1932 Duesenberg Question

Mark Huston

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

In deference to the current owner who is quietly known as a collecting godfather I’m withholding my criticism.

I love the chassis, history, and historical importance. The fact that it's severely cosmetically challanged is part of its charm. I would own it, clean it up, and drive it. It's a interesting  addition to any Rolls or CCCA car collection. You're  just not going to drive that car and pick up women with it. Not attrictive women anyways!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like it. its certainly charming in its own way and a refreshing break from the rank and file R.R.'s of the period. Those, even though many indeed have stunning coachwork, I find a bit boring after awhile. I hate to say it but I sort of feel the same way about Duesenberg's. While I certainly appreciate wonderful coachwork and design its refreshing to see the rare, odd or ugly ducklings that have survived. Whether a RR or Duesenberg - those odd ducklings might not win at Pebble Beach or Amelia Island or fetch top dollar but they are certainly interesting and hold my attention. I can't really put my finger on why I feel that way. Maybe its the thought (or assumption) that because they were less attractive and desirable they may have avoided over restoration or modification and simply seem more honest.

To the current custodian... thank you for preserving such a wonderful piece of history. I love it! It's unique, charming and interesting.

Any photos of how it appears today?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I love the chassis, history, and historical importance. The fact that it's severely cosmetically challanged is part of its charm. I would own it, clean it up, and drive it. It's a interesting  addition to any Rolls or CCCA car collection. You're  just not going to drive that car and pick up women with it. Not attrictive women anyways!

Some of us don’t worry about picking up women as we have a wife we married that is way above our station in life and better looking than we ever thought we would find. Plus I already get to have a young blond Miss Gracie (well 15 years old Use to have two but Miss Sophie is gone) riding in the back seat. So any Rolls or Bentley would be nice to have in the garage. 

I too would like to see better pictures of that Rolls Royce. But if they aren't out there to be seen? What I can see of it (in the link alsankle shared), I think I would like it. I often love cars most people don't like.

And speaking of photos 'out there'?  🤐

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

There are no modern photos of it. At least legible ones.

I have a few from the last 20 years......but can't share them by agreement.