Swap Meet find

Robert G. Smits

As usual when I go to a swap meet I come home with something I don’t need. These have very light rust. Any suggestions on cleaning before I list then. Also tires are 7.00 by 17 and never been on the ground. Any value?  Thanks

410CF8BE-B669-4422-BBC1-ECA6AB7E7C95.jpeg

5754948C-B408-4065-B827-141DAC8C7342.jpeg

1018A371-E40B-4A13-9562-A7859513F55C.jpeg

I think the logic on this one is simple, Dr. Bob. If you quite simply can not resist temptation, in any case, don't do anything more than throwing them in the pickup and taking them to the car wash. If you have a power washer at home, you can skip the trip. You just don't know what the ultimate end user will want to do with your find. Sure, they might even want to use as is in HPOF. Great looking tires and all. You have taken them from a limited exposure venue where they might have continued to languish. Now, just give them wide publicity to get them to the lady or gentleman who needs them. They might even thank you for having left them alone, rather than trying to read the tea leaves in order to divine the intent of an as yet unknown purchaser. Though you are in better physical shape than I am, you are a bit older....................       What else would you rather do this weekend ?     Your young forum friend,   -   Cadillac Carl 

• Like 2

The tires will have almost no monetary value. Someone might want them for a display item as they are a well recognised name brand. But I doubt anyone would pay for them + shipping. 

But then I don't collect display items so my opinion is skewed.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

Yes I actually have a matched pair of wheels with the lock ting and tires, one never mounted.  Thank you C Carl.  I don't want to do anything that will be negative for the eventual owner.  Actually the reason they caught my attention is that they are similar to the front wheels on my 1939 Big Sprint car.

Edited by Robert G. Smits
Addition (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Yes I actually have a matched pair of wheels with the lock ting and tires, one never mounted.  Thank you C Carl.  I don't want to do anything that will be negative for the eventual owner.  Actually the reason they caught my attention is that they are similar to the front wheels on my 1939 Big Sprint car.

If you have any of the smaller sprint car wire wheels or hubs I'd be interested in them. Bob 

Exact I.D. of center lock wheels can be at times difficult. There are more variables than you might expect. Rim diameter, rim width, spoke number, sometimes spoke pattern , hub type. And in some cases hub size. Also some have studs for wheel weights but most do not.

Some are relatively easy, but others can require a expert eye.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

Here is a thought. If you put a set of mags on a 1964 Chevy as an example it is considered modified. So if you put a set of wire wheels say on an early model T is it considered modified also. I have seen many A's on tour with V8 wire wheels and that is acceptable. In ether case is it eligible to go on an AACA  National tour.

This issue reared its head a few years ago when a fellow drove his car with mags on a week long tour up here and we will say it was noticed. Is there a call on this or can any vintage of car run what ever wheels they want on a national tour. 

13 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

If you have any of the smaller sprint car wire wheels or hubs I'd be interested in them. Bob 

Unfortunately these are the only wire wheels I have.  I do have an assortment of later aluminum sprint car wheels off my Buick V6 powered Chile Bowl Sprint Car but they go with the car when I sell it.

13 hours ago, sftamx1 said:

I have had this Auburn knockoff for nearly 50 years,bought it from a old time local scrapyard. it's a heavy paperweight!  I would guess  1930 vintage?

20200301_110240.jpg

That knockoff reminds me of the junk yard on Rt 22 in Dover N.Y. that had a cutting torch cart with two Auburn wire wheels with the knockoffs, must have been easy to roll around the yard. Bob 

On 2/29/2020 at 12:29 PM, 1912Staver said:

The tires will have almost no monetary value. Someone might want them for a display item as they are a well recognised name brand. But I doubt anyone would pay for them + shipping. 

But then I don't collect display items so my opinion is skewed.

Greg in Canada

The tires may be perfectly fine. You can't tell by the photo.

"I have seen many A's on tour with V8 wire wheels and that is acceptable." Then the '78 15x8 Pontiac factory snowflakes on my '70 Judge are OK ? (The 14x6s that came on it aren't even safe in the driveway).

12 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

I don't see how the above wheels or my friend's could be made for a knockoff as there aren't any threads on the protruding hub to screw on to. of interest are the gear teeth on the inside of the drum

There no hub in the photo, that may be the reason. Bob 

• Like 1