriage name plate is from a distributor or “jobber” as they were called in the Trade. In a large city they would work out of a (I love this term) Carriage Repository. 
I’ll have to check my carriage catalog collection for Moyer and Babcock. Found a paste board box of about 30 in a former blacksmith shop 40 years ago. Oh happy day……

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

That visit to the Moyer factory and inside was 40 years ago when I was a member of the Franklin Club and active in organizing and running their annual trek in August . (I no longer am a member - for me the club's focus changed direction.) . Have been there since to see the exterior of the Moyer building but not at least for 20 years.

Yes, I took photos, where they are after 40 years ???  I know I still have them but to take the time to locate them in my somewhat vast library just won't happen. I am aware to look for them now while looking for other material but can't specifically devote time to just do that. Hope you can understand.

Walt

Some photos of it in 2013: Take a tour of the mysterious house on roof of old Syracuse factory (video) - syracuse.com

and currently: Here’s what Syracuse’s famous house on a factory roof looks like after a facelift (video) - syracuse.com

Craig

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Walt G said:

Walt

Thanks Walt! Fully understand. Appreciate you keeping them in mind. Wasn't sure if you had them catalogued to easily find them. I know you were very busy writing a book last time we conversed. Thanks again!