Tire kicking

Buick35

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Tire kicking is to check for soft tires. Lo air.

Truckers often carry a club to check their tires.

When you have dual wheels, one can have no air at all but won't look flat because the other tire/wheel assembly is holding it up.

So you use a club to whack the tire to see if it has air in it.

Works great.

• Like 1

Where I grew up in rural Iowa Kicking Tires was a slang term meaning to spent the afternoon looking at used cars ie “we’re going out this afternoon to kick some tires”

According to Goodyear Jack m is correct 

Edited by Robert G. Smits
Addition (see edit history)

I drive a dually and tow either a 34 or 48 ft gooseneck. If the inner tire goes flat it starts beating against the other tire producing heat that results in a blowout of the second tire.  It also blows the plastic dually fender out. Ask me how I know. 

On 9/22/2020 at 3:24 PM, zepher said:

When you have dual wheels, one can have no air at all but won't look flat because the other tire/wheel assembly is holding it up.

So you use a club to whack the tire to see if it has air in it.

Works great.

as a retired truck driver with 22 years of driving a semi in 46 states, when looking at the dually tires, i could tell if one of the two tires were low or flat by the other tire squatting from being still the one with 100 psi in it.

3 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

as a retired truck driver with 22 years of driving a semi in 46 states, when looking at the dually tires, i could tell if one of the two tires were low or flat by the other tire squatting from being still the one with 100 psi in it.

I have a Class A and used to use it mainly to transport construction equipment and it is real hard to tell if you have a dead tire on a low-boy or an empty flatbed.

But I have not actually used my CDL in over 20 years, still keep it current, though.

• Like 1

When I pull my 40 ft gooseneck trailer I feel my tires when I make a stop. The heat on each tire should be roughly the same but when 1 is hotter than the others you know something isn't quiet right. 

This was a nice blow out in the middle of nowhere. Closest town was 20 some miles. It was still holding air, just not enough pressure 😄

20200501_112657.jpg

Edited by bdc (see edit history)