How Do I Keep Mice Out of My Glove Box?!?

carbdoc

On 4/27/2021 at 7:32 PM, carbdoc said:

Mice have been nesting in the glove box of our 1987 BMW 325e on a regular basis for some time now.  I clean them out, and back they come (perhaps they never "left" but simply migrated elsewhere in the car; I don't know).  The car in question is an HPOF vehicle and it is actually driven fairly often, so this is even more of a mystery to me . . . and I don't seem to have this problem with our other cars.

So:  what can I put in the glove box (or anywhere in the car) that will keep them out?  I would rather not go the "mothballs route" if possible.

Jeff Dreibus  dryer sheets in my cars duriong winter mos.

Keeping them out of the glove box starts with figuring out how they got in the car. If there is a hole can you plug it?  I have had great luck using stainless steel scrubbies to deter rodents. 

I have heard that rodents will follow their own droppings as a trail. That includes urine. So treat the path and areas around it to eliminate that. 

In my last car with this problem I put a piece of aluminum window screen over the air intake for the heater system. Conveniently attached by spring paper clips I have not found any more in the car or the heater system. 

11 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Keeping them out of the glove box starts with figuring out how they got in the car. If there is a hole can you plug it?  I have had great luck using stainless steel scrubbies to deter rodents. 

I have heard that rodents will follow their own droppings as a trail. That includes urine. So treat the path and areas around it to eliminate that. 

In my last car with this problem I put a piece of aluminum window screen over the air intake for the heater system. Conveniently attached by spring paper clips I have not found any more in the car or the heater system. 

Let's put it this way, John:  I've never owned a vehicle that mice COULDN'T get into, and I suspect that no vehicle was ever built that CAN be made entirely mouse-proof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

To get into the glovebox, they have to get inside the cabin of your car. Either through a rust hole or an air intake. Find it, block it, or place an additional screen in front of the air intake. Usually the cowl area. 

I am not a believer in poison because of the likelihood that they will crawl off and die in the car. Old fashioned snap traps baited with peanut better work well for me. I have a 10X20 foot storage unit and I have at least 10 of them set up in there at any time. I put them along the wall with the business end closest to the wall. I was told to do it this way by an exterminator who said that they like to stay close to walls when they walk around. He also told me that they like to hide in closed up areas, like your glove box. I know it seems illogical, but leaving the glove box open will discourage them from hiding in there.

• Thanks 1

Leave the door open and fill the glove box up with rodent be gone...you will be free of them for a couple months.

But better yet use mouse traps on top of the battery and engine for a week or so to catch and kill the problem rodents before they enter the car. When you catch no more of those stinky critters

you won't have the problem for a few months.

But they will be back....the use their urine to make trail and teach others of the cool places to nest.