1925 Buick Touring - $14000 - Bemidji, MN - Not Mine

1925 Buick Touring - $14000 - Bemidji, MN

https://bemidji.craigslist.org/cto/d/bemidji-1925-buick-touring/7152836787.html

Been restored

Contact: Tom, phone (show phone number returns an error message, try if interested in this Buick yourself)

Copy and paste in your email: 8a107115e51735e1bb766e662ca5f0d1@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1925 Buick Touring.

'25 Buick Six touring MN a.jpg

'25 Buick Six touring MN b.jpg

'25 Buick Six touring MN c.jpg

'25 Buick Six touring MN d.jpg

'25 Buick Six touring MN e.jpg

'25 Buick Six touring MN f.jpg

• Like 4

Larry,

It sure does

-wood dash veneer , the front bumper brackets( but not the bumper - that one is interesting ) , chrome windshield stanchions and what looks like a combination stop/taillight. I can't zoom in enough to see if the taillight trim has the same design as the headlight trim. I don't think it  does. Looks almost Model A. Has the coil bracket on top of the S/G too - athough the coil is a modern one. And the colour is pretty close to the McLaughlin blue as well !

Edited by bradsan (see edit history)

Brad: Also the headlights on top of the bar instead of the bar between. McLaughlin's of 1925 usually have this.

Looks like someone drilled for top rest brackets into the tub instead of using the "iron pins" to mount a clamp or rest.

124450459_Buicksufflett003.thumb.jpg.2e3d4a95ce1db665fa5ac0ac3557411e.jpg

Even so the top would have a profile more like the factory illustration. 

aah_sized25-25.jpg.54d752c7511b1d673a54e8c1ada7126a.jpg

Hope fully I will pick up my new top sockets and bows this week to get my car's top into correct shape.

DSCF0190.thumb.JPG.bcc2f554fe1bd541a74c7b9ec12a6e26.JPG

My car with the earlier cut down top that is 3" too tall at the rear.

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Interesting.  The catalog photo shows a much more attractive top which slopes down slightly at the rear, or maybe that is an illusion.  But the car for sale looks "jacked up" even though it still looks decent. 

I also note the upholstery appears to be vinyl or the rare hyde of the nauga.   Carpet looks like it came from Lowe's or Menards. We are bashing a still very nice car for the asking price. 6-10 years ago, the asking price would be in the low $20K range in my opinion.

Larry

Forgot about the headlight bar!

Jake

All 25 Buick ( and McLaughlins) look jacked up because the original 4.50- 5.00 x22 tires are no longer available and the only current available option is 6.00x22 which looks just fine on a Master but a bit oversized on the Standard.

1925 only!

Brad:

Yes I know about the tires and will also have to deal with it. That is since I finally have the correct 22"/rims. IMG_20200321_150829551.thumb.jpg.76114750c4561295c4bfc006f5e55a4c.jpg

I have already had the rims powder coated and mounted the New 600X22 B.F. Goodrich Silvertowns .

DSCF8116.thumb.JPG.dcce9ec10f2952f6d0debdbba7c743bc.JPG

The same tires look absolutely huge on Hugh's car.  What is on my car now are 5.50X21 Universals. They do look very appropriate.

DSCF8184.thumb.JPG.06eac743366ddea886d4f8518d7f69f5.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/6/2020 at 12:29 AM, bradsan said:

Larry,

It sure does

-wood dash veneer , the front bumper brackets( but not the bumper - that one is interesting ) , chrome windshield stanchions and what looks like a combination stop/taillight. I can't zoom in enough to see if the taillight trim has the same design as the headlight trim. I don't think it  does. Looks almost Model A. Has the coil bracket on top of the S/G too - athough the coil is a modern one. And the colour is pretty close to the McLaughlin blue as well !

Brad:

I just looked again and I do believe it is a McLaughlin style tail light. The files I got from Leif of the 1925 McLaughlin Book of Parts have become corrupted so I can't verify the light.

Larry

Here is a close up of the correct taillight. I think you may be right, I've been back and forth and I can't say for certain .

Of course the real trick is to find the correct lens  which I don't think this one has.It is two pieces and the stop lens is amber with  black lettering.I 'm trying to find one to borrow to cast reproductions . No luck so far.

It would be interesting to see what the firewall data plate has to say.

The tiress and rims  sure look nice! you did well to get those parts. Shame they took apart the car but at least the stuff went to a good home!

Brad

800px-1924_McLaughlin_Buick_04_(7420146494).jpg.12a028cbb3a1eb8d01a5396dc1a62a8d.jpg

100_0659.thumb.jpg.d173201d05cd2c9730e459c2c808f4ef.jpg

10200701_25BuickSixtouringMNc.jpg.7940e0a0625f680bbf4dccb8df79fe27.jpg.99380a9def4645b1a05769c80effcec3.jpg

I like to bump this back to the top to keep the discussion going and hopefully get a buyer.

At $14,000 it looks to be a better example that what my car was at about the same price I paid for our car in 2011. The top even though incorrect does look to be of better quality.  The wheels are correct 22". And if a McLaughlin, the blue is acceptable as to color choice.  Looks to be a fun driver which is what we originally wanted. Having said that we found out how many incorrect thing there were/are on our car and have spent 9 years trying to correct them. The first 3 years I could not drive out of town without a boil over. Re-cored radiator finally solved it. $$$ Then tackling some bad wood. Finally having a few good miles behind us the clutch went out. That was a long summer pulling the rear axle etc. to attend to that. The car seemed to be plagued by Gremlins. The engine was on its last legs and we had it rebuilt in 2016-17. $$$$. At the time I started to redo the 40 year-old maroon metallic re-paint. Back to the correct original Brewster green. I had given up on finding the correct 22" wheels and was in the process of redoing them also. Buying new 5.50X21" tires. $$$$. Then the set of 22" wheels from Oregon showed up. In the meantime the cobbled top was bothering me. After years of searching for the correct top sockets and bows with out luck we had a set made.$$$. All to satisfy my ideals as to what an antique car should be. Finding out that it is much harder to sell an adapted vehicle than one at least correctly done.

If I had to sell my car tomorrow I would be lucky to get what is currently being asked for this example.

Labor of Love I guess.

• Like 3

This looks to be a very decent driver-quality example of a Nickle-era Buick, maybe low powered, but still a nice ride.

My personal preference is for the bigger engines in all of our drivers, but that's just me - nothing against the more basic models.

I emailed the seller .

He sent me  a photo of the firewall data plate.

It is definitely a McLaughlin and a 2525A no less.

Trying to get some more info , like whether he still has the glass side curtains.

He has a 1926 McLaughlin rad emblem on the car which is why the 1925 diamond shape can't be seen

Was trying to get more info and then my service provider changed my email account and now I 'm just spitting up a lot of bad words. Cats and family are in hiding!

Brad

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brad:

Thank you for the update. A 1925-25A. That would indicate a fixed top enclosed touring car. I had my suspicion when I saw no side curtain hardware on the body. As I said the top on the car does not match but would be able to be folded.

104429404_wy7751b1(1024x729).thumb.jpg.462e03c447d7800922072666f2b2a80a.jpg

The McLaughlin version is finished more like a sedan than the Flint version which the top profile looks exactly like the regular touring car. Notice the McLaughlin's nickeled windshield posts.

623182004_img20200715_10444733(1024x792).thumb.jpg.4960d402dbd1e741950d0984f41ac6d1.jpg

Thats a nice car at a very fair price.............which we haven't seen for thirty years, and now it's becoming commonplace.

It would be nice to bring this one back home. I even have the correct rad emblem sitting in a desk drawer. Problem is our $ is in the ditch plus with the virus I can't even pick up my parts order that is 1/2 hour away at my Washington State address. It looks like the border will be shut down until January at the earliest. I am starting to be 

glad I didn't buy any U.S. property. The border is a inconvenience at the best of times, these days it is looking more like the Berlin Wall. 

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I had another email exchange with the seller Tom.

Dad did the restoration with the parts he had , top is 'flexible', no rear seat heater, no side curtains unfortunately .

He wants it to find a good home.

I've emailed him with some more questions of how it runs , drives etc  will keep you posted

Larry

That brochure is very interesting, I constantly make assumptions about McLaughlin and am proven wrong almost every time! I am still convinced the all of the bodies were fabricated in the same factory in the US and then sent to Canada for trimming and assembly. I just can't see GM not utilizing their scale of economy and running two separate factories just for the small number of open cars being sold in each country.

The McLaughlin top is very different and I have to say I prefer the styling of the Buick 25A top. I can't quite figure out how those McLaughlin side curtains attached without any hardware on the door.  Maybe the top sockets on this vehicle have been filled in?. Or maybe they hung them off the top which does appear to be a lot sturdier than the Buick version. Almost has the same design as this 'California Top' for a 1923 that was for sale  on Ebay back in 2004 . If I recall, this top had an after market manufacturers name on it but of course I don't have that photo!

1522816947_1923californiatop1.jpg.2ad02c338f336425857402b7982956e8.jpg1711408047_1923californiatop2.jpg.b353a35b087a1406e0a2119171582238.jpg1709136672_1923californiatop3.jpg.8967352e5ae8b57c3d4f01d2bcc31498.jpg

If I was restoring it , I  would be hard pressed to not to duplicate the Buick 25A top

Greg

I think your emblem needs a home. We have some parts to help you.

I think auto transporters are 'essential' and still running across the border.

Hugh is writing the restoration bible on these vehicles so you have all the resources at your disposal.

Might as well spend the money now because after the Covid deficit we are running up , they are going to come after you for any cash you have lying around! any way

It is really tempting, especially if running,  but we are out of space and as you've mentioned before , storing cards in the Lower Mainland is not cheap! Plus I am still happily married but not about to push my luck.

Ahhhh, but to have a driveable car instead of a bench full of dreams would sure be nice.

Brad

• Like 2

I find this interesting. I have known quite a few mid-'20s Buick owners here in the USA. USA Buicks are not generally known for "California" type tops. Studebaker on the other hand made a good number of what they called "Duplex" phaetons and roadsters. I have personally known four owners of such Studebakers, and met owners of at least three more!  An interesting car. I wish I could consider it for myself.

8 hours ago, bradsan said:

I had another email exchange with the seller Tom.

Dad did the restoration with the parts he had , top is 'flexible', no rear seat heater, no side curtains unfortunately .

He wants it to find a good home.

I've emailed him with some more questions of how it runs , drives etc  will keep you posted

Larry

That brochure is very interesting, I constantly make assumptions about McLaughlin and am proven wrong almost every time! I am still convinced the all of the bodies were fabricated in the same factory in the US and then sent to Canada for trimming and assembly. I just can't see GM not utilizing their scale of economy and running two separate factories just for the small number of open cars being sold in each country.

The McLaughlin top is very different and I have to say I prefer the styling of the Buick 25A top. I can't quite figure out how those McLaughlin side curtains attached without any hardware on the door.  Maybe the top sockets on this vehicle have been filled in?. Or maybe they hung them off the top which does appear to be a lot sturdier than the Buick version. Almost has the same design as this 'California Top' for a 1923 that was for sale  on Ebay back in 2004 . If I recall, this top had an after market manufacturers name on it but of course I don't have that photo!

1522816947_1923californiatop1.jpg.2ad02c338f336425857402b7982956e8.jpg1711408047_1923californiatop2.jpg.b353a35b087a1406e0a2119171582238.jpg1709136672_1923californiatop3.jpg.8967352e5ae8b57c3d4f01d2bcc31498.jpg

If I was restoring it , I  would be hard pressed to not to duplicate the Buick 25A top

Greg

I think your emblem needs a home. We have some parts to help you.

I think auto transporters are 'essential' and still running across the border.

Hugh is writing the restoration bible on these vehicles so you have all the resources at your disposal.

Might as well spend the money now because after the Covid deficit we are running up , they are going to come after you for any cash you have lying around! any way

It is really tempting, especially if running,  but we are out of space and as you've mentioned before , storing cards in the Lower Mainland is not cheap! Plus I am still happily married but not about to push my luck.

Ahhhh, but to have a driveable car instead of a bench full of dreams would sure be nice.

Brad

Hi Brad, I am afraid that even at what is surely a very decent U.S. market price by the time you factor in transport 1/2 way across North America, all the border costs , and exchange on our very limp $ it just adds up to a out of reach price tag.

I agree about the value of a running car vs even a very desirable " project status " car. A running 4 wheel brake car is far more desirable to me than my project 2 wheel brake car. My 1918 project  has been dormant  for a decade now.  An early nickel car , the worst of all regarding value and usability.

When I first bought it almost 30 years ago I was thrilled to finally own a " antique " car. But as time want on I realized the  drawbacks of this forgotten era of automobile history.

Too new { until very recently } for brass car events, too old , slow and under braked for regular vintage car events. A potential money and time pit. Interesting , but very flawed in todays hobby.

I have noticed a small number of body sheet metal differences  between  my 1918 McLaughlin  and U.S. Buick panels. Mostly  the doors. But I agree, after about 1914 the McLaughlin body's were most likely produced in the U.S.

The 1914 and older cars  had Canadian built body's  on most models. Far more wood than the U.S. Buick  counterparts.

Cash !! in Canada you say ! what a novel idea. I didn't think anyone in Canada had any cash left, certainly no one facing Lower Mainland prices.

If I ever snag a 1924 - 26 McLaughlin to mount my emblem on it's going to have to be either a B.C. car or at least a Western Provinces car. The exchange is a deal killer.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Well, I appreciate all the knowledge.  I would NOT have known this was a fixed roof Buick. Originally. 

My history with California tops comes from research on Peerless.  In 1924, with closed cars taking over as more popular, Peerless came out with a 6 cylinder car and in touring form it came with a fixed "convertible" top.   For me, I find it interesting to see that here we have a mid 20's Buick in similar guise.  The trend was surely underway toward closed cars, just as the automobile industry is transitioning to SUV's now.  Comfort was the main reason for closed cars in the 20's, utility is for SUV's now. 

Why is this car still for sale?  Yes, we have outed it as a non original car with some authenticity issues, but overall it's a cool mid 20's Buick for touring and enjoying for what?  $12,000?   I believe there are a lot of Buick lovers in Minnesota. 

For what it is worth,  the owner Tom has emailed me back as follows:

He has two other pre-war cars and this is surplus . Unlike some of us , he apparently knows his limitations

Have a title for the car.
Been parked for 25 years.
Ran when I backed into the storage building. 
Don't have any extra parts.
Vinyl seats.
Don't know if  speedometer  works.
I've turned over the motor twice every year  to keep motor loose.
I guess you have to prime a tank, then listen for some electric motor to run before starting the motor. I don't  understand this  process  so that's why I  didn't  use the car. (Sounds like it has an electric fuel pump)

Jake

I wasn't trying to 'out' the car, just provide information for the buyer and seller. It is a unique automobile and of special interest to us north of the 49th.   Its probalby the better market for the car and the information provided might help a sale up here.
However, as has been posted in prior ads , unique doesn't always mean valuable!
I think Tom is realistic about the car and the price. As mentioned, I shared the link to this post and I sure hope he isn't offended by the posts.
I'm in no way trying to put the car down , I think it is great just as it is. It would also be a lot of fun to put back the way it was originally and I'm pretty sure you would have the only 1925 McLaughlin 2525A in existence if you did so. ( A bold statement which I will immediately be proven wrong on just for having stated it!).
I would love to have the car . I won't comment on price because I'm not going to buy it  for reasons previously stated.
Here's another one, i would get the car with the intention of just driving it around and then I'd be staring at the car at 10PM one night , immediately drop everything I'm not doing on the other half-done cars , and start taking it apart to put it back to original. Sometimes, I think I'm Sid from Toy Story and the old cars all know me and try to hide in dark corners when they see me coming with a wrench and an idea.
If this post finds the car a new owner, and I hope it does, then they hopefully have a lot of information to start enjoying the car whatever way they choose and some contacts to help them (if they so desire.)
The 1925  guys are just enthusiastic, that's all!

Brad

• Like 1

Jake:

Your statement "Why is this car still for sale?  Yes, we have outed it as a non original car with some authenticity issues, but overall it's a cool mid 20's Buick for touring and enjoying for what?  $12,000?   I believe there are a lot of Buick lovers in Minnesota."

As I have recently found out many are starting (trying) to sell some cars at below what the experts feel are reasonable prices.

The 1925 I bought in 2011 (the person I bought the car from indicated that my car came from MN.) was considered a #3 car. (Found out to be more like a #4 condition) with all the incorrect jury rigged items it had. The prices I considered were from current 2011 guides. So it seems as if the $13,000 I paid was reasonable. I did drive the car before purchase.

I have used the 2004 guide and seems as if most of the run of the mill nickel cars have not advanced a dime in value from that time. The 2004 guide was at $5,200 for a #4 condition to $10,400 for #3 condition. In 2016 I bought our 1925 Master touring.

DSCF5843.thumb.JPG.eeaf52ae4f0871636a371a9cd0527676.JPG October 2016

A much more solid old amateur restoration still with some issues, but RUNNING and DRIVING. Several of us worked to get the car running for the in the spring of 2013 for the family. My friend at the time made an offer of $7,500. The owners were shocked and said that they had firm offers of $15,000. I found out after the fact that I had been one of a list of others who had made offers over the 3 years they attempted to sell. I offered $5,500 and apparently it was their best offer to date. I am still working to improve this car also. Money goes in and we hope for enjoyment to come out.

DSCF8203.thumb.JPG.303835d121964d1bc82c5e545a5c62bb.JPG July 10th 2020

Hope to have it back on the road soon. Since I recently had the radiator re-cored and did a timing gear replacement.

It seems that my Buicks are always in need.

But what else to do during a pandemic?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...