Wire wheel ID help

deaddds

Trying to figure out what these may fit. I thought they were for my 31 Olds but its a 6 hole rim and these are 5. I bead blasted one to see if there were any specific stamps but didnt find any. Forced me to prime it so it wont flash rust. Photos to follow.

1 hour ago, Dave Henderson said:

It's a wheel for a Ford.   Figure out what size tire bead fits it, 18" would be '32 Ford, 17" is '33-'34, 16" is '35.  

Every detail and every picture says Ford except the last pic trying to show the measure from 2 opposing holes.  But.....

I honestly think that is the camera angle making it look like a much smaller bolt pattern than Ford 5-1/2: bolt circle.  You measure from the outside edge of one hole to the middle of the opposing hole, and it should be very close to 5.5".    

I've always been a huge fan of early wire wheels/styling for 5 decades...one odd thing that seems to be unique to Ford wires is that the outer/longest spokes only cross another outer spoke just once.  Most, if not all other car brands I have seen, the longest spokes cross twice, meaning they cross two other spokes at some point.

here are two below from web pics, first one said Chevy/Pontiac, then Plymouth. ...note that the outer spokes cross two other spokes

17-inch-6-lug-Wire-Wheel-Chevrolet-Pontiac.jpg.0606027ca4282a14d71b62baefb3007c.jpgwheels.jpg.ac859ea8598248a950df215dbb3ad5ff.jpg

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

NOT Ford, all 1926-1935 Ford wires were welded spokes. Photos are from a 16" 1935 wire I have. Sure would be fun to watch the wheels being made. Bob 

DSCF9929.JPG

DSCF9932.JPG

The wire wheel in question has welded spokes.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

........not sure of application.

"Application(s).....We've been duped.  lol .... what I mean is that there are two different wheels there.

Ford wire wheels do not have the raised bumps in the pic below.  Ford put the bumps on the brake drums. The bumps, no matter where the company put them, are needed to be able to tighten the lugs without deflecting the surrounding metal.

wwheel.jpg.00b96a4619bcb1eea5c5a2605e618224.jpg

The first wheel he showed does not have these, so that one is likely Ford with the 5.5 bolt circle.

When I questioned the last pic measuring between holes, it just looked like a smaller bolt pattern,.... I said it might be camera angle, but I now think that one is definitely a smaller pattern.

I rechecked the rim. The large hole is 3.5" across. Cross bolt hole is 5.5" and there are 32 spokes.   On a side note. This is the one NOT like the other 3. Arrrr.  The other 3 ARE the same. 5.5x 18 tires still mounted but the rims are 19.5" across. Center hole is roughly 2.75" across. Cross bolt holes roughly 4 5/8" across. They have 40 spokes. So are these other 3 GM? I gotta quit trusting and verify.

The primer was still wet so I used one of the other 3 for the holes. Got home from a run and really looked at them and it dawned on me they are different.  So the primer one is the Ford. Did I at least get GM wires for the other 3? Now I will look for 1 to match the 3. Suck.

Looks very much like the wheels on my 1932 Detroit Electric.  I will have to make some measurements tomorrow to be sure.  I have no idea who was DE's supplier, though.