The Wandering White Thread - A Custom 1915 Rare White Finds A Good Home In Florida

It sure is funny how cars find their owners. Oftentimes it’s a more interesting story than the car itself. Both of my White Motor Cars came about and into my garage by accident. Wasn’t looking for a car, and certainly didn’t need one. That said, I have enjoyed my White Motor Car journey and it’s still getting better every day. I always say, good cars keep getting better. That certainly applies to the two cars. Best part of owning them? Twenty new car friends, many close to my home in Florida. I have visited the new group of people at their homes, driven with them on tours, met up with them at Pebble and Amelia………all in just 18 months..….and I expect a life long relationship with most of them. Most of the White Motor Car collectors are eccentric or unique……….and so far, none of them have been “normal people” like myself………😏

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

"Had an interesting conversation today with the great grandson of Rollin White.........who owns a bunch of White steam and gas cars...."

Its great to get primary source information or in this case, as nearly primary source as is possible.    While he collects Whites, does he also have a Rollin?

Hi Ed, hey maybe we should swap chassis, my 1915 truck looks more like a car chassis, but it is a truck! all beit a small one, 9 ft 6” w/b and radiator that mounts to the top rails without the shock type mounts ?  and  Aluminium trans casing etc, ive almost got my 30 h/p white donor engine cleaned up just waiting on a new shaft for the waterpump and sorting out the mag drive coupling, this engine has a casting  date of 1919

cheers mike

8786B6B5-769F-43E0-92BE-A588AE6BD22C.jpeg

D5D5925E-54A2-4D5C-82CD-BE8E53A40F13.jpeg

587F2917-E910-4723-85E5-66100423CB04.jpeg

7D13A7D9-7C14-47DA-81C2-BD3E2DB943F7.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

"Had an interesting conversation today with the great grandson of Rollin White.........who owns a bunch of White steam and gas cars...."

Its great to get primary source information or in this case, as nearly primary source as is possible.    While he collects Whites, does he also have a Rollin?

Im guessing he does.......along with a Cletrac. He is the only family member that embraces the car hobby that I know of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A minor update finally..........we got all the new bushings made for the king pins........it was so loose that the southern boarder was tighter than the cars front end. We can get the front end on the car and start making more progress. I still have only seen the car once for fifteen minutes. I would like to hear it run. I think this car will be significantly more work and dollars to get sorted. One step at a time. Will probably pull the pan next week so we can eyeball the clutch.........which I am certain is smoked. We spoke to the last guy who worked on it. He was well meaning but didn’t understand the operation of the unusual system the car has....and that caused the cracked carrier fork, bent linkage, ect........more as we get time.....it’s usually busy at the shop right now, and those cars come first. Although you can’t tell, this cars front end is 33 percent smaller than the 1917 car. Everything is scaled down, and much lighter than the newer car.

BEB36C9E-43D0-47F9-A515-4BEB79AA093F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are we going to euphemistically call the 1915 the "little" White as opposed to the "Great White"? Two incredibly nice cars!

Of course, White built many more of the model GAs and GBs beginning in 1910 on through the model 30s. They were the actual "little" Whites! However, they were also well built and very good cars! I have followed a couple GAs on Horseless Carriage Club tours. Nice cars!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

A minor update finally..........we got all the new bushings made for the king pins........it was so loose that the southern boarder was tighter than the cars front end. We can get the front end on the car and start making more progress. I still have only seen the car once for fifteen minutes. I would like to hear it run. I think this car will be significantly more work and dollars to get sorted. One step at a time. Will probably pull the pan next week so we can eyeball the clutch.........which I am certain is smoked. We spoke to the last guy who worked on it. He was well meaning but didn’t understand the operation of the unusual system the car has....and that caused the cracked carrier fork, bent linkage, ect........more as we get time.....it’s usually busy at the shop right now, and those cars come first. Although you can’t tell, this cars front end is 33 percent smaller than the 1917 car. Everything is scaled down, and much lighter than the newer car.

BEB36C9E-43D0-47F9-A515-4BEB79AA093F.jpeg

Ed, 

Have you ever crack checked your spindles? I have made  it mandatory on my cars. Found cracks in several different makes. From what I understand is the steel used has to many points of carbon. Have had forging made and then machined out of 9310 steel. White used the very best materials of the day with good engineering for rugged service. Easy to check for peace of mind. George.

• Like 1

A group of sharks are know as a herd, a frenzy, a school, a shiver or a gam. As it is a  little thing compared to his other one I think an appropriate names are of course “The Great White” and “The Gam” as it’s a good looking little thing. Hope that’s not too poetically incorrect. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi George, yes we do check.........certain cars more than others. Interestingly I find newer cars more of a problem. On this car, we didn’t do anything except a visual with spray dye. We usually don’t do shortcuts, but we needed to get the car moved ASAP, and we didn’t get a chance to magna flux them. 

Lots of new news to update on White #2. Actually drove it today and spent another fifteen minutes with it. I will post later, as I have the PII Henley Roadster on the show field today. 👍

• Like 1

Got to spend just a little bit of time with the White #2 yesterday........I snuck away from the show field, and went to visit the car in Phil’s garage. He managed to assemble the front end without me......🤔, and had the car ready for my first time hearing it run, and to take it for a drive. It was a surrealistic experience. It was Phil’s birthday, and his identical twin brother showed up for the weekend. They still look identical.......I mistook Big Al for Phil. Was quite amusing.........only their voice and speech mannerisms are different. The rest of their personality is identical. 

The car sat for 6 weeks and started easily. The front end was so bad that Phil called it underivable and took it apart the first day it arrived. Delays in supplies and machine shop meant it was apart for too long. Anyways, he also correctly adjusted the clutch, and repaired the broken and damaged linkage. It was an interesting drive......and made the following observations.

Car is MUCH lighter than the 1917, steers and stops easier due to the reduction of mass, and the larger steering wheel.

Transmission is a four speed with 3 as direct, and 4th is over drive.

Oil pressure was great. Car doesn’t overheat. Water pump is dry.

It’s shifting much, much better.......not perfect but 90 percent of the way there. I could easily up and down shift it without difficulty or grinding gears.

All the lights work, as well as the generator.

I was flabbergasted that the body is steel, NOT aluminum. The hood is aluminum. The radiator is a one off modified truck unit made to fit the chassis......no doubt about it, it’s a one off radiator. 

Lots of other observations........it’s 100 percent certain the car is a 1915 chassis, much of the brackets and hardware are obviously one off type construction. Gearing seems similar to the 1917. This car has NEW brake drums, and new friction material......stops better than the 1917. The drums were replaced in 1982......really the last time this car was actively driven and serviced. 

The car has a fold down front seat........interesting......and it was built that way from new. See photos.

220ADF67-2420-4513-BBD8-356C115B7E21.jpeg

C02BAA75-D0CF-4DC7-912F-A25C446A0F05.jpeg

62439582-0785-473E-B5AE-CD5200DADA2D.jpeg

975C4390-260A-4BA8-8E7F-19D15C35E064.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You look as happy as a guppy in a gully washer!  Glad you are enjoying the little Great White as much, based on that smile, as the Great White. 

AJ how would you know it’s not Phil he’s showing in the pic.  We need one with both of them in one pic. 
dave s 

1 hour ago, SC38dls said:

You look as happy as a guppy in a gully washer!  Glad you are enjoying the little Great White as much, based on that smile, as the Great White. 

AJ how would you know it’s not Phil he’s showing in the pic.  We need one with both of them in one pic. 
dave s 

8390A4C8-B9B2-4C70-91C0-B21F45F9A291.jpeg

• Like 1

Ed:

Nothing like that first drive, is there?    By your smile and driving impressions, I'd surmise you are immensely pleased with the prototype White.   Congratulations to its latest conservators!

"I was flabbergasted that the body is steel, NOT aluminum. The hood is aluminum. "

Does this confirm or confuse the coachbuilder question?

"The car has a fold down front seat........interesting......and it was built that way from new."

Fold-down seats were developed for those who were auto camping while touring.  It certainly required more equipment to create a comfortable accommodation but 'roughing it' then was part of the fun.   Being a prototype, the fellows putting this car through its trials may have found themselves in places where no accommodations were available, ergo the White became 'home' for the night.

Steve   

Steve.......LOTS more new info..........supporting the 1915 "experimental" platform........... I think enough to close the door to any reasonable doubts.

Car is going to be great...........unfortunately we have more than just recomissioning work to do....unlike the 1917. It isn't going to be easy. 

Spending just a little time behind the wheel, and it's a different animal than the 17. I actually think the 1915....and yes, from now on thats how I will refer to it...........is going to be a better driver than the 17.

I located a correct magneto for the 1917........just about impossible as no one has ever seen a correct White 16V4 single plug magneto in photos or books that I know of. I have a good one on hand, and Phil and I will install it when we find time which will be next year the way things are going now. 

More later........Best, Ed.

• Like 2

Contrary to popular belief, we actually do real work at the shop. First question most visitors ask is......”it’s so clean in here, do you ever fix cars in here.” The answer is yes, we do lots of work, some of it is heavy engine and chassis work but much is routine maintenance. Today we were doing some brake work on a JN Duesenberg. Last month we drove the car in the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway.......doing switchbacks, mountain roads, and just overall “driving it like we stole it.” When you run them hard and fast through the turns.........they need attention when they get home. We had moderate brake fade from the three tons, steep hills, and crazy switch backs. If you have ever asked a Model J owner who actually drives his car.......what is the hardest part of maintaining a J or JN? It’s definitely the brakes. They are not much more complicated than a 1950’s five ton dump truck.......but mostly they take lots of time. Once you have done a dozen brake jobs they become routine. The have a very odd design, where the king pin and front wheel cylinder are all one piece.....so, if you have a wheel cylinder issues.......you got to press the king pin out. That was today’s project.......pull the king pin and spindle. Lots of special tools, and at the end of the day Phil commented he has never had so many tools out of the box to work on a front end.........in the photo you can see some but not all of what we used........the work wasn’t difficult.....but it was very time consuming as not to damage anything.

82607AF8-2524-4EE5-9F59-39ECF26837F1.jpeg

50446E60-F722-45A6-BB37-23FF8CCB6D9A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Here are two photos of a 1915 White 30hp open car. The windshield is IDENTICAL to the one on my White #2 ....aka 1915 White Speedster Touring with California Top. Also, the smaller wheels, hubs, and brakes are identicle to the 1915 30hp car. 

15_White_Model_30_DV_06_CAM_01-800.jpg

15_White_Model_30_DV_06_CAM_05-800.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Are you planning on painting your car?  The “Great White” looks good and probably more menacing as it is but the little guy may just look good painted. 
dave s 

Yes, I do plan to paint it.........My buddy Dave S has recently mastered the technique of pre war car paint work, and I was planning to have him do it for me..........😇

Sorry Dave, as usual, I can't help myself. I deal with 100 point cars ALL day long.....I'm fine with how it looks. I have a terrible attitude when people say.........you should paint that. I ask, Do you have a better one? Which with all of my cars the answer is an automatic no.......... I'm so spoiled with great stuff to drive, I'm only interested in my little 15 smoking the doors off a "Big boy toy" thats 100 points........puts a smile on my face. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

News Flash! 

Aj just sold me a family herloom car thats been in his family for four decades........don't ask; and AJ......don't tell. I will post it here in the new year when it comes south..........🥸

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Yes, I do plan to paint it.........My buddy Dave S has recently mastered the technique of pre war car paint work, and I was planning to have him do it for me..........😇

Sorry Dave, as usual, I can't help myself. I deal with 100 point cars ALL day long.....I'm fine with how it looks. I have a terrible attitude when people say.........you should paint that. I ask, Do you have a better one? Which with all of my cars the answer is an automatic no.......... I'm so spoiled with great stuff to drive, I'm only interested in my little 15 smoking the doors off a "Big boy toy" thats 100 points........puts a smile on my face. 

Thank god! I will at least know there are two cars out there that have a paint job that looks as bad as mine!  The best part is we want it to look like that😳

Ed, if that guy painted it it may look worse than the original paint on it now. But I do have a bunch of spray cans of different colors we could use. 

dave s 

Ed:

"The have a very odd design, where the king pin and front wheel cylinder are all one piece.....so, if you have a wheel cylinder issues.......you got to press the king pin out."

Is the wheel cylinder that device on the top of the king pin?  Is it unique to Duesenberg or were those utilized by other makers as well?

Steve

52 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

Ed, this may not be the right thread where you mentioned it but I am curious if Phil got the Studebaker pickup? 
dave s 

Still working on it, unfortunate news for the health of a very close family member has put everything on hold for him for the next 60 days. 

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed:

"The have a very odd design, where the king pin and front wheel cylinder are all one piece.....so, if you have a wheel cylinder issues.......you got to press the king pin out."

Is the wheel cylinder that device on the top of the king pin?  Is it unique to Duesenberg or were those utilized by other makers as well?

Steve

Just Model J's as far as I know......blue tape is the cylinder. It's part of the kingpin.......

IMG_4548.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, after months of research, countless hours chasing dead ends, and looking at suggestions from members here......I thought I had the body builder nailed down on the 1915 White..........WRONG! I’m back to square one.......and the adventure continues.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

Well, after months of research, countless hours chasing dead ends, and looking at suggestions from members here......I thought I had the body builder nailed down on the 1915 White..........WRONG! I’m back to square one.......and the adventure continues.

Ed: 

Which coachbuilders have been eliminated by your research?

Steve

The White was purpose built …

The fold down seat …

The courtesy light on the passenger

side of the front seat …

The combination of a lighter frame 

and a more powerful engine …

Built to spec ….

Start with the California Pink Slip

and trace it back to the original owner.

Please do not paint the White …

It is a Survivor - against all odds …

The Patina Helps Tell The Story 📘

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Ed said I get to paint it in a hundred years from now when he and Phil get to sort it out again. AJ gets to complain about our work and Steve M gets to watch while walking around barefoot in the warm FL sunshine. What Ed forgot is I also get to pick out the color, suggestions will be taken for the next 99 years and discussed on this thread to keep the suspense happening. So everyone has to stick around to get the final choice. 
dave s 

PS my wife thinks I’m nuts too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 1915 and 1917 cars will never be painted while I own them.......it's not even open to discussion. We were just having fun with Dave and his "Great Adventure".

As far as the body builder.......I have it narrowed down to .....no god damm clue...........but I have suspicions. I think it will be a best guess when I have more research. I honest think that I will never truly be able to prove it, but the research is fantastic from a history and entertainment point of view. 

Current best guess as to the builder.........Theodor Kundtz, with 70 percent confidence. Maybe. I think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If we can’t have fun, what’s the point of having old cars, friends to give you a hard time or life for that matter. I’ve always said if you want to chew me out go ahead I have more ass than you have teeth. If you want to have fun with me go ahead I’m a pretty big thick skinned guy just be ready for the same and enjoy the laugh. 

I bet your research is fun, the new stuff you learn about this fabulous machine has been fun for all of us. So get back to the books and research and figure it out already. 
dave s. 

• Like 2

Dave,  a day next month you can back the Stude into the garbage truck so the car and you can have a symmetrical repair experience! Something akin to “Liquor in the front, poker in the rear.”  That’s a sign on the Package Store bathroom at my local establishment that sells me Crown Royal. 

“I see said the blind man picking up his hammer and saw,” “you do said the deaf mute;”  “while the man with no legs got up and walked away.”

• Haha 2