Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 9/3/2024 at 8:07 AM, Walt G said:

Has to be - only one was made and appeared first at the custom body salons in 1927 and in advertising by Judkins who created it. I have the original artwork/illustration/rendering  of the car that was used in the Lincoln magazine and sales portfolio as well as the salon program advertising. Art work is opaque water color and fairly large and was found in an antique store in Ct. by a friend of mine who immediately called me and asked "do you want it" ?  Car wound up in a southern Ca. collection /garage before Harrah's bought and restored it. It was in fairly good condition when found. the car in pictures is striking but in person is even more outstanding . A total comment on the horseless carriage era and transition to motorized vehicle chassis.

When I saw it in 2023.

25_Lincoln_Judkins_1.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/7/2024 at 4:56 AM, wayne sheldon said:

Any more pictures of this car? Was it in a movie?

Anybody know what it is?

I am sure it isn't (probably?),but a few details that can be seen are very close to my circa 1899 unknown builder gasoline carriage. I sure would like to see more of this car.

Wayne - I found this searching for actresses in 1920s cars, found on Motortrend.com/features/female-movie-star-cars-list or something similar. Some copies F/S on ebay. I looked quite awhile, but don't know what the photo is from. Here's a quote: "Bette Davis, on a filmset, wearing a 1900 dress, poses aboard a car.....News Photo - Gettty Images." A photo seller said it was from a 1930s movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeff_a said:

Wayne - I found this searching for actresses in 1920s cars, found on Motortrend.com/features/female-movie-star-cars-list or something similar. Some copies F/S on ebay. I looked quite awhile, but don't know what the photo is from. Here's a quote: "Bette Davis, on a filmset, wearing a 1900 dress, poses aboard a car.....News Photo - Gettty Images." A photo seller said it was from a 1930s movie.

Thank you for the response, and effort, Jeff. I may try to search the web a bit, maybe something can show up. Being also more than a little interested in film history, some of that I already knew just from the photo. Bette Davis, in her blond hair and quite youthful earlier films pretty much puts it in the 1930s or early 1940s. Costuming and the car give me some idea of subject matter, however, most of her films were not costume pieces that were likely to include an early car. It might be possible that she posed in a car on a set while in costume? Last night, on IMDb, I went through all of over a thousand photos of her on her IMDb page. No cars of that era, and no photos of her in that costume. I also read through her complete (?) film list, and nothing jumped out at me. I may have to search other sites.

My dilemma is that I have an unknown builder very early gasoline carriage. It came to me some years ago after going through several hands and some beginnings of not properly done restoration. There were quite a few parts included with it that I am sure, or suspect, may not have been from the car originally. Two of those pieces that I would assume (you know how that word is spelled?) are not from the car originally, actually look like they "might" be on the car in that photo? I may have to rethink whether they should stay with the car or not?

The fact is, that it is very unlikely that the car in the photo could in any way be the car I have. Since the car I have is almost entirely blacksmith one-off built? It is unlikely to even be a twin to it. Still, a better photo or two of more of that car could give me more clues about my car.

Thank you for your help, and for posting the photo in the first place! I will try in the next couple weeks to do some searching for Bette Davis images.

• Like 3

Wayne,  below site mentions 

"In 1930, 22-year-old Bette Davis moved to Hollywood, but only until 1932 and after six previously unsuccessful films that she finally achieved her breakthrough. Her leading role in The Man Who Played God (1932) brought her a contract with Warner Bros.," maybe image is from one of those unsuccessful films? 

https://www.vintag.es/2020/05/bette-davis-1930s.html

Gen Pub 1684. written in bottom right hand corner. 

But below lists image created 01 January, 1930, which is before Bette Davis moved to Hollywood, if above or below dates are correct? 

Maybe was a pic for screen tests or similar?

all I can add is on 2 different pics of same photo, has date created if real or generic? Slight difference in editorial # details, if that means anything? Via Getty images.

Credit:
Keystone-France / Contributor
Editorial #:
Collection: Gamma-Keystone.
Gamma-Keystone
Date created:
01 January, 1930

Credit:
Keystone-France / Contributor
Editorial #:
Collection: Gamma-Keystone.
Gamma-Keystone
Date created:
01 January, 1930
Edited by Rod P
extra info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 4:26 AM, Rod P said:

"In 1930, 22-year-old Bette Davis moved to Hollywood, but only until 1932 and after six previously unsuccessful films that she finally achieved her breakthrough. Her leading role in The Man Who Played God (1932) brought her a contract with Warner Bros.," maybe image is from one of those unsuccessful films? 

https://www.vintag.es/2020/05/bette-davis-1930s.html

Thank you Rod P for that link. The only slightly less cropped version of that photo shows an additional detail that makes me think the car she is sitting in is a Holsman. Since that likely limits the value of that car helping me much with my car since I know mine is not a Holsman (at least not any production version?). 

Thank you for the help!

• Like 2

A photo of a car labelled as a 1900 Peerless, photographed at the Hershey Meet over 60 years ago, possibly a Vis-á-Vis Type 2, Style B. No one knows what happened to this Peerless or who owned it. As I recall, this picture appeared in the HCCA or AACA magazine in the 1970s.

Using the wayback machine(AACA Peerless Forum): "It is taken from a Horseless Carriage Gazette photo on page 29, Jan/Feb, 1992 issue:"

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 10.23.23 AM.png

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 2

An 1892 Blackie and a 1934 Delage at the 1934 Philadelphia Auto Show.  The man with the silver trophy owned both.

This was before trailering your car to a meet, and Passport Transport, so I bet both were driven to this Antique Auto Derby.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 3.13.22 PM.png

• Like 9

4 hours ago, jeff_a said:

An 1892 Blackie and a 1934 Delage at the 1934 Philadelphia Auto Show.  The man with the silver trophy owned both.

This was before trailering your car to a meet, and Passport Transport, so I bet both were driven to this Antique Auto Derby.

This photo needs some serious discussion. Mostly about the early high wheel automobile.

Do you mind if I try to repost this in a separate thread for discussion.

Do you have any additional background about the photo or the cars?

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

This photo needs some serious discussion. Mostly about the early high wheel automobile.

Do you mind if I try to repost this in a separate thread for discussion.

Do you have any additional background about the photo or the cars?

Sure, go ahead, nothing original to me. I saved this to my computer many moons ago and don't remember where it's from. The owner is named Eccles, I think...not that he'd be around any more. In addition to that picture of the 2 cars, there's a page of text I saved with it. Looking at The Standard Catalog, you have 12 car companies starting with the letters "black", only 1 of these goes back to the early 1890s

Here's an old post from George Allbright about an 1893 Black for sale:  

My screen capture about the 1934 photo is incomplete, but I'll try to paste it. Managed to get most of it from the Library Co. site, also:

[Mr. Eckels, winner of Antique Derby at the 1934 Philadelphia Auto Show, with his automobiles, a 1892 Blackie Car and a "1934 Delage"]

Title

[Mr. Eckels, winner of Antique Derby at the 1934 Philadelphia Auto Show, with his automobiles, a 1892 Blackie Car and a "1934 Delage"]

Description

Depicts Mr. Eckels holding up his trophy in his winning 1892 Blackie car parked on a street next to a luxury 1934 white Delage. Attached to the front of the "Blackie" is a sign declaring the car "a bouncing baby with ‘Standard’ in 1892” and "a Grand Old Dame with Essolene in 1934 and There's Life in the Old Gal yet!" The cars are surrounded by spectators, including young boys and two African American men., Title supplied by the cataloger., Manuscript note on verso: Mr. Eckels, winner of Antique Derby 1892 Blackie Car & "1934 Delage.", Photographer's blind stamp on recto., Photographer's imprint stamped on verso., Gift of Joseph Kelly, 1982., Description revised 2022., Access points revised 2022., Part of digital collections catalog through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services as administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education through the Office of Commonwealth Libraries, and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Tom Corbett, Governor, 2013-2014.

Creator

Photo Illustrators (Firm), photographer

Date

[1934]

Library Company of Philadelphia | Print Department Photo-Illustrators [P.8807.23]

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 3.11.26 PM.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jeff_a said:

The Delage is a D8-15 model with a special body, called Aeroprofil, from Parisian coach builder Gaston Grümmer. It was built during the second half of 1933 and then shipped to New York City in December that year to be exhibited at the New York Motor Show 1934. Grümmer thought his prototype might interest US automakers. Unfortunately for him, it was not the case and after a few months, the Delage was back in Europe. 

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 20.55.02.png

• Like 4

Thank you for the additional information, LaurentF. It was quite the motorcar, in the same league as the 1933 Silver Arrow and the Cord of 1936 - though a one-off coachbuilt design. I could find no indication it survived to the present.

Here is a Delage D-15 Aerosport. Perhaps the same inline 8 but a different coachbuilder: Letourneur & Marchand. I've said this before -- but this is a special kind of conveyance: if this car and woman appeared unregistered at an important auto event, it would be one of only a few examples I can conceive of to be allowed in to a place of honor on the showfield. Imagine Randy Ema in the "Twenty Grand" Duesenberg, Ola Källenius* showing up in a 1914 Mercedes Grand Prix car, or Scarlet Johansson tooling up to the visitor parking lot in a Bugatti Royale. Someone would let them in as a non-judged entry. Maybe Walt or a concours official could offer their opinion...

Delage D8 Aerosport Letourneur & Marchand 1934 | Otomobil

* CEO, Mercedes-Benz Group 

• Like 4