Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Photographs showing cars parked at the Maungaturoto Dairy in New Zealand on 23 November 1934 are really interesting.  Even though the date is late in 1934 virtually all of the cars appear to date from the mid-teens and 1920s.  One of the cars appears to be an English Austin Model 7 of about '32 or '33 vintage.

Austin 7.jpg

The Stutz looks almost new - note that there is no dirt/slop etc on the front axle, crank handle, windshield - no bugs in the radiator, lamps all bright and polished.  Does the wear on the tires reflect the cobble stone/block/brick  paved street?  Fender both top and bottom seem to glow in a shiny surface, well polished.

2 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Photographs showing cars parked at the Maungaturoto Dairy in New Zealand on 23 November 1934 are really interesting.  Even though the date is late in 1934 virtually all of the cars appear to date from the mid-teens and 1920s.  One of the cars appears to be an English Austin Model 7 of about '32 or '33 vintage.

Austin 7.jpg

That one is a 1933 Austin Ten. The car next to it (plate 20.702) is a Clyno - note it has quarter elliptic rear springs. Someone on the local facebook page where these appeared thought it was a Morris but those have semi-elliptics on the rear. I have friends who have owned a Clyno, a 1926 10.8 hp Royal,  for many years, of those which I have driven a few times. Even though the Coventry Simplex four cylinder engine is only 1368 cc it goes quite well, although its three speed gearbox limits it on hills. One weird thing with it is that there in only one universal joint in the driveline - between the engine and gearbox, so as the diff goes up and down so does the gearbox and you feel the right side shifter moving up and down as well. It does have very good brakes though.

Clyno - Wikipedia

As I noted in the description there were very few new cars imported in 1931-33. There unlikely to be many pre-mid '20s models there as during the prosperous years of the late 1920s car sales were very strong and the earlier two wheel brake models mostly disappeared. New car registrations peaked at 21,405 in 1929 (the population was 1.48 million). The lowest year was 1933 with only 3,685 new registrations, many of which will have been leftover models from previous years.

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

The Stutz looks almost new - note that there is no dirt/slop etc on the front axle, crank handle, windshield - no bugs in the radiator, lamps all bright and polished.  Does the wear on the tires reflect the cobble stone/block/brick  paved street?  Fender both top and bottom seem to glow in a shiny surface, well polished.

It is on a dealer plate so I guess is being demonstrated.

I don't think that is wear on the tyres. It looks more like the wet marks from the wet patches between the cobbles.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HK500 said:

Here's a Paramount Studio promotional photo for their 1926 Movie "The Blind Goddess" with Esther Ralston and a Hispano-Suiza.   Interesting 2 tone, and look at the horns!  wow. 

1926Hisso.jpg

That must look pretty wild from a full side view with those dark areas and the spare in the center.

11 hours ago, jukejunkie1015 said:

1903.jpg.ce0a1dfff1fe0b9cc43fbd265e9b6c8d.jpgAt least the flat is at home.

Autocar from around 1906. Had unique throttle and spark controls in the steering wheel that worked like motorcycle hand controls. I forget the wheel manufactures name, but the stokes and fellows are steel not wood. 

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 5:19 AM, nzcarnerd said:

Shared from a facebook page on which one Geoff Hunt shared this image from The Texas Collection. Location Franklin Ave, Waco, Texas.  

I think the touring car and the roadster are new Overlands but the limo looks older and probably another brand? Hudson??

20s autos Geoff Hunt Waco TX.jpg

In response to that photo Bob Compere commented that his grandfather had a Studebaker dealership right across the street - 

64307442_2643911315619188_83397808876337

Right : 1912 Marathon Torpedo Roadster

Left : 1910 Pullman (30Hp Model K) Limousine

Center : 1912 Overland (59-T) Touring

19 hours ago, HK500 said:

Here's a Paramount Studio promotional photo for their 1926 Movie "The Blind Goddess" with Esther Ralston and a Hispano-Suiza.   Interesting 2 tone, and look at the horns!  wow. 

1926Hisso.jpg

Reminds me of the 1965-1967 Mustang Players cigarettes giveaway cars: 

https://www.mustangspecs.com/1966-ford-mustang-players-special-edition/

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/mustang-players-special-edition

Craig

Edited by 8E45E
added 2nd link (see edit history)

11 hours ago, twin6 said:

Lozier, maybe 1911?  What's on the runningboard?

Lozier.jpg

That 'thing' on the running board looks to be cast aluminium and has a piece on top where something else might be clamped to. I wonder if it is the lid to the box below the running board.

I guess the Lozier dates from 1913??

That funky parking light should ID the car....neat photo. I have a similar shot of a Springfield Ghost from 1922 with an attached radio set off the back of the car...........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

"A car radio? What will they think of next!" Harold with Sam Taylor and Fred Newmeyer, on location for GIRL SHY. (Fred's car.)

Any ideas what the car might be? It wasn't used in the movie it seems - IMCDb.org: "Girl Shy, 1924": cars, bikes, trucks and other vehicles

May be an image of 3 people and outdoors

The radio on the running board looks to be a 1924 Echophone Model-A Made by the Radio Shop Sunnyvale Cal. The Horn Speaker Harrold is holding is a Dictogrand. Both available at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Ed -- please post the '22 Springfield with the radio.  I've been a HAM radio operator for 58 years and always interested in "mobile rigs".

I'm 8 years behind you, will a Pierce Arrow do while Ed finds the RR photo? 

1911 Pierce Arrow radio.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, great radio car photos.  The Rickenbacker deserves high marks for having the extra special "6 Point Buck" radiator ornament rather than the factory standard airplane.

Rickenbacker Radio Car 001.jpg

Rickenbacker radiator decoration.jpg

26 Rickenbacker deco.jpg

• Like 1

I think this pre war page might get more 'foot traffic' than some others - I know I look at it more frequently than some others.

I have posted an enquiry on the post war page - I hope someone who knows their Cadillac V16s can work out what it is.

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

"A car radio? What will they think of next!" Harold with Sam Taylor and Fred Newmeyer, on location for GIRL SHY. (Fred's car.)

Any ideas what the car might be? It wasn't used in the movie it seems - IMCDb.org: "Girl Shy, 1924": cars, bikes, trucks and other vehicles

This one has been identified by Ron Hausman (Kissel guru?) as a 1921 or 1922 Kissel Model 6-45 Coach Sedan. 

Maybe there are no survivors of that model as his posted comparison photo is a 1923 Model 6-55 Brougham Sedan - 

May be an image of outdoors

Another piece of trivia there is the Steve Martin grew up next door to Harold Lloyd, and got to drive his 1936 Pierce-Arrow V12 as a youngster. 

• Like 1

The Rolls photo was posted in the CCCA magazine back in the mid 90’s………doubt I can find it now. It’s somewhere buried in my boxes of stuff…….long before the internet and computers.

• Like 1

In addition to radios in cars there is evidence that telephones were also being tinkered with.  While the caption of the photo of the R-C-H says it is a "wireless telephone" the rig is probably just a voice AM HF radio signal.  The Ford with a trunk load of Motorola equipment does indeed appear to be a telephone rig.  The operator appears to have more tread on the sides of his bald head than the spare tire has tread.

Car Phone 001 R-C-H automobile.jpg

Car Phone 002 Ford.jpg

Riker truck Chester Co Radio Assn.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I sure hope the engine was running, and maintaining a charge on the battery. 

Those early tube radios consumed a LOT of juice, and would sufficiently drain a battery in an hour to a point the car wouldn't start!!  

Craig

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 12:53 PM, twin6 said:

I'm 8 years behind you, will a Pierce Arrow do while Ed finds the RR photo? 

1911 Pierce Arrow radio.jpg

Since I am prepping to go to a local antique radio meet these photos are timely. The staged radios on running boards are interesting that the "B" batteries required to operate them take up as much space as the radios themselves. To light the early tubes would have requires a 6 V car battery. This is probably a 1923-24 time period shown by the curved neck R-3 Magnavox speaker. The radio itself is a 1 tube Colin B. Kenedy receiver. Close to the rear fender is a Magnavox 2 tube power amplifier. Notice the 2 sets of headphones hanging from the top. The rear seat passenger does not look impressed.

This photo of a Studebaker brodcasting station is interesting.  The Studie is large enough to be a truck, and sort of resembles a passenger bus or a repurposed funeral hearse.  A sign across the front reads "Studebaker Motor Coach".  The station call letters K-J-B-S, San Francisco, California initially came on the air on January 3rd, 1925 as K-F-U-Q, operated by the Willard Storage Battery Company in San Francisco.

Car Radio 002 Studebaker.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

"This photo of a Studebaker broadcasting station is interesting.  The Studie is large enough to be a truck, and sort of resembles a passenger bus or a repurposed funeral hearse.  A sign across the front reads "Studebaker Motor Coach". "

During 1925-'27, Studebaker fielded the heavy-duty Model N commercial chassis in multiple long-wheelbase lengths which were powered by the 354 ci Big Six used in the Model EP and ES passenger cars series, which they also resemble.    The intended markets were funeral/hearse/mourner coach and bus-line operators.   As the electric streetcars and light rail interurbans were failing all over the country, the continuing need for more efficient public transportation modes was being fulfilled by bus-line operations.  

• Like 1