Tier II Concours

With the recent discussion on top concours what are opinions on smaller or less established concours events?

For example we try to get to Greenwich every year, but have not done the one in NJ (fall, event, is it called Radcliff?) or the newest iteration of the Newport concours.

The "Klingberg Concours" is more a handpicked invitational section of a larger show but they do draw some great cars, and Lime Rock has a concours but really anything goes from a PB quality Bugatti to a nice driver level 57 Chevy wagon that seems to show up each year.  Is it a level III concours?  We try to go every year though as well.

Curious what folks consider premier events in their neck of the woods.

Would be interested in opinions on these.

There are lots of fun second tier concours out there, I look at it as a nice place to go for a weekend trip.  Not nearly the pressure of Amelia Island or I am sure PB but a more relaxed atmosphere.  My friend and I try to pick out two or three events a year somewhere we haven't been.  Someplace that has good restaurants and something our wives will enjoy, like shopping or spas.   If we win our class great, but we both enjoy just showing our cars and talking to others who enjoy them. 

There does seem to be a lot of HP around the Audrain Concours and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.  I am looking forward to the tour on Saturday for sure but Newport is a great destination with something for everyone to enjoy.  The venues available for the show are fantastic and will have some wonderful photo opportunities.  I hope it lives up to the hype.

Edited by Avanti Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Avanti Bill said:

There does seem to be a lot of HP around the Audrain Concours and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.  I am looking forward to the tour on Saturday for sure but Newport is a great destination with something for everyone to enjoy.  The venues available for the show are fantastic and will have some wonderful photo opportunities.  I hope it live up to the hype.

I love Newport.  

The Hilton Head Concours seems to be a pretty well put together event spanning a week in Mid October. Generally I believe it doesn't compete with other things on the calendar. Usually a spotlighted theme is chosen. They have a good chronologic range from the 1890s (sometimes) to modern. Recent highlights include Fatty Arbuckle's Pierce 5 years ago, The Thomas Flyer, a Swedish 540K, the special edition James Bond DB10, a Tucker, wooden speedboats, microcars, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prewarnut said:

The Hilton Head Concours seems to be a pretty well put together event spanning a week in Mid October.

A big plus for Hilton Head is the associated Savannah Speed Classic vintage racing event.  Much more relaxed then Amelia Island and not as prestigious which is fine with me.

• Thanks 1

While not a concours, my two favorite shows are the invitational events at Greenfield Village outside of Detroit.  The Old Car Festival is in September featuring cars, race cars, period speedsters, trucks and bicycles from the 1700s (a running Cognot Steam tractor replica was there a couple years back) to 1932. On Father's day weekend in June the Motor Muster features cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles built from 1933 to 30 years old. And no, modified cars are not invited. These are great shows and belong on everyone's bucket list. 

• Like 1

I've been to both Mara-Lago and Boca in January and those are pretty decent shows.   Mara-Lago itself is worth the visit.   

Unfortunately,  the only picture I can find from Mara-Largo has an old fat version of me in the picture.

Btw,  I want to point out that it was pouring and there were dozens of multi-million dollar cars out in the rain.

IMG_5157.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lime Rock concours, the anchor event of "Sunday in the Park" part of the vintage fall festival.  Obviously it leans heavily toward racing and sports cars, so not the best place to see a variety of brass and Classics but still a great event.  They do a nice job drawing featured marques as seen here. 

Marque parking for non concours participants on the other side of the track draws around 1,000 or so cars.  It can be a long day to take in everything.

20180902_134317.jpg

20180902_133455.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I've been to both Mara-Lago and Boca in January and those are pretty decent shows.   Mara-Lago itself is worth the visit.   

Unfortunately,  the only picture I can find from Mara-Largo has an old fat version of me in the picture.

Btw,  I want to point out that it was pouring and there were dozens of multi-million dollar cars out in the rain.

IMG_5157.jpg

Detroit side vs. Hollywood side pose next time please.

I agree the Boca Concours event is well put together and we had a wonderful tour up to the Breakers in Palm Beach (ran out of gas on the way back, turns out the gauge was working).  My only thought was the major sponsor's name was too prominent throughout the show which I thought commercialized it a little too much.

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

IMG_5157.jpg

You still look the same.......except older......and fatter. Funny how your coat is covering up your Bernie Sanders/Hillary Clinton for president T shirt. Classic Sports Car Sunday at Trumpie’s place is always a good time. That’s an exceptionally nice automobile behind you. The venue and the car are both top notch......how the hell did you get in? 🤔

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the Hilton Head show very much when I went a few years ago.  We also enjoyed the Keeneland Concours in Lexington, KY in 2019, though it was very hot that July, which may have influenced what appeared to be lower-than-expected attendance.