1950 buick radio removal

Mr. Reed

Hello. I'm my 50 super the radio doesn't work. The manual is confusing to me. I'm looking for the a cable and the fuse for the radio. I know there is a fuse in the block under the dash which I replaced. Where is the other one? The manual says I have to pry the knobs off. What about the chrome plate that goes around the knobs which has the ash trays and map lights. Does that need to come off too. I'm not familiar with the function of these radios at all. Thanks

IIRC this radio's speaker is built into the radio unit.

Go behind the dash and start tracing wires. This radio should have a power source and ground wire, and a thicker antenna lead-in wire. Disconnect those.

Pull the radio's knobs off the shafts and you should see a nut on each shaft, behind the chrome faceplate. Unscrew those, and any braces holding the radio to the dashboard structure. Once loose, remove the radio from behind the dash. 

It's a tube type radio, which means a tube or capacitor/vibrator has probably failed after 70 years. There are people who can repair your unit to as built, and others who can replace its internals with modern components.

A tube radio is not "instant-on". It will take a minute or so to warm up before it will play. I usually turn the switch "on" at minimum volume and wait till I hear a low hum. Then turn the volume to comfortable listening level. 

• Thanks 2

Ok so when I turn it in on the dial doesn't light and I don't hear anything coming from the speaker no crackling or anything. So I don't have to remove the chrome covers or anything that's good. I'll have to remove the radio for further repairs. Thank you so much.

That radio has a wire connector in the back that plugs in (bayonet type) with a fuse to supply power.  Fuse might be blown. If so why? Put a new fuse in if it blows again there's a short in the radio. You might be able to get at it without removing the radio.

bill@billtheradioguy.com

• Like 1

Ok I removed the radio from the car and wouldn't you know under lots of dust it said blown fuse on the top. Two of the  delco tubes in the radio were black inside the glass and not clear like I think they should be. We have a tube tester and are going to test those tubes. The radio did have a new looking fuse in it but I haven't hooked up any power to it to see if anything works.ill check the manual to see what size fuse it should be. There was two wires going in the back of it one for the antenna and one for the fuse.

Edited by Mr. Reed (see edit history)

Go ahead and test the tubes. You can tell nothing by looking unless they are white and powdery inside. Black/silver/burned looking is normal. White and powdery is bad. Don't put too much stock in what the tube tester tells you, except for shorts and gas. Even then be skeptical if you are not very familiar with the particular tube tester and it's known faults. In particular, don't go out and buy a bunch of new tubes because the tester said one was weak, or to "start out new", unless you like throwing money away. The chances of it doing any good are close to zero, unless a tube is completely burned out, and wont light up or move the needle on the tester at all. The tube tester should sort that out.

Tubes are the absolute least likely thing to be a problem, except maybe the 0Z4 if it uses one. Those had a shorter life than the rest. It is a gas tube and has no heater inside to light up like others. The gas lights when it ionizes, but you may not be able to see it.

The paper and electrolytic capacitors have an extremely high probability of being bad this many years in, and they should really be changed before you even attempt to run it. At the very least, you must replace the buffer capacitor for the vibrator. it will ruin your vibrator if it is bad and it *IS* bad.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, Mr. Reed said:

Where would I find a diagram of what everything is in this radio. I know what the tubes are but not much else. I'm not familiar with these by no means.

The Sams photofacts mentioned above are the diagrams.

• Thanks 1

You may find you are at the mouth of a whole new rabbit hole, Mr. Reed. 😁

The link  Padgett posted above will get you to Sams service notes and a schematic, but the information is orientated to 1950s service techs.

It isn't rocket science but it can get a little complicated, to say nothing of time consuming.

If you don't want to develop the skill set to tackle the job there are folks on the  web who specialize in this type of radio.

If you do decide to get into the job the should be help here: https://antiqueradios.com/forums/

Whatever you decide, have fun.

• Thanks 1

I went through the trouble of replacing my non working 55 Chrysler radio with a wonder bar radio and when I was done, all that I could receive was two stations. Both of them were not in my liking so I never turned it on again.

Don't waste your time, install a hidden FM radio somewhere and enjoy.  👍

16 minutes ago, Roger Walling said:

I went through the trouble of replacing my non working 55 Chrysler radio with a wonder bar radio and when I was done, all that I could receive was two stations. Both of them were not in my liking so I never turned it on again.

Don't waste your time, install a hidden FM radio somewhere and enjoy.  👍

You're right, of course, but the dearth of listenable AM stations seems to be regional, there are some 'Old time' music station in the Northeast and even a few rebroadcast recorded 40s and 50s programing. Not a lot, though.

A second hidden FM/Bluetooth radio is my preferred alternative to gutting the original radio and making it into something it isn't.

For my Corvair I put a Clarion with remote control and bluetooth in the glovebox. The rest of my cars have AM/FM/Stereo (including the Judge - GM had FM stereo in 1965) and I just link my cell phone. All of my cars have "hands free".

• Like 1

If you have radio repair knowledge and skills, or even a basic knowledge of vacuum tube electronics, you can probably fix it. If not it's worth the money to have a competent radio tech do it. The tech will also clean, lube and adjust everything to get the set's performance to as new.

Roger, hate that your WB didn't perform well. AM can be a little sketchy now since it's majority talk, news and sports. Most are fairly low power too, and in a crowded daytime market it's tough to find a strong station with decent programming.

But lord don't these old AM sets come into their own when the sun goes down and the clear channel stations crank up... they'll take you to other worlds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMO the radio in my car will be the last thing that I tackle. I found a perfect delete plate at a swap meet and will divert the time and money to other areas of the car and the radio will be the last thing that is done. In the mean time I will use the music on my phone. 

Are still a number in O'town:

540 AM WFLF Orlando's Right Talk.

580 AM WDBO ESPN Orlando.

660 AM WORL Conservative Talk.

790 AM WLBE Oldies.

1060 AM WIXC News Talk Radio.

1080 AM WHOO Florida Sports Talk.

But once used to FM, AM is OK for talk but just baaaad for music. And I am deef.

• Like 1

IDK bout that, Padgett... since majority of FM stations now are affiliated with Clear Channel Communications or IHeart Radio, finding a station without a condensed playlist can be frustrating. I can tune to the Roanoke VA rock station, then step down to the one in Wake Forest NC and get the exact same playlist on a 5 minute delay. Both IHeart stations.

Fortunate enough to be able to receive an independent FM rock station in Greensboro NC, a 60s-to-80s AM station in Raleigh, and strong FM jazz and classical stations- though two local fundamentalist stations sometimes stomp those depending on where you're driving.

*edit* was gonna try to post video of the 1965 KLH Model 21 FM receiver doing its thing on the Wake Forest NC classical station but forum won't take my phone's video format. Fooey. WCPE 89.7 FM for those who would like to try it. They stream on the web too.

• Thanks 1

AM radio programming in my area, even at night is so bad I don't bother anymore. My 36 Pontiac has a delete plate and I am not looking for a radio. That said, these original radios have a bit of atmosphere that a modern substitute can't quite add. like that Bwommmmp! noise the vibrator makes when it starts, the slow fade-in of the music, and the faint smell of dust on hot tubes and wax. If you want the phone to come through it, an input could theoretically be added. Better yet input devices exist that only require plugging in series with the antenna (and probably resetting the antenna trimmer).

For service information, the Photofact may be available on Ebay for less money than some other sources. It is worth looking. You'll need the model number of the radio.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Don't forget, two muisc stations still on the nighttime air are 650 WSM, if country music is your taste. They have been at it since 1925, the Grand Ole Opry. And Toronto on 740 is now Boomer radio, fits most of us on here....😆

I grew up listening to AM radio in the car, so I LIKE it when the music  fades/crackles/changes phase. Crystal clear sound in a car is SO unatural for anything before 1965.🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Reed said:

I'm only 26 but I love all the old music and modern smooth jazz. This is my first old car and I'm a Buick guy. This car definitely is not like any modern car.

Dang- reminds me of when Adam Martin and SebastienBuick came to us. I think Adam was actually still in his teens when he started with us.

In some respects, Buicks of that era aren't even like other cars of that time!

Tell us more about yer Burick, young'un!

Well I purchased the car last September. It's a 50 super sedan with the dynaflow automatic. I saw it on Facebook marketplace. The man I bought it from did a little work on the car but lost interest after owning it for a year. It was saved from the junkyard by his friend. It's complete but didn't run or have brakes haha. All the glass is dated may 1950. i have a few pictures of the car when I picked it up. I'll take more soon. So far we have done a new radiator, gas tank, new hoses and vacuum lines, torque tube seals, motor mounts, new transmission fluid and water pump, tires and brake parts.

IMG_20200628_123105.jpg

• Like 2

I'm debating whether to put new seals around the windows and doors. All of the seals are around $2000. The body needs some love so I'm not sure about spending that much money if the panels will need to come off for body work.

• 3 weeks later...

Great car, Ive had a 50 super for 47 years.  My radio died soon after I got it, and then I pulled the radio and got it fixed.  It was the vibrator tube.   Recently, after an 8 year sleep, it quit again, but I drove around when I got it back on the road, and inadvertently left the radio on.  It started working again, and I suppose the vibrator tube needed to be nudged.  The moral of this story is, now whenever I drive it, I run the radio for a bit, to exercise the tubes, even though the radio signal and station sucks.  Now it is still working after a year and has that great old sound you can buy on a modern radio.