Vintage Automotive Testing Equipment

Jarrod Adams

Good Afternoon and thank you for allowing me to join. First, my apoligies if i have posted in the wrong section. I searched the forum, and this seemed to be the most appropriate area.

I recently purchased a "lot" of vintage car parts. Predominately 1930-1948.

However, i came across some vintage test gear that I have not seen before and cant seem to locate online anywhere. 

Is anyone familiar with any of these items?

Thanks!!!!

Jarrod

20200330_185923.jpg

20200330_185942.jpg

20200330_185946.jpg

20200330_190110.jpg

20200330_190127.jpg

20200330_190133.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A magneto develops high voltage using a strong magnetic field around windings of insulated magnet wire.  No battery is needed to make high voltage for the ignition circuit.  Often found in tractors, very early cars, lawnmowers and old motorcycles.

• Like 1

They would look great in the garage.  At one time I had a whole group of outdated Snap-on test equipment on display in my garage.  It was stuff my Snap-on dealer father in law had kept for the same reason.  When I had to downsize it was sold to someone with the same intentions.

• Like 1

Old testing equipment is a great addition to your garage.I bought this Stromberg Motoscope a few years ago. Your dealership was state-of-the -art if you had one of these ca.1933.

Stromberg Motoscope & base.JPG

• Like 3

Vintage Eisemann Automotive Coil Testing Device. .....Inside is a nice little Bodine Electric Motor - 1/400hp, 1600rpm, 110v, 0.35amp. 

The motor drives a set of points to fire the coil. The coil was placed on the top of the machine and the HV was connected to the spark and the breaker and ground were connected to the primary of the coil. The motor ran off 110 AC and the other socket was connected to a car battery to drive the coil. Probably used in the mid 30's to mid 40's. Notice the condenser too, it is across the points. The motor and points acts as a old distributor to drive the coil. Eisemann was a large manufacturer of magnetos and ignition systems for autos, single cyl engines and farm engines and tractors. The spark gaps were the "minimum" distance the coil could spark and the rheostat adjusted the voltage to the coil to determine the quality of the coil firing under low voltage conditions. The two sets of gaps were for dual coils, like a two cyl outboard, or some coils had the primary connections on the bottom of the coil and the HV on the top. 

• Like 2

I do tests like that occasionally using my distributor machine, an old distributor, a battery, and my variable spark gap. Crap laying everywhere. It must be nice to have all of that in one box. I like it.

Its like this Lisle, but might really be Blue Point or Snap On.

It goes in the end of a plug wire, and you ground the clamp, and dial out until the spark wont jump anymore. It gives you the approximate available voltage in kilovolts.

71RpWrFB97L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Its like this Lisle, but might really be Blue Point or Snap On.

It goes in the end of a plug wire, and you ground the clamp, and dial out until the spark wont jump anymore. It gives you the approximate available voltage in kilovolts.

71RpWrFB97L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have a tool like this somewhere, Bloo. Mine was produced by Cal-Van, of Northern Ohio...IIRC. 

• Like 1

Thanks Bloo,

That tool is too modern....

I was hoping to see an antique  Frankensteinesque  type of tool that would scare the neighborhood pets, kids and their parents..... an ancient tool without warning labels shooting sparks a foot long.

Yeesh....the mind is wandering astray during this time of pandemic confinement. 

Tom

• Haha 1