Noobie and his '39 Century

C-Lamb

On 11/20/2021 at 11:04 PM, MCHinson said:

Correct 6 volt LEDs are typically quite a bit brighter than the original bulbs. I would make sure that they furnished 6 volt rather than 12 volt LEDs. The other thing that is critical is good wiring, especially a good ground, so make sure you don't have any bad connections in the wiring. 

Thanks Matt, I tested them on a supply and connected directly to the battery to eliminate the ground issue, they just aren't as bright as I would hope.  I wonder if they are really 12V bulbs with the wrong resistors inside, but I don't think I can get them apart.   They are definitely brighter than 1157's a 6V and 6V incandescent bulbs seem impossible to find for comparison.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:49 AM, EmTee said:

The radiator looks great!  ;)

Thanks! I'm excited to install it once I've tested the engine a bit more and verified it's reasonably flushed.  May tackle the other two freeze plugs on the side to see how much crud I can suck out of them before I put it in. 

6 minutes ago, C-Lamb said:

Thanks Matt, I tested them on a supply and connected directly to the battery to eliminate the ground issue, they just aren't as bright as I would hope.  I wonder if they are really 12V bulbs with the wrong resistors inside, but I don't think I can get them apart.   They are definitely brighter than 1157's a 6V and 6V incandescent bulbs seem impossible to find for comparison.

1157 should be 12 volt taillight bulbs. 1154 should be 6 volt bulbs. You should be able to find 1154 bulbs in stock at NAPA and possibly some other auto parts stores. The 6 volt LED tail lights should be brighter than 1154 bulb. If they are not, I would return them and purchase from another source. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 7:40 PM, MCHinson said:

For LED bulbs, these are the ones that I bought for my 1937 Roadmaster recently: https://www.ledlight.com/g18-s25-2_6-watt-1157-6-volt-ac-non-polarity.aspx If you order them, be sure to get the Red color version. 

OK, I've ordered a pair of those... this is what I ordered previously and is about the same as the bulb installed on the other side. 

https://www.ledlight.com/s25-24-led-light-6-volt-dc.aspx