Horse Drawn Pickup

TAKerry

What's a buggy with two horses called?

Amish hot rod!

A friend in upstate NY retired as a deputy sheriff. Told me the craziest call he ever worked was a bunch of Amish boys who had got drunk during Rumspringa and were drag racing their buggies thru town.

Kids and vehicles are the same all over the universe.

There's a large Mennonite community here and this group sends their kids to the public schools. I was friends with a couple of those boys and even though they knew they couldn't have a fast car of their own, they would happily ride shotgun with you!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TAKerry said:

49182966478_d398849674_c.jpg2019-12-07_12-27-22 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Thought some of you might like to see an Amish pickup truck!  I was talking to one fellow at the lumber yard loading up his buggy. He said it was built in 1977! Had some work done over the years though. Heck, thats when my 'Antique' was built.

He'll play Hell stacking sheets of plywood on that.  Maybe strap them to the roof? :)

• Like 1

It is indeed!

The Buick is the entry level one for 1912, the Model 35.  The engine has the same bore as a Model T Ford, but 1/4 inch less stroke.  The car is half again the weight of a Model T, but it has overhead valves and a three-speed transmission, so it outperforms the Ford.  The Ford is easier to drive, and either car is less cantankerous than the horse!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mobileparts said:

...(Wink Wink -- I don't know how to do emojis !!!!)

To do emojis, look at the banner above when posting and look for the 🙂 face and click it. Then click the one of your choice.   

All of the Amish contractors have their fleet of modern trucks. Heck, most I know are nicer than mine!! Typically they are 4 dr crew cab, 2500's with caps. They own the trucks but dont drive. They will hire a 'driver' for that task, usually one of their laborers. There was a crew working on one of our jobs, the 'driver' had a falling out mid day, got fired, quit or whatever. He left, walking home. The Amish made a phone call (all they guys I know have I phones), had a replacement driver there by quitting time. Dad picked up the guy that quit, he was hitchhiking, and took him home. He was about 2 hours away!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

A few years ago on the Sunday of the Hershey Hangover, I passed a Mennonite church just as services were letting out.  I pulled over to take some pictures.  The young Mennonite men were delighted by the car; the Mennonite horse, not so much. 

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

If those photos were taken with a period film camera they could pass for a hundred years old! Only thing that gives it away is the signs and guardrail!

All of the buggies in Lancaster Co. are primarily grey. I was on vacation in the finger lakes region and there was a large Amish community, all of the buggies there were black. I have seen a few all black in the extreme northern part of Lanco. though. I asked one of my 'Amish friends' and his answer was that he didnt know. I get that a lot when I ask him questions. Either he doesnt know or doesnt want to say, I suspect the latter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

All of the buggies in Lancaster Co. are primarily grey. I was on vacation in the finger lakes region and there was a large Amish community, all of the buggies there were black. I have seen a few all black in the extreme northern part of Lanco. though. I asked one of my 'Amish friends' and his answer was that he didnt know. I get that a lot when I ask him questions. Either he doesnt know or doesnt want to say, I suspect the latter.

You probably don't know the secret handshake. :)

maybe this will help. 

Amish buggy colors vary:

• Black-black-topped buggies are common in the Midwest in communities such as Holmes County, Ohio and Elkhart/Lagrange Counties in Indiana.  Black buggies are also found in Smicksburg, Pennsylvania, and among the Renno Amish in Big Valley, Pennsylvania.  Designs vary among communities.
  • Gray-a gray top indicates a Lancaster County buggy or one of its daughter settlements.
  • Brown-brown-topped carriages are found at the Amish community at New Wilmington, Pennsylvania, and at its daughter settlements in New York.
  • White-White-topped buggies indicate a Nebraska Amishsettlement, the only Amish group to use the white top.  Nebraska buggies have an open front, lacking any sort of windshield.  Nebraska Amish are found at Big Valley, Pennsylvania, and also near Andover, Ohio.
  • Yellow-Unusual bright-yellow buggies are driven by the Byler Amish, one of the three main Old Order groups found in Big Valley in Pennsylvania.  The Byler Amish group is the smallest of the three Amish affiliations in the Valley.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The Ohio Amish community has been declining over the past several years due to the old order Amish shunning the enthusiasm of the younger members at picnics and barn raisings.  The purists among them shun their 20th century ways.  The board of bishops have decided to open the pastures to admit modified buggies in order to attract the interests of younger members. 

amishbuggyhotroad.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Photoshop or just a put on.  I call bs on that. No way any Amish in my 'hood would drive something like that, even if they were permitted!

That image screams “created by an unskilled photoshop user” to me. Perspective on the wheels is the first thing that jumps out at me.

• Like 1

Zoom it and you'll see buggy wheel spokes behind the dubs.

I'm no expert on Amish but except for Rumspringa I think most of them stick with the old ways. Mennonites on the other hand have assimilated more and more- here anyway, even one of our county Extension agents is Mennonite. If we could get either group's craftsmanship in our old cars we would be fortunate indeed.

• Like 2