Riviera 65 project, 1st part finally done: body works

George Buick Riviera

10 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

oops, I misspoke. My cars original color was Champagne Mist. I thought that was what u chose. Your choice is super nice too 👍🏼

Champagne mist was also considered in this project. What we did, we took from junky yard three fenders (today's cars) and we have painted them with Shell Beige (original color for that car), Champagne Mist and Sahara Mist. After family and neighbor discussion, Shell Beige was canceled and the decision was between Champagne or Sahara. Sahara won :-).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Don't misunderstand I really approve of your resurrection. But I was just wondering what went into your thinking when you  chose of this car for your project?

Bill

Hi Bill,

It is GranSport.

You need also to know, that labor here in Poland (I mean working hour cost), is not that high as in the USA - so that also is changing the picture a bit.

image.png

image.png

image.png

9 minutes ago, steelman said:

George, was this one in Poland, or even in Europe when you found it? Or did you buy it and import it over there? Excellent work, by the way.

Thank you Steve,

I got it from the States in 2010. From another ROA member ... but that was pure luck. I got from him via Ebay a rim for my boattail. Then we started the conversation. He mention that he thinks to sell his 65, I said I always wanted one - not knowing it is GS. Then he send me spec. with statement it is GS. I had to buy it :-).

• Like 2

George, 2 pluses on your project. 1) You started with a complete and running car  2) You took it apart and actually continued with the restoration!

I've been in this only 5 years and during that time, I've seen way too many Rivieras parted-out. some that shouldn't have. Those that shouldn't have, started as restoration projects. After an audit, market values and a reality check, they abandon the project. Few people will take on a project in pieces from a Seller, unless of course its a GS and yours was complete so you know what you purchased.

With current values for '65 GS's, you have lots of 'wiggle room' for costs. Building a car from parts is always $$$ no matter where you live. That's our car hobby.

George, you are well on-your-way, it will be a beautiful car!