Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, George K said:

Work is work. A guys’ got to eat.

The car being scrapped was a 1929-'30 Cadillac Fleetwood Custom LIne sedan by the sweep panel on the cowl and window moldings.  By the mid-late-1930's, it would have had only scrap value even in good condition.

• Like 1

Lake Arrowhead, California. Date not noted. Not a large photo unfortunately but someone might be able to recognise the two big convertibles and maybe even the body makers.

I think a Big Six Studebaker parked between those two.  Possibly a 1929-30 Pontiac on the left, and a circa 1927 Chrysler 60. 

May be an image of 2 people, people standing, snow and tree

• Like 2

The large four door convertible sedan is a 1929-'31 Cadillac Fleetwood All-Weather Phaeton. To its right are a late 1920's Lincoln L and a 1930-'31 Packard dual cowl sport phaeton, either Custom or Deluxe Eight, with both its hood and rear cowl folded up.

Lake Arrowhead, CA resort.jpg

On 12/4/2022 at 6:14 AM, MetroPetro said:

BB5F1349-0AF8-4D25-A926-F59DDAA86A3D.jpeg

The car appears to be a 1930 or 1931 (they looked identical) Cadillac V-16 style number 4375 seven-passenger imperial sedan.  That roof must be custom built to support the lad who's sitting on it.  That's its transmission in the left foreground, and it looks like the car was in a wreck before it came to rest in this salvage facility.  Is there any information about the occasion or the source of the photo?

Chris Cummings

Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia, 5 December 1939. Pre WW2 the Australian car market was dominated by American makes although due to local tarriff laws most will be fitted with locally designed and built bodies, which generally look much like their US-built counterparts. NSW State Library photo.

The car closest to camera looks to be a 1937 Olds 8. Holdens only built 136 of those.

May be an image of 5 people, outdoors and text

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

A photo from my home town.  I believe they were all bought used site unseen and delivered by rail to the nearby train station. Story goes,  the guy that bought them,  for livery service was upset when they showed up and were all right hand drive. 

thumbnail.jpeg

Seems an odd thought when most cars of that era were right hand drive anyway. Or did that happen post WW1?

Here are a few more.  This garage eventually was bought by the marina across the street and used to fix boats.  I worked there for a few years and would park my old cars when I drove them to work out at the pump island.   The pumps were gone as was the canopy.  They still use the garage today. 

Looks like at one time there was a gas station or atleast pumps across the street for competition. 

The big store across the street is still there and pretty much looks the same. 

The brown or dark colored building on the lake,  burnt and was replaced witjh a concrete one, and was the post office for years.  It eventually sold,  became and antique store and the new owner did alot of work to make it look more rustic,  eventually looking much like the original structure. 

thumbnail-2.jpeg

thumbnail-3.jpeg

thumbnail-4.jpeg

thumbnail-5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia, 5 December 1939. Pre WW2 the Australian car market was dominated by American makes although due to local tarriff laws most will be fitted with locally designed and built bodies, which generally look much like their US-built counterparts. NSW State Library photo.

The car closest to camera looks to be a 1937 Olds 8. Holdens only built 136 of those.

May be an image of 5 people, outdoors and text

A few non-car photos of Bondi Beach from the same year, worth a browse.

https://collection.sl.nsw.gov.au/record/9ALZ5e5Y/3rjAx2KWAOw5q

Edited by Scooby Doo (see edit history)

It’s a great car, and I had a chance to play with it a few years ago. Seems they thought it was a good idea to leave it in the parking lot while the local tractor mechanic was plowing the snow with the John Deere……..he did an oops! True story. Too bad that it’s puke green and yellow. Seems Powell and Gable shared a wife and a few girlfriends. Don’t think he ever owned a decent car……

D1852A11-0059-4F3B-BEF2-848F21C88609.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, edinmass said:

It’s a great car, and I had a chance to play with it a few years ago. Seems they thought it was a good idea to leave it in the parking lot while the local tractor mechanic was plowing the snow with the John Deere……..he did an oops! True story. Too bad that it’s puke green and yellow. Seems Powell and Gable shared a wife and a few girlfriends. Don’t think he ever owned a decent car……

D1852A11-0059-4F3B-BEF2-848F21C88609.png

Ouch! Somebody was drunk when they looked at a paint chart. Even if it’s right it’s wrong.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2022 at 3:50 PM, nzcarnerd said:

1914 Peerless 60-Six?

I can't tell if it's a 60-Six or 48-Six. Wonderful photo. My guess is that it's a 1913 48-Six, based on some pictures showing the hood projecting forward of the front axle on 60-Sixes.

Alex Cauthen could tell you in a Dallas Minute.