1966 Cadillac DeVille Convertible

Jeffery Johnson

I am a senior in high school and I would like some help. My grandpa owns a 1966 Cadillac DeVille Convertible. It was his since he bought it used in 1972. He didn't drive it very much and eventually, he parked it in 1978. About 20 years ago, he started restoring it, and took off some outside chrome, and some interior, but that was basically it, and it has been sitting there since. He doesn't want to get rid because there is a lot of history in the vehicle, but he will never do anything with it and it is just sitting there, taking up space. (The thing is like 20 feet long!) I really took interest in the vehicle, and I think I should restore it. That way, he will stay in touch with it, and I could get a car that I could take to college. The car's body is in very great shape and has very little rust, surprisingly. But it doesn't run. It probably would only need some engine work, some work on the brakes, and electrical. Practically nothing will need to be replaced in the interior, because it is in really good shape. So overall, this would be a very cheap project. I actually talked to my grandpa and he likes my idea. The only problem is, my dad wouldn't think it would be practical. He is worried about the cost, even though it would be pretty cheap. He doesn't think that I won't be able to do the work, because I currently drive a 1978 chevy Silverado, which we both restored together, and was in much worse shape. (I would just take that to college, but I have two younger siblings who need something to drive to school.) He is just worried about how the car will hold up, which I understand. Old cars are very unreliable, but I did some research and the reliability was okay in this car according to reviews. He is also concerned about the gas mileage, which is something like 11.5 miles per gallon, but that wasn't very much than the 1978 chevy, anyways. But I can pay for that myself. So can you guys help me convince my dad to let me restore this car?

Where are you located?  Would this be a practical car to use in that environment (think snow). Parts can be pricey and reliability is unknown for things like transmission, radiator, most anything rubber and so on.  Can it be done?  Sure.  Will you want to deal with it in college where your study schedule can be hectic, that’s your choice. 

• Like 1

I'm 68, so I certainly have read quite a few posts from young people about doing a project, but most honestly sound like it would be impossible for them, as they had no prior hands on experience.  You are the opposite, you already drive a vintage GM V8 and helped restore it. 

I cannot see any reason why your idea won't work out.  When we were young, we fixed up a car, not really restore it.  If you don't get too carried away at first, it should not take too long or cost too much. Keep it simple for now,  and if it works out reliably, you can do more on cosmetics later. 

Gas mileage might be a bad thing if you commute long distance daily to college classes, rather than live on campus.

"as far as we know, we only live once"... "follow your dreams, not others".

• Like 2

I think you are right on this one. For basic machanics it's not that much different than your '78 other than there are points in the distributor.  You may not have the AC working or can't put the top down for now but it's a work in progress.  You will learn a lot from this car.

• Like 1

Make sure you change all the tail light bulbs IF you have the rear bumper off. They are a real chore as the bumper needs to come off to replace them!

The 66 429 engine is very robust when maintained.  Same wth the TH400 transmission and I've never heard of anyone destroying a rear diff on one of these. Get rid of the points, go electronic and get the carb rebuilt. The fuel mileage is bad for sure but not much worse than a 78 Chev truck.

• Like 1

Get the car running and roadworthy, then think about cosmetics. Sounds like you're capable of mechanical work.

Cadillacs had to be reliable as ppl who bought them new wouldn't put up with troublesome machinery, and GM knew that. Maintained properly they are no less reliable than a modern vehicle and certainly not as expensive to repair as a modern car with failed electronics. 

Tell your dad life is too damn short to be practical all the time. Or have him find you a Honda disposa-car to take to school and you work on the Caddy anyway. I admire young people who have the unmitigated gall to take on something like this!😏👍

• Like 3

I had a 67 Fleetwood 60 special that got 20 mpg on the road, it is in town where mpg goes down (also time spent finding a parking place). All that space is great for packing everything needed in college. It is also really easy to work on. Go for it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TerryB said:

Where are you located?  Would this be a practical car to use in that environment (think snow).

I like the idea generally.  I drove a collector car, 

a 1973 Buick Riviera, for 2 years as an everyday car.

I did it when I was 2 years out of college and was

working at my first job.  After that, I drove a 1973

Cadillac Eldorado convertible as a regular car.;  it

averaged 8 m.p.g. in combined town and highway use.

A realistic view is important.  An older car will require

more maintenance and repair than a newer car.  It can

be reliable, but occasionally things will need repair,

so make sure your college budget allows for that.

Also:  Do not drive it in snow!  Cars of that era rusted

easily, so if you drive it on snowy, salted roads your

beautiful car will deteriorate before your eyes, losing

almost all the value that you have put into it.  If your

home or your college is in a snowy climate, consider

enjoying the car after you finish college, when you'll

have the budget to use it only for occasional fun. 

• Like 1

One where do you live? More importantly where do you plan to go to college?  Back in the 60’s and early 70’s when I went to school ( made it in 3 terms — Johnson’s, Nixon’s &Ford’s) college campuses were very crowded and parking was at a premium. I had trouble finding a street spot for my Austin Healy! I sold it and bought a Suzuki X6 hustler 250cc for on campus and it was great. I can’t imagine a beast (meant in a good way) like that Cadillac being on campus. In another vain it would be a great chick magnet in many ways. 
I would take the plunge to get it running and have fun with it. But I would try to make a deal with dad and the younger siblings, sell the pickup buy a reasonable car for campus, leave the Cadillac at home for your siblings but they only get to drive it if they help restore it to running condition. When you come home it’s yours and they can drive the school beater that way they will at least respect it. I remember what my younger brother did to my restored Tbird when I got drafted and was overseas for a long year in 67-68. 

Take the time on the car and plan what is best for your education as it will pay dividends for a long time. 

Just my 2 cents that may not be worth a plug nickel . 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 2

That's four or more years the car's deteriorating from sitting and your grandpa may not be with you by that time.

My dad was the same way. Stubborn as a mule and once he had something in his head, no changing it. Good luck and stick around. Join AACA or the Cad-LaSalle club, and feel free to ask for help and advice here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's an old quote "I don't care what you say, I am not going to let you talk any sense into me." Just do it.

I turned 72 over the weekend and hardly ever took advice. When I look back the few regrets I have are for things I didn't do when I could have.

Ask your dad what regrets he has. It probably won't take long to get to "should have". Then you've got him.

• Like 1

Since you already have the experience I say go for it.

Like John in Penna, I drove a collector car as my daily driver for years.

Starting in the mid 80's I bought my '64 Malibu convertible and drove that as a daily driver commuting in So Cal traffic every day.

I got tired of shifting gears in traffic and picked up a used Toyota Camry after about 4 years of LA commute traffic every day.

But for a long time my daily was my Malibu.

Never left me stranded anywhere, never came home on a tow truck.

• Like 1

College today is very expensive and very fast paced.  I’m in my late 60s and went to college in the early 1970s for engineering. I have a son who just graduated from engineering school in 2016. Big difference in intensity and curriculum and competition between my days and his.  I can see you getting another pickup as a drive and fix up project over the Cadillac.  Pickup parts are plentiful and should be cheaper to keep running.   At college you need to keep your attention on why you are there.  It’s a BIG difference from high school life.  At college you are investing time and lots of $$$ in your future.  Make the best of your time there.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

That's four or more years the car's deteriorating from sitting and your grandpa may not be with you by that time.

That's a good point.

The best of both worlds:  Get the car running well,

drive it from time to time to keep it operating well.

But when you go away to college, use some other

car;  and when you get home on breaks and in the

summers, drive your collector car.  That way, you

will be preserving it for future decades, and maybe

in 2066 you'll have it as a 100-year-old car still in

your family!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

That's a good point.

The best of both worlds:  Get the car running well,

drive it from time to time to keep it operating well.

But when you go away to college, use some other

car;  and when you get home on breaks and in the

summers, drive your collector car.  That way, you

will be preserving it for future decades, and maybe

in 2066 you'll have it as a 100-year-old car still in

your family!

John, my son went to Drexel Univ in Philadelphia.  His schooling involved internships, mandatory part of school life there.  That translated into a five year program of studies with just one summer off, all the rest he was working at his internship jobs.  Cost of Drexel was insane compared to what I paid in 1970 at PSU. Good news was he had a flood of job offers at graduation.  School life was intense for him, not much free time.  My comments are meant to reflect that information to our poster.  I wish him all the best in his endeavors.

• Like 1

Lots of good points in this thread, especially the parking. That vehicle would take up FOUR parking places in a modern Wal-Mart parking lot!!!

You might need a parking pass on the football field at college!

I really like the idea of keeping Grandpa's car in the family. I have my Dad's truck. Grandpa never had a car, he believed in "single horsepower vehicles" ;)

Redo the car over time, and do it right.

I think many are underestimating the cost to make a nice driver out of a vehicle that has sat that long. Tires, all fluids, all hoses, all electrical ignition components including battery, complete exhaust, probably brakes, probably front end components would need replacing. Unless known to be otherwise, the engine, transmission, final drive, etc. are probably OK.

Find a beater to drive to school.

Jon.

• Like 2

Ok, from a historical POV. Grandpa had the chops to buy a nice, classy Cadillac convertible and hang onto it all this time since 72. Selling it will be a huge mistake! Just keep it stored until you can get everyone on the same page.

Say to your Dad, I never want to hear you say "I'm sorry for making you sell the Cadi" but if you sell call the guy typing this response!

• Like 1