For Sale: 1959 Edsel Ranger - Former Museum Car - PINK! - Minneapolis, MN - Not Mine - 4/18, 4/2 & 9/15 Reduced - 6/11/22 Still available - Increased and on Ebay - 6/19 SOLD!

For Sale on Facebook:  1959 Edsel 4-door in Minneapolis, MN  -  $12,900 OBO  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information

On 9/15, Seller reduced the price to $11,500 OBO

On 4/2, Seller reduced the price on the Facebook ad to $9,315 OBO

On 4/18, Seller reduced the price on the Facebook ad to $8,900 OBO

Link:  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/806137223257091/

Also listed in Hemmings Motor News for $10,900 OBO  https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/unspecified/2419933.html

Seller's Description:

1959 Ford Edsel 4-door

• Driven 68,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Pink · Interior color: Black

Wonderful classic car. So fun to drive and the honks I get. Bought five years ago from Branson Missouri car museum as they needed more space. Since then i have rebuilt transmission new radiator and valve job. It does not have Power Steering. I am selling it because I bought a 66 Volvo and I cant keep two collector cars. Price is 12,900. OBO

image.png.80c2991000c12468f97148317829f773.png

image.png.d5035f4027a7d2a21fa54106b90ce2d1.png

image.png.2347eb6d3b84830f43a8f504e1c7d375.png

image.png.a24dbdcbe620fab72dc7b0a123f4f72a.png

image.png.4e3269fc33e7dbecad28307b595c7cce.png

image.png.c95bc4ee55ca41faac02f4bf01febd4c.png

image.png.3feb5890ff529f11f7922268c539f8f0.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to 1959 Ford Edsel - Former Museum Car - PINK! - Minneapolis, MN - Not Mine - 9/15 Price Reduced
1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Oooh, the rare double-whammy of an unsellable color on an unsellable car.

Degree of difficulty: I own a pink car.

That thing has Melanie's name ALL OVER IT!

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to 1959 Edsel - Former Museum Car - PINK! - Minneapolis, MN - Not Mine - 9/15 Price Reduced

One thing we can all be sure of, this color combination isn't going to come back into style anytime soon. What do you guys imagine the symbols are on the trunk lid mounted dealer name plate? I believe that the one on the right might be Mercury, the winged messenger. The one on the left has me puzzled, though. Any thoughts?

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

On 9/15/2020 at 7:00 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

What do you guys imagine the symbols are on the trunk lid mounted dealer name plate? I believe that the one on the right might be Mercury, the winged messenger. The one on the left has me puzzled, though. Any thoughts?

Rather than Winged messenger, the right side appears to be a caricature of a Native American with his feathered headdress laid back,

and the one on the left side of the dealer's name appears to be a canoe and possibly some sort of shield beyond it

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

Rather than Winged messenger, the right side appears to be a caricature of a Native American with his feathered headdress laid back,

and the one on the left side of the dealer's name appears to be a canoe and possibly some sort of shield beyond it

Your thoughts seem more likely than mine. Someone from our prize department in Medford, OR will be contacting you shortly.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Could the Indian theme mean that that dealer

focused on Pontiac, but took on an Edsel franchise?

That's a nice original car in classic colors but it's still a loser on so many levels.  I had 1 '58 4-door Citation many years ago.  Black and silver.  Folks would say, oh, so that's an Edsel!  So cool.  I bet it's worth a lot of money."  To which I'd say, " Yes, it is!  Wanna buy it?".  Took a long time to sell but it went to New Zealand.

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to 1959 Edsel - Former Museum Car - PINK! - Minneapolis, MN - Not Mine - 4/2 & 9/15 Price Reduced
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to 1959 Edsel - Former Museum Car - PINK! - Minneapolis, MN - Not Mine - 4/18, 4/2 & 9/15 Price Reduced

Edsel had four series-

Corsair and Citation were the upper level, edging toward Mercury territory.

Pacer and Ranger were the two lesser series - more Ford-sized and featured.

This one appears to be a Ranger -

so a Ford sucking a lemon (to keep it cleaner?)

The color is spot-on for the era, but seemingly a non-starter for anyone I know.

On 4/18/2021 at 8:40 PM, Marty Roth said:

Edsel had four series-

Corsair and Citation were the upper level, edging toward Mercury territory.

Pacer and Ranger were the two lesser series - more Ford-sized and featured.

True for 1958 but for 1959, all Edsels were on the Ford body. (1960 too . . . ) 

The Ranger and Corsair names were the two carried over into 1959.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, m-mman said:

True for 1958 but for 1959, all Edsels were on the Ford body. (1960 too . . . ) 

The Ranger and Corsair names were the two carried over into 1959.

Thanks, m-mman, for the additional information.

I was aware of the 4 models for the 1958 model year.

So, they eliminated the 2 upper-level models (Corsair and Citation) for the 1959 model year?

Perhaps encroaching on Mercury territory?

On the announcement day of the 1958 Edsel (Sept 9, 1957) Robert Mc Namara told insiders that his plans were to discontinue it ASAP(!)  

FoMoCo had been on a plan to compete head on with GM especially in the medium price range. So a tarted up Ford and a down priced Merc fit into that plan. The 1957-8 recession dashed the hopes of ALL the medium priced cars. (DeSoto's fate was sealed at this time too) 

However Ford had signed contracts with Edsel dealers to provide cars for several years. It would have been a huge breech to stop production after the 58 model year. At one time there were plans and prototypes for a 1959 Edsel on the Mercury body but these were scrapped by January 58. The "contractual obligation" Edsels would continue on the Ford body.  They used the name of the lowest priced 58 Edsel (Ranger) and the Lowest priced Merc-bodied Edsel (Corsair) into 59. 

During the late 58 and into the 59 calendar year, representatives were traveling the country working hard to buy back all the Edsel dealer contracts. They did not quite get it done by the fall 59 introduction of the 60 model, so it was produced. (Ford body) BUT the buybacks continued (difficult because there were a FEW Edsel dealers who were doing well and did not want to close their business) EVENTUALLY all the contracts were bought and cancelled and production of the 60 models ended (November 19, 1959) after building out about 3000 1960 Edsels. 

The Edsel project was then considered dead and forgotten. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

The Comet was intended to be an Edsel model from what I've read.

Ford knew that a compact car was the way to go into the 1960s.  Because of dealer closures during the 58 recession and the buyout plan they had dealers selling all kinds of cars. 

There were some selling Lincoln only. Some with Lincoln-Mercury-Edsel. Some selling L-M-E and English Ford and various other combinations. 

Mc Namara hated the Edsel and wanted it completely gone. BUT others thought (hoped?) that the Name could somehow be salvaged. (It was Henry's son after all) So there were some plans to MAYBE make a small car called the Edsel or maybe the Edsel II(?) This might have also satisfied the requirement to give the necessary dealer's an "Edsel" to sell during the 60 model year if it became necessary. 

The Comet was formally introduced on March 17, 1960 (Edsel was gone in November 1959) The Falcon was introduced in the fall of 59 along with the other 1960 Fords. 

Yes, Edsel and Comet both have 5 letters.

Yes, the 1960 Comet font does match the distinctive Edsel font. 

Yes, the 1960 Comet was never promoted as a "Mercury Comet" but just Comet. (but in 1960, Valiant was its own make too) 

Yes, the Comet does have the distinctive "contour seats" that were touted on the Edsel. 

Yes, some 1960 Comet parts do have an Edsel prefix in the part number.  (one NOS box of early Comet parts says "1960 Edsel B")

But INTENDED???? I think cooler heads prevailed and realized that cutting their loses and giving Lincoln-Mercury dealers a competitive compact to sell (that did not carry any negative baggage) was the correct decision. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to 1959 Edsel - Former Museum Car - PINK! - Minneapolis, MN - Not Mine - 4/18, 4/2 & 9/15 Price Reduced - 6/21 Deleted
  • 11 months later...

On 6/11, Seller placed a Buy-it-Now listing on Ebay  -  Price: $10,250 OBO  -  Ebay Seller: millieman55  -  No phone # provided. Reply to Seller through Ebay Seller.      

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125365083169/1959-Edsel-Ranger

Seller's Description:

1959 Edsel 4-door Sedan in Minneapolis, MN

• For Sale By: Private Seller
  • VIN: C9UF712706
  • Mileage: 65,000
  • Number of Cylinders: 8
  • Engine: 292 v-8
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Body Type: Sedan
  • Exterior Color: Red
  • Vehicle Title: Clean

This 1959 Ford Edsel is an original. The owner has had it for 5+ years. The vehicle is drivable and is mainly used for car shows.

• I wanted to get into classic cars and I grew up with an Edsel so bought this one from the Branson Car Museum in Missouri for $10,500 where it had been displayed indoors for 10 years. About 8 years ago. It has always been covered or garaged
  • It was a survivor car so I have put in a new radiator, new exhaust system, rebuilt transmission, brake adjustment and valve job . About 5,000 bucks worth
  • I learned that you shouldn’t buy a classic car unless you can do some of the work yourself. It’s been fun but I will never get my money out and I don’t want to take it the next step. The new owner should consider putting power steering and brakes into it.
  • Recently took it on a 100 mile road trip and it drove beautifully.
  • Couple spots of paint bubbling. Some chrome finish peeling off back bumper.
  • Very nice interior. Was reupholstered before I bought it, radio does not work.
  • Runs great. I do need to use starter fluid if it has been sitting for awhile. It starts in a second when warm.

So now it is for sale for $9,500.00 or best offer.

image.png.87eca00bb044d4dbfb562e1c17c3749d.png

image.png.2ed445015cd2ee73cdce5953a6c876bc.png

image.png.4e00015fc6dfdfbca21a305a6bf0a6a1.png

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1959 Edsel Ranger - Former Museum Car - PINK! - Minneapolis, MN - Not Mine - 4/18, 4/2 & 9/15 Reduced - 6/11/22 Still available - Increased and on Ebay - 6/19 SOLD!