1938 Lincoln K V12 Cabriolet by Brunn - $58000 - Gaithersburg, MD - Not Mine

1938 Lincoln K V12 Cabriolet by Brunn - $58000 - Gaithersburg, MD

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/d/silver-spring-1938-lincoln-v12/7157885365.html

1938 Lincoln Model K Seven Passenger Limousine with Semi-Collapsible Top. Body by Brunn. The vehicle has approximately 37K miles. The vehicle is in original condition except for the external roof material. It has the original black paint, tan upholstery and interior fabric, engine, chassis, wheels, chrome accents, dashboard and operator controls; glass; interior and exterior lighting, even spark plugs. Currently owned by the estate of the second owner and over the 30+ years of the second owner’s possession of the car, he drove it over 25k miles.
This car originally was ordered from Lincoln by Mrs. Catherine Cates of Youngstown, Ohio. She specified some unique features not commonly found on other Lincolns of this era. These features include a covered chauffer’s compartment; a roof line raised four inches higher than the usual design to accommodate the top hat of Mrs. Cate’s husband; black, not royal blue, cloisonné Lincoln medallions on the wheel covers; an engine compartment with locks; and a foot rest in the front passenger’s seat.
The second owner showed this vehicle at the 2011 Pebble Beach Concurs D’Elegance where it won third place in the Pre-War Preservation Class and Best Lincoln of the Show trophy. The vehicle also has shown at the 2012 Amelia Island Concurs D’Elegance and the 2012 Hershey Concurs D’Elegance as well as other regional car shows. The vehicle completed the 2011 revival AAA Glidden Tour.

Contact; Luis (301) 9-four-9-eleven-2-8

Copy and paste in your email:  f21e93a08d693ade998949f8d0bde1ff@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1938 Lincoln K V12 Cabriolet by Brunn.   Note: The original 1938 Lincoln K Brunn Cabriolet was shown at various venues in the 1990's, it was as impressively original in person as it is in these photos.  Not mine but I'd be delighted if it were.

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC aa.jpg

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC a.jpg

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC b.jpg

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC bb.jpg

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC c.jpg

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC d.jpg

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC e.jpg

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC f.jpg

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC bbb.jpg

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC g.jpg

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC h.jpg

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC i.jpg

'38 Lincoln Twelve Model K Semi-Collapsible Cabriolet by Brunn DC j.jpg

Interesting and unusual custom body, a bit top heavy............weird, obscure, and strange.......Just like the girl Maryann I dated my senior years in high school. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Worst. Convertible. Ever.

Matt, Really??? Its a custom car not a cookie cutter Mustang or plain Jane Packard sedan. Its unique and interesting.... well preserved and running. What would you really say about it if it was in your white room for sale ?? Broaden your horizons ! Its a cool, old car in my opinion.

My comment was kind of an inside joke. My cringing dislike of the landaulette body style is well documented. I don't mean this car specifically, I just mean this body style, which offers all the frumpiness of a top-heavy limousine combined with a top that folds just enough to make an awkward pile of canvas on the back but not quite enough to call it an open car. Whatever the history of the body style and its status as a throwback to specialty coaches for royalty or Brunn's reputation for quality in building such cars, I think it's ridiculous. I certainly mean no offense to this Lincoln, which seems like a cool find for the right guy.

I am not that guy, however.

• Like 1

Archaic is the term you're looking for, tall enough to accommodate top hat formality, landaulette quarters for the gentile gentry to 'take the air' while being chauffeur on their social rounds.   A holdover ethic from 20-30 years prior, rendered by Brunn with all the quality Mrs. Cates would demand.

Everything on this behemoth cries wealth. $7,000 car back in the day when for a few dollars more you could purchase a fully loaded Mercedes 500K.  I would rather pay a little more and have the Mercedes.  Henry Ford's son Edsel had to hide the "books" on these vehicles to keep his father from knowing that the Model K cars for 1937 and 1938 cost so much more to produce than they fetched from the few buyers that had the money to buy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BucketofBolts said:

$7,000 car back in the day when for a few dollars more you could purchase a fully loaded Mercedes 500K

Or a nice house in a good neighborhood! 😄

• Like 1

So, what do people think is a realistic price for this Lincoln?

Sedans in excellent condition may bring in the high $30's.

This is basically a limousine (a model not highly desired)

with an open component;  it's original but fairly worn.

I'll proffer a figure of $30,000, or somewhere between 

$25,000 and $35,000.

7 hours ago, BucketofBolts said:

Everything on this behemoth cries wealth. $7,000 car back in the day when for a few dollars more you could purchase a fully loaded Mercedes 500K.  I would rather pay a little more and have the Mercedes.  Henry Ford's son Edsel had to hide the "books" on these vehicles to keep his father from knowing that the Model K cars for 1937 and 1938 cost so much more to produce than they fetched from the few buyers that had the money to buy.  

The 500K/540K in the United States was $10,000 for a Cabriolet and $14,000 for the special roadster.   But otherwise I agree with your point.

Super nice original car - I judged it the year it was shown at Hilton Head Concours.  Other than the top, tires, and maintenance it was really an untouched and exceedingly well kept car.   Looks like engine compartment could use a good detailing since then. 

Sidenote: I am not sure why int the pictures they only have the rear top panel only partially folded - it does not stick up in the air like that, though I recall the owner was elderly and perhaps someone now really does not know how to put top down). 

It is attractive to those of us that like stodgy old Lincolns!

I like the proportions and that it represents what was available as a desired functional modification at the request of the owner.  Compared to the '39 K LeBaron Royal Canadian Tour car it looks like a chop top!