Anyone looking for a Cord or an Auburn Boat tail?

52 minutes ago, md murray said:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/fl20/palm-beach/lots/r0040-1936-auburn-boattail-speedster-replica/843144

-Anybody notice this car? Boy its a dead ringer- too good to be an old Glen Pray isn't it? Someone put some time in here.

I did notice it and agree it is well done.  My only nit is that with all the work put in why wouldn't you add the most important ingredient:  the blower.

• Like 1

That was more money.  At some point you run out.  I know I have.  Being it will always be a Replica,  I wonder if it will make any real difference besides the cost of the blower in the end.  What's a blower cost? 25G for a complete restored one?  If so I imagine it might be worth exactly that much more,  maybe even less.  Atleast they spent the money on the interior,  unlike that Duessy replica on the econoline chassis. 

1 hour ago, md murray said:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/fl20/palm-beach/lots/r0040-1936-auburn-boattail-speedster-replica/843144

-Anybody notice this car? Boy its a dead ringer- too good to be an old Glen Pray isn't it? Someone put some time in here.

Backtrack:  It is my understanding that Glenn Pray did build a handful of cars in this exact configuration of identical in looks fiberglass body mated to factory chassis/drivetrain and trim. 

Hmm interesting.... And for heaven's sake can someone please clarify the whole 100 mph A.B. Jenkins dash plaque thing for me once and for all. I have always thought this to be an ingenious little piece of marketing. I had been told that they would just wind them up to 100 real quick before they put them on the rail cars for shipping but recently someone told me that they were not originally installed on all speedsters?

I know just about nothing about Auburns, however I would probably drive this one twer it mine.

It that blower mechanically driven? It almost looks like its hooked up to the exhaust which would make it Turbo charged.

Sorry to be ignorant, I just haven't ever been into these.

Edit: looks like it leaks as well.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, md murray said:

ecently someone told me that they were not originally installed on all speedsters?

My understanding is that these were fabricated in the 1960's, and started to be put on Auburns and Cords for fun.  As time went on, the legend grew that each car had been driven that speed at the factory.  

I believe it's all one of those good stories that take root, even if untrue, just like the supposed "law" that made Pierce headlights illegal in New York, which is also not true but has been repeated so many times people take it for fact.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trimacar said:

My understanding is that these were fabricated in the 1960's, and started to be put on Auburns and Cords for fun.  As time went on, the legend grew that each car had been driven that speed at the factory.  

I believe it's all one of those good stories that take root, even if untrue, just like the supposed "law" that made Pierce headlights illegal in New York, which is also not true but has been repeated so many times people take it for fact.

Yep- that whole NY light thing is another whopper I was told long ago and always believed right up until you folks discussed it on here last fall.:D Boy do I feel gullible! Thank you for clearing that up.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I know just about nothing about Auburns, however I would probably drive this one twer it mine.

It that blower mechanically driven? It almost looks like its hooked up to the exhaust which would make it Turbo charged.

Sorry to be ignorant, I just haven't ever been into these.

Edit: looks like it leaks as well.

This car does not have its blower.    But on a real Auburn it is a supercharger not a turbo charger.  Very similar to Graham and Duesenberg.  Driven from a shaft coming from the front of the engine off a gear run by the timing chain.

This was found under a porch about 15 years ago where it has been sitting for 50 years.

SuperChargedAuburnLeft.jpeg

Is this 1935 Auburn not advertised as a supercharged car ?

Buy you say it does not have its blower.

I can see more clearly the set up on this discovered engine pic the drive shaft coming from the front, I presume the timing chain area.

I can see that the replica car does not have its blower, so you must be referring to that one.

Cool stuff. Thanks.

33 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Is this 1935 Auburn not advertised as a supercharged car ?

Buy you say it does not have its blower.

I can see more clearly the set up on this discovered engine pic the drive shaft coming from the front, I presume the timing chain area.

I can see that the replica car does not have its blower, so you must be referring to that one.

Cool stuff. Thanks.

The Elkart car at the top of the thread is real and blown,  I was referring to the Palm Beach car.  I should have been more clear.

That OP 1935 Auburn Boattail should be enough car to satisfy anyone's automotive desires well into the next life! I have no idea what it might bring $-wise in the current state of the hobby and the economy, but I'm guessing a big number. Magnificant!!