Memoribilia to view - A guide

12 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Carl had a interesting history.  In 1939 he purchased a defunct outboard motor manufacturing company whose assets included 300 non functioning outboards.  His plan was to get them running and use the sale proceeds to begin manufacture of a magnetic cream separator for the Wisconsin dairy industry.  After sourcing an upgraded crankshaft for the motors he sold the lot to Montgomery Wards.  The motors were so successful that Wards kept ordering more leading to the establishment of Mercury Marine.  His record of outboard racing is as impressive as his auto racing. He also popularized the stern drive system. More information can be found in his biography "Iron Fist" published in 1991.  My apologies for too much information!

And, Coldwater is near my hometown of Battle Creek!

Terry

I almost posted this under the "what is it" forum as I'd love to find out what kind of car this is, and approximately what year.  It's a pretty cool card advertisement anyway.  It advertises a taxi service.  The photo doesn't do it justice.  Hard to get a good photo with the glare on the glass and shadows where I took the pic.  Might wait for a good clear day and get one outside to help brighten it up. It's a fairly large poster size advertisement.

Terry

Taxi ad for NY company.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting small from the file cabinet. EN-AR-CO was the trademark of National Refining Company located in Cleveland, Ohio. It began as a refiner of kerosene in 1882 used for household lamp oil. White Rose gasoline was introduced in 1905 as the first premium motor fuel on the market  Other products included ENARCO motor oil, Black Beauty axle grease, National motor oil and antifreeze. This was obviously some type of game. I have no knowledge of where I acquired it. The Coffeyville, Kansas refinery was sold to COOP in 1944 and the rest was purchased by Ashland Oil in 1950. 

IMG_2898.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Nice !  Do you have the hold game se

Probably but I am still in the top drawer of a 5 drawer file cabinet.  The company started the "National News"  company newspaper in 1890 which was distributed free to its customers.  It contained jokes, epigrams. advertising and  access to games of which I suspect this is an example.  

• Like 1

On June 11 I posted a photo of the HUPMOBILE porcelain purchase at the Pate swap meet. When I purchased it I asked the young dealer if he had anything else that was old porcelain. He related that his father had an old sign in his garage he might be willing to sell. I gave him my card and forgot about it. A week age he sent me a photo. A few days ago I drove to east Texas and picked it up. Far from perfect but a Great Wall hanger. Double sided porcelain. 

IMG_3015.jpeg

IMG_3013.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I picked this up today. My justification was that I liked the color and instead of storing garage things on a boring shelf, I would take advantage of the storage capacity for this. I have a Trico wiper cabinet of similar era.8D6B384E-3067-4D46-9277-46505B11EF78.jpeg.21d509877f1e8771ad9bab1642a43fe4.jpeg

• Like 5

Interesting sign that I have not seen again in over 40 years  I got it from a friend in Des Moines who was a petroleum wholesaler and picked it up at a trade show.  Advertises the new model

70 gas pump that came out in 1937 if I remember correctly

IMG_3006.jpeg

IMG_3008.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
Correction (see edit history)
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

IMG_3008.jpeg

If you look at a close up of the pump face you will notice that $1 purchased 5.5 gallons of gas in the day.  As a teen I remember being able to cruise around all Saturday night for a buck in the late 50"s

• Like 4

15 hours ago, rniez said:

Here are a few game boards.

PXL_20230803_155723284.MP (1).jpg

PXL_20230803_155736683.MP (3).jpg

PXL_20230803_155819921.MP (2).jpg

Wow Rich, those are great!   If you've ever got a chance to visit the Boyertown Museum in Boyertown, PA, they have a large display case full of games.  I've got a few but they take up a lot of display space as you probably are aware.  Here is one of my favorites that unfortunately I missed the chance to acquire a couple of years ago.  It was sold at an auction and I was left in the dust pretty quickly.  Maybe someday another one will turn up.

Terry

Board game London to Brighton box lid.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Thanks to all who have taken the time to photograph and share the details of the great automobilia in their collections

Thank you for starting this thread.  It has been fun and educational to see the varrious interests of forum members.  More to come as I get time.

Another game board, this time the complete game. This a Milton Bradley Formula 1 game from 1863. My wife found this on a Saturday at Hershey on the orange field while I was judging. We met up at judge's parking and told her I didn't didn't care I just wanted to start the five hour drive home. She was persistent so I finally just double parked on the exit road and I went to look for it. I'm glad I stopped. Sorry for the so-so pictures but it's hard to find room to photograph it.P1010047.jpg.bc33f06f38314999196f674b201cd784.jpgP1010050.JPG.2186b6e40e03ac95c3a0378df49d22a0.JPGP1010053.JPG.49e7bdcddb5dc97c7244aa3557c9a17a.JPG

• Like 3

Great items. Thanks for sharing. I don’t think I have ever run across those small Mobile banks. 
Here is another early porcelain. I am sure the spark plug collectors can date it for me. 12 by 30 SSP.  Hard to get out to the collection as today was the 37th straight day over 100 and 17th of 105 or greater.  Always suspicious that it was a reproduction  but looks great on the wall

IMG_2893.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
Additional comment (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Interesting lithograph from Minneapolis Standard which later became Minneapolis Threshing Machine which also produced Minneapolis tractors. It was acquired by the White Motor Company in 1963. This is framed paper 24 by 30 and is dated 1903 on the margin covered be the matting.

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3084.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 7:53 PM, Robert G. Smits said:

Great items. Thanks for sharing. I don’t think I have ever run across those small Mobile banks. 
Here is another early porcelain. I am sure the spark plug collectors can date it for me. 12 by 30 SSP.  Hard to get out to the collection as today was the 37th straight day over 100 and 17th of 105 or greater.  Always suspicious that it was a reproduction  but looks great on the wall

IMG_2893.jpeg

Not sure about it either Bob. Assume SSP = Single sided porcelain.  Unusual mounting holes. Can we see a photo of the back? 

Terry

15 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Interesting lithograph from Minneapolis Standard which later became Minneapolis Threshing Machine which also produced Minneapolis tractors. It was acquired by the White Motor Company in 1963. This is framed paper 24 by 30 and is dated 1903 on the margin covered be the matting.

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3084.jpeg

Fabulous artwork! This was a great time for the lithographer's art whether it's advertising or purely decorative.  Graphics and imagry were at their best at this time.  Can't beat the combination of a pretty lady and an automobile!  Here is one of my favorite non-advertising lithograph from my collection.

20200205_145109-1.jpg

• Like 2

I can see why it is a favorite. The mounting holes on the Champion Spark Plug raised my suspicion although I purchased it in the mid 80’s when repros weren’t as common. I will take a photo of the back side tomorrow. 

Edited by Robert G. Smits (see edit history)

Great stuff!  Thanks for sharing.  For frames I love to check out area thrift stores.  I have photos of my unframed pieces on my phone with notes on measurements.  I've found great frames - real old and not the modern plastic junk. for less than the cost of the glass in them.  Here is an example of a great thrift store frame that even had some of the old wavy glass in it - $3.00 at Salvation Army.

20190512_152942-1.jpg

• Like 3

I didn't know if this should be here or in the Humor section but since this is a period postcard felt here would be ok.

Postcard dates from the mid 1920s TUCK'S POST CARD . Raphel Tuck & Sons "Oilette" After the original painting by Fred Buchanan"

CARTOONtouring1920s.jpg

• Like 4

Of course it should be here Walt!  These are miniature works of art, in fact many postcards began as paintings that were also sold as prints. I've got numerous examples in my collection(s) including this wonderful lithograph done by Clarence Underwood titled "Lessons in Motoring."  It's done in three different sizes that I now of, and was also done as a postcard.

The artist was born in Jamestown, New York, and following formal education in art, began as a postcard illustrator in about 1901 or 1902 in New York. He also illustrated many literary works, and magazines, including World magazine and over 40 covers for the Saturday Evening Post. The majority of his work originated as paintings  and were also sold as lithographs. 

Framed print shown below, also the same illustration as a postcard (I have several versions of it).

Another example is this great print by Hamilton King in both a large lithograph and a postcard version.

Hamilton King, born in 1871, was a prominent illustrator who worked in the late 1800s and early 1900s. King illustrated the "Coca-Cola girls" for calendars, serving and tip trays from 1910 to 1913. The Coca-Cola calendar work was considered significant because the artist's signature appeared in all printed matter for Coca-Cola, including serving trays.  He was well known for drawing pretty ladies, and this is one of only a few motoring related items he ever produced.

Walt, with around 3000 postcards in my collection there is plenty more to share.

Terry

Lessos in motoring by Underwood.jpg

Lessons in motoring.jpg

Ladies drivlng by Hamilton King.jpg

Ladies driving by Hamilton King postcard.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 8/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, Terry Bond said:

Can we see a photo of the back

I went out to the building to get a photo of the backside.  The sign is 12 ft. off the ground and would require moving two cars so we will just assume this is a reproduction

Another wall hanger i acquired 30 years ago. DSP. Both sides very similar. 48 by 58 inches. The red Pegasus is a symbol of speed and power. First used by Vacuum Oil in South Africa in 1911.  Vacuum merged with Socony in 1931

IMG_3105.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Great sign. I like the nice bold colors. Have

You ever done any research on the company that made it? 

Terry