1919 Great Molasses Flood in Boston some interesting pictures old cars and trucks

Mark Gregory

The Great Molasses Flood, also known as the Boston Molasses Disaster or the Great Boston Molasses Flood, and sometimes referred to locally as the Boston Molassacre,[1][2] occurred on January 15, 1919, in the North End neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. A large storage tank filled with 2.3 million US gal (8,700 m3)[3] weighing approximately 13,000 short tons (12,000 t) of molasses burst, and the resultant wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150.[4] The event entered local folklore and residents claimed for decades afterwards that the area still smelled of molasses on hot summer days.[5][4]

It even knocked down part of their Elevated Rail Line.

Without Warning, Molasses Surged Over Boston 100 Years Ago ...

BostonMolassesDisaster.jpg

c0dfab8ca682adac1.jpg

image.thumb.png.e5d4a1bb96f9891c5f5ad8a81466b1e9.png

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A couple of years ago there was an article in Yankee Magazine about the molasses flood. When I first saw the title I though it was a joke and after reading the article was amazed.

Back in Engineering School, we studied this in Material Science Class. At first it sounds like a joke, then you realize the molasses was moving pretty fast for a winter day. 

This reminds me that as a kid, the older guys would tell us to hold our tongue with your fingers and say " molasses on the table"

Also when looking at a jar of molasses, they would say,

"I wonder what they do with the rest of the mole"

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Back in Engineering School, we studied this in Material Science Class. At first it sounds like a joke, then you realize the molasses was moving pretty fast for a winter day. 

Makes you wonder if it was heated, cause cold molasses will not flow that fast.

My Grandfather (well,  step - GF) was present for the Great Molasses Flood  of  1919.  It was an occasional topic of conversation in the early 1950s.

He was a young chauffeur and it was around this time he started driving for the family he stayed with  for around thirty five years.

The family had PA limos until RR opened the factory in Springfield. They stuck with Rolls till the late thirties, I think 1938.

When the Mister went into a nursing home in ~1954 they signed the Rolls over to my Grandfather.  I remember the car but not a lot of details about it.

• Like 1

After reading up on it, it sounds like a repeat of the Titanic. From what the article states, there were several things that went wrong. The steel used in the construction of the tank was too thin and the rivets were wrong and spaced too far apart.  Also they never bothered to fill the tank with water to test it. Every time they filled it it made noises and actually expanded. It leaked so much that people would fill tin cans with the leaking molasses. One worker reported a crack in the steel and his foreman said "what do you expect me to do" and never reported it to his superiors.