Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

A visual feast of not just the vehicles themselves but all the totally amazing architecture, buildings etc in the back ground, all built by hand , not preformed and delivered, all masons working hard with brick, and stone and mortar.  Just look at the vehicles on display at the motor show - the totally over the top back ground ornamentation etc. Incredible. Cast Iron lamp posts in position to resemble a street scene to give it a better impression of actual location. Just to move that stuff into position - not made of foam or plastic to more easily set up and remove.

Special thanks to Peter for sharing these as well as my good buddy "Twinsix" for taking all the time to let is see these outstanding images.  This is indeed an on going history lesson for all of us and courtesy of our host AACA!  Come on everyone if you don't belong to AACA JOIN NOW out of respect for what you are looking at every day ( several times a day?!!!!)

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, pre10 said:

Car at the top is a Simplex, about 1910.

With an accessory windshield, a type I have seen several times before but can't recall the name of.

I think the middle one is a circa 1904 Fiat and the lower one a Mercer.

20 hours ago, pre10 said:

Now back to some 'period' images.

I have a mystery to solve here. This first photo showed up on a facebook page and I recognised it, having seen it before - back in 2015 as it turned out.

It is a 1907-08 Darracq, a big one, probably 50 hp. Darracq changed their radiator styles quite frequently.

May be an image of 14 people, people standing and outdoors

Another shot, although obviously from a different occasion, of which is presumed to be the same car, is readily available on the net - 

May be an image of 1 person, outdoors and text that says 'AUTOEAR A huge Darracq coach which was seen leaving the Aerodrome at the Bournemouth Fetes.'

The mystery is this. I am sure I have seen a shot of the same car taken in a US city - maybe Boston - and I recall a story about the owner taking it there and using it as a hire car. I now can't recall where I read that. Vintman doesn't recall it either.  I am hoping this might jog a memory or two.

Now this is an interesting photo; love these accident photos.  The skid mark by the right front wheel into the road bed shows the car slid and stopped against the safety wall.  The car probably was not going fast up so there probably was not an excessive speed factor.  There appears to be snow on the side of the road, at the left of the photo.  Perhaps there was a slippage and traction problem that contributed to the accident.  It appears that the hood (bonnet) came apart in two pieces.  Perhaps the right king pin broke, or a number of wooden wheel spokes broke.  It appears that the right front wheel is cranked over hard left, while the left front wheel is over at hard right.  Thank you, Peter.

Piccard-Pictet & Cie accident.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LCK81403 said:

Now this is an interesting photo; love these accident photos.  The skid mark by the right front wheel into the road bed shows the car slid and stopped against the safety wall.  The car probably was not going fast up so there probably was not an excessive speed factor.  There appears to be snow on the side of the road, at the left of the photo.  Perhaps there was a slippage and traction problem that contributed to the accident.  It appears that the hood (bonnet) came apart in two pieces.  Perhaps the right king pin broke, or a number of wooden wheel spokes broke.  It appears that the right front wheel is cranked over hard left, while the left front wheel is over at hard right.  Thank you, Peter.

Piccard-Pictet & Cie accident.jpeg

There might have been some skid marks in the occupants' underwear as well - 😉😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

The first disappearing top…………

BA19E7B9-DF7B-4A32-8B06-FFB1C8A82F4E.png

Ed: 

Do we know if Springfield Metal Body Co. was the builder of these innovative bodies for Stevens-Duryea?

And are any examples still extant?

Steve

Built for Steven’s probably 99 percent likely  ……..any surviving, I haven’t seen one. 

• Like 2

More great photos from Twin SIx.

That Auburn is superb. Note that one of the Auburn sales locations was on South Figueroa Street. A great story could be written about that area as it was "automobile row" for just about 90% of the car dealerships in the 1920s thru early 1930s era for southern California. I have some fairly complete listings of who had what dealership at what number for about 1927, The service areas weren't to far distant. Many of the dealerships belonged to a club for same and all were active in promoting the Salon held in Los Angeles. Custom coachwork companies also were in the area and had great working relationships with car dealers. Murphy bodies on Hudson and Essex, lots of local creations that did not see exposure across the country from the west coast. Wellington Everett Miller and several other fellows and i had a lot of correspondence about this about 4 decades ago , now I am the only one left to recall and document the conversations we had via mailed letters. It was long before the internet made conversations quicker. A fair amount of great period images exist of what was going on as well, one just needs to know what you are looking at and add the story to complete the picture. Packard, Lincoln, Franklin , Cadillac and others were very prominent in what was going on .

Walt in NY

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

Autumn motorists (NJ plate?).

unk (2).jpg

Now that's Motoring ! Interesting rear fenders. Normaly you would only see short running boards and swept forward rear fenders on a Roadster or Runabout. 

What is not to love about the '32 Auburn 12-160?  Somewhere along the line my accumulated files picked up an artist's rendering of a car that displays very closely with the one in the advertisement photograph.  Is the coachwork builder known for this car?  It has two door hinges, whereas the cabriolet/coupe model has three door hinges.

Was there a design relationship among Auburn and Duesenberg?  Whenever I see an Auburn from the early 1930s, there is a suggestion of Duesenberg design influence in the Auburn, reminiscent of Lincoln design carrying over into Ford's Model A, sometimes referred to as a "baby Lincoln".

32 Auburn 12-160 Sedan 002.jpg

32 Auburn 12-160 Sedan 001.jpg

32 Auburn 12-160 Phaeton.jpg

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

More great photos from Twin SIx.

That Auburn is superb. Note that one of the Auburn sales locations was on South Figueroa Street. A great story could be written about that area as it was "automobile row" for just about 90% of the car dealerships in the 1920s thru early 1930s era for southern California. I have some fairly complete listings of who had what dealership at what number for about 1927, The service areas weren't to far distant. Many of the dealerships belonged to a club for same and all were active in promoting the Salon held in Los Angeles. Custom coachwork companies also were in the area and had great working relationships with car dealers. Murphy bodies on Hudson and Essex, lots of local creations that did not see exposure across the country from the west coast. Wellington Everett Miller and several other fellows and i had a lot of correspondence about this about 4 decades ago , now I am the only one left to recall and document the conversations we had via mailed letters. It was long before the internet made conversations quicker. A fair amount of great period images exist of what was going on as well, one just needs to know what you are looking at and add the story to complete the picture. Packard, Lincoln, Franklin , Cadillac and others were very prominent in what was going on .

Walt in NY

I am always amazed when you describe your documents, WaltG. For sure they form great archives of automotive industry history. We are all happy you are keeping, enriching, preserving, growing and mainly sharing these archives!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JRA  I am happy to share what I can when I can , always have been, and urge my friends to do so as well. Many have as they have contributed more period photos to this thread then I have. I taught art for decades and found the joy creating art by the kids in my class brought me great joy and satisfaction. I feel the same about the information, publications etc of the pre war era I have collected. Beyond the cars I am the appointed historian for the village my family has resided in for nearly a century.  Wrote a book on that community etc. For many decades I wrote a column for the CCCA publications but left that club about 4 years ago after being shunned due to my poor health at that time.

We all are so fortunate to have these forums at the touch of a button to see some totally amazing images and read about incredible vehicles from another earlier era.

• Like 2

This single page sales flyer was issued about 1926-27 , it is not dated but the same image was used in the era in salon catalogs. The car is a R-R built in Springfield, Mass with a Locke body. Note the severe v to the windshield. This car survived and was restored about 50 years ago by a great friend named Richard Scarsella of Cold Spring Harbor, NY.

We used to visit his place and have lunch or drinks and share friendship. I believe when he restored the car he polished the hood and it was painted tan not the darker color shown here. I have no idea where the car currently is now . Many companies supplied all sorts of items to the coach builders from nails, to leather , to sheet metal and castings etc. Many of those companies are never ever mentioned by authors in stories or given due credit.

Hope this puts a smile on your face today when we honor all the service people who made our great country safe.

LEATHERRRGHOSTresized.JPG

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

What is not to love about the '32 Auburn 12-160?  Somewhere along the line my accumulated files picked up an artist's rendering of a car that displays very closely with the one in the advertisement photograph.  Is the coachwork builder known for this car?  It has two door hinges, whereas the cabriolet/coupe model has three door hinges.

Was there a design relationship among Auburn and Duesenberg?  Whenever I see an Auburn from the early 1930s, there is a suggestion of Duesenberg design influence in the Auburn, reminiscent of Lincoln design carrying over into Ford's Model A, sometimes referred to as a "baby Lincoln".

32 Auburn 12-160 Sedan 002.jpg

32 Auburn 12-160 Sedan 001.jpg

32 Auburn 12-160 Phaeton.jpg

The designer was Alan Leamy who created these wonderful, elegant designs:

Alan H. Leamy Jr., Al Leamy, Alan Leamy, body designer, stylist, Cord L-29, Auburn 8-98, Auburn Speedster, E.L. Cord, Marmon - CoachBuilt.com

The Auburn and Cord convertible bodies were built by:

Limousine Body Company, Limousine Top Co., Michigan Buggy Co., Cord L-29, Auburn - Coachbuilt.com

17 hours ago, Walt G said:

This single page sales flyer was issued about 1926-27 , it is not dated but the same image was used in the era in salon catalogs. The car is a R-R built in Springfield, Mass with a Locke body. Note the severe v to the windshield. This car survived and was restored about 50 years ago by a great friend named Richard Scarsella of Cold Spring Harbor, NY.

We used to visit his place and have lunch or drinks and share friendship. I believe when he restored the car he polished the hood and it was painted tan not the darker color shown here. I have no idea where the car currently is now . Many companies supplied all sorts of items to the coach builders from nails, to leather , to sheet metal and castings etc. Many of those companies are never ever mentioned by authors in stories or given due credit.

Hope this puts a smile on your face today when we honor all the service people who made our great country safe.

LEATHERRRGHOSTresized.JPG

Interesting ad from the late '20's promoting genuine leather upholstery.  Here is an ad promoting leather upholstery 30 years later in post #8/9 in this thread here:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/4827-stock-leather-interiors

Craig

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Just got this colorized pic...blowing it up the guy in coverall's has Hudson written on it.  Any more light to share on this one?  

Hudson race car.jpg

Steve, Thank you for the HUDSON photo, it turned out very well , some colorizing doesn't. The car is the Ira Vail Factory team car thar raced in the INDY 500 1919 and finished in 8th place. If someone has the time, go through SPEED AGE magazines from 1950 on back and there is a photo in the letters to the editor section, it turned up on a used car lot in Philadelphia. D. Cameron Peck bought it and it was featured in an early issue of Antique Automobile, Lindley Bothwell was the next owner, he sold it to Bill Harrah. It was in a Harrah auction and I could have bought it for $23,500 ( reason I wanted it to follow) Tom Barrett won it and restored it and it was advertised for around $99,000. if my memory is correct. It is now in South Korea in the Samsung collection.

I still would love to own the car, I have all the paperwork to go with it. Ira Vail sold it to a young H.D.Carpenter in Philadelphia who ran it on the street and hired drivers to race it on local tracks. I have the papers for parts & repair work along with the race programs. I'll dig through my stuff and add what looks interesting. If you know anyone at Samsung, and want to broker the rescue please let me know. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1