Noobie and his '39 Century

On 11/20/2020 at 8:05 AM, MCHinson said:

What solvent are you using? My 1938 Century sat outside for 23 years near Boston before I got it. All four wheel cylinders were frozen. I found that on mine, I hosed them down with a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. After waiting 24 hours, I was able to use a wooden dowel and a hammer to tap the pistons out of the wheel cylinders. All of them were freed up and able to be cleaned up and reused.  

Matt, I've bee  soaking one in that and I added 100 psi to it as well to force the solvent into anything I could, no luck..  I'll mess with it a bit more tomorrow, had to work on the 2004 today.

23 hours ago, buick looks fine for 39 said:

You're getting excellent advice from the forum about gas with ethanol, your car will run fine using it. Be aware gas containing ethanol can rupture the diaphragm in your fuel pump and  it's not a bad idea to replace the diaphragm with modern ethanol resistant material. In answering the question about oil pumps it's mainly a problem with 248 engines 1938, 1939, and maybe early 1940. The oil pump gears prior to 1940 are 1 inch in diameter and the later oil pump gears 1941-47 are 1 1/4 inches in diameter which allows for a higher oil out put. The 60-80-90 oil pumps also have 1 1/4 inch gears for 38-47

Thanks.   As soon as I get some front brakes, it will be it will be time to see if she will run for more than a few seconds... gradually integrating more and more of the fuel system.