Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

15 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Can you help me date this by the cars? What is the one that fell over the  seawall? I believe this is in Galveston. 

8F04F2F7-E87B-44D1-94B1-39EEAA448EB3.jpeg

It's interesting to see the way they are recovering the runaway car, with the tow truck side on. I wonder if the boom on the opposite side is anchored to another car.

• Like 1

Doble-Detroit.

Doble-Detroit 4-Passenger Sport Car- 1917/18?

Doble-Detroit touring

Unlike later Doble automobiles made in Emeryville, CA., the Detroit-Doble used a steam generator featuring vertical grids of water tubes connected by headers with the burner located beneath the unit rather than on top as with the later model D and following models.

image.png.2b5eeccec60bbfd6e343a2fd5a3795ce.png

Doble-Detroit dash panel and controls.

image.png.414948eadc0aa1f48f4e57449949cbad.png

Doble-Detroit chassis featuring a uniflow steam engine. 

image.png.cb34da320f6f6d7ce00d500c319ae761.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These two pics were posted on a local facebook page with the message - "Can anybody shed some light on these? A & G Price don't know of it. But my father worked there 1930 - 1935 and the backs have a processing stamp from Bongards Thames? Badge on the grill has A & G Price Thames NZ and Doble System.

Information was posted by Mark Erskine - "These photos are of one of the three Doble prototype buses made at A & G Price, Thames in about 1930. When Doble Steam Cars went into Liquidation in the USA, Abner Doble came to NZ (in 1930) with his own Doble Steam car - a magnificent looking "E" Series Roadster that survives in either Stan Lucas's or Jay Leno's museum collections (can't remember which??). Doble came here to fulfill a contractual agreement with A & G Price to design and build steam powered buses for the Auckland Transport Board. He brought his girlfriend along and they lived with John Stewart's family ("Steam" Stewart) in Matai Road, Greenlane, Auckland. Doble commuted each day to Thames in his steam powered Doble "E" Series roadster and with roads the way they were back then, this was quite a feat for any type of vehicle. The three prototypes were the most evolved design of Doble steam powered vehicles in the world ("F" Series?) and they vastly out-performed contemporary petrol powered buses in terms of speed and running costs. However the Great Depression had struck NZ and the very expensive Doble Steam buses lost out to the cheaper / lesser petrol powered vehicles and the project was scrapped. A & G Price had by this time manufactured significant numbers of parts to Doble designs for Doble steam engines, boilers, rear axles, control systems, anticipating production that never happened. William Price - as a 13 year old "apprentice" at the family business - built a Doble steam engine from the new parts and got it running on compressed air. Being a foundry operation in addition to a large engineering operation, the entire store contents of new Doble parts were re-cycled through the smelter after the ATB contract was terminated. White Bus Service brought and operated the Fageol chassis Doble bus for a while between Auckland and Thames, but the technology was too advanced for the local mechanics and the bus was withdrawn from service. Don't know what happened to the other two Doble prototype buses. The sole surviving artifact from the three Doble steam bus prototypes is a engine / diff assembly from one of them which is in Brian Rankine's collection near Feilding."

312555651_10158799171311712_4480271235032661805_n.jpg

313130724_10158799171336712_3960902004246116185_n.jpg

Brian Rankine, mentioned in the info has owned Doble E13 for many years - my photo taken at Rotorua in 1980 - 

E-13 at Rotorua 1980 my pic.jpg

A newspaper photo of the third chassis built which apparently didn't go into service - from Garth Stewart - "There were three steam buses produced by A&G Price, the first was a AEC converted with the steam engine. The other were Fageol chassis and had the Doble steam engines fitted. The first of these Fageol chassis buses went to an operator that travelled to Auckland but forgotten who it was. The third chassis went to Transport Bus Services, however never entered service as a stream bus due to being damaged and the company fitted a petrol engine. Attached is a photo of the Transport Bus Services one, from my collection via the NZ Herald.

312942643_3659953024238084_8513465348869059737_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Brian Rankine, mentioned in the info has owned Doble E13 for many years

Many years ago I stopped at a library book sale in Somesville, Maine  - a small village near Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Pawing through the boxes etc. I found a copy of "Doble Steam Cars, Busses, Lorries & Railcars" by J.N. Walton. (3rd edition). I spent 25 cents on it. Tucked away among the pages was an 8 page excerpt from "Light Steam Power" titled "Doble E13 Shines in International Rally" by B.T. Rankine which details his efforts to bring E13 (purchased from Alex Gudsell in 1966) back to life and its performance in the 13th annual Vintage Car Rally. 

Its a wonderful account. Since then I have always wondered how this little printed account of a Doble in New Zealand and published on the Isle of Man ended up tucked away in the pages of a book on the coast of Maine. Regardless, I am thankful I spent that 25 cents.

IMG_0287.jpg.e6b592026158a4b52d0f8edcf4999327.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg.b28ddfd321d8c92ccb0c673eb9f64752.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The George W. McNear , Inc. company of Brookline,, Mass. was a coach builder on a variety of chassis from huge luxury cars to more "everyday" driver type chassis. This is a photo taken for McNear by the Block - Jones Photo Company a commercial photographer of Boston, Mass.  It shows the rear compartment of a 1934 Ford Town Car that McNear created using a stock Ford V8 4 door sedan. They removed the section of the sedan roof over the driver , reupholstered the entire interior front and back etc. to create a formal car . It saved a huge cost over totally creating the entire body from scratch and in 1934 the USA and the world were suffering from the affects of the great financial depression. I have other photographs of the exterior of the car and all were used many years ago in a story I did for Special Interest Autos magazine .

FORD toencar 1934McNear.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Just so very neat to see the publications from around the wold "in the era" and not the more popular ones that were printed in quantity but the less familiar ones that equally can provide such wonderful information. Another piece of the car history puzzle. They are all very important for information and images and artwork that was only seen or created for that particular publication.  All the artwork was hand drawn, no computers, or reference files at the touch of a button for a photo or image.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, twin6 said:

6.jpg

Looks to be a chain-drive Panhard from circa 1908-09. I can't see in this limo pic whether it has the steering tie rod across the front or not - usually a clue to an early date. I found this pic in my search for info - supposedly a 1908 car, though I suspect it is earlier than that.

See the source image

• Like 3

East St, Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand in the 1920s. As can be seen the NZ car market was dominated by American models. In that era Est St was the main north/south route through town but about 20 years ago the parallel street on the other side of the railway, oddly enough called West St, became the 'main' road to relieve traffic congestion.

\

East St Ashburton 20s  LR tm postcard.jpg

A 2019 streetview photo of the same location. Very few buildings left from that earlier era.

East St Ashburton 19.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

This car appears on a lot of postcards from the era, different people and different locations, same unique car. Bob 

1904-1907 German Apollo Piccolo with 5 horsepower 704 cubiccentimeter engine

https://www.spitzerer.de/historie/slevogt/piccolo_werb1.htm

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1