Are the restoration shops open?

I watch some of the reality car shows such as Iron Restoration, Chasing Classic Cars, Restoration Garage, and one or two others. I got to wondering if they are considered "essential" and remain open? I can see auto repair shops being open to fix people's everyday vehicles, but wouldn't think the others would be classified in the same group. I also realize that government is responsible for this shutdown and government is picking winners and losers here, such as it's essential for liquor stores to stay open, but churches can't. It may be that I can't get a haircut, but I could go have my Superbird restored or buy a nice old Packard, Cadillac or Ferrari at F40.

As others have mentioned it depends on the state. That being said, New York has mandated all nonessential businesses to be closed. In my area, I see some shops that are closed and some shops that are open. There is simply no enforcement on the issue. The question most people ask is that who is going to enforce the law? Police acquaintances tell me that they don't know what to do and even if they are supposed to do something. Possibly the Board of Health, no one seems to know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

No one can make a generalized statement.

If you took my post as such, it is not. As stated, the government (mostly state, & usually the governors) are picking the winners (businesses that can stay open) and losers (those deemed the exalted on high to be non-essential & must close).

20 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

If you took my post as such, it is not. As stated, the government (mostly state, & usually the governors) are picking the winners (businesses that can stay open) and losers (those deemed the exalted on high to be non-essential & must close).

Well, since you didn't specify a state, it sure appears that you are asking for a generalized statement. In any case, of COURSE the states are picking the winners. Here in VA, liquor stores are deemed "essential" and stay open. I'm sure that has NOTHING to do with the fact that they are all state-run ABC stores here.

NJ liquor stores are private and are open.  The one I use is outside pickup or home delivery only.  You call or text in your order.  When it's ready, they text you back.  You drive to the store, call your name to the person on duty, and someone brings your order and puts it in your trunk.

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Also here in PA resto shops are classified as "auto repair shops" and are allowed to be open...

I think that's appropriate.  If a regular auto repair shop

is open for someone's 1966 Toronado or 1985 Riviera,

a specialty shop working on antiques should be able

to service it too.

I ordered new custom pistons for my 31 Pierce-Arrow the day before California shut down, so I emailed the company doing this for me and it was business as usual... they fall under an exemption for national transportation parts manufacturing!

I don’t know about the connecting rods though, they were supposed to be ready around now when I sent them to be re-Babbitted but haven’t tried calling about them... I figured I wouldn’t want to be pushy as getting good quality takes patience.