Our friend Carl Blackard has passed...

1965rivgs

Carl was a friend who I always enjoyed meeting and talking to at the national meets. He was a great listener before he spoke which is one reason he had so much wisdom to share. As Ed said, always more than willing to share his knowledge with anyone in need and did it with great humility.

RIP Carl and my condolences to his family. This is a reminder that you never know when that ROA friend or acquaintance you are talking to at a national meet might be the last time you see them so make the most of those moments. Peace

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JZRIV said:

This is a reminder that you never know when that ROA friend or acquaintance you are talking to at a national meet might be the last time you see them so make the most of those moments.

This is so true of the entire auto hobby.

Sounds like a great car guy........wish I could have had the opportunity to meet him! A lot of times you

don't really appreciate how much someone means to you until they are gone. I was very touched by the

story Jason Zerbini told about the owner of the salvage yard he used when he was a kid, and then discovering

the man by accident at the funeral home while attending the funeral of a relative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carl was a good friend. He helped me with my ‘65 and I tried to return the favor by helping him with his recently acquired ‘69. He had a very gentle soul and I miss him already. His body shop is in good hands, though; his son’s. I know Carl was really struggling this past year or two. I’m sure he is In a better place now. Godspeed, Carl...

• Thanks 1

I got to know Carl rather well in the last 5 or 7 years. Of course, we met due to our mutual love of all things Buick but we were also tradesmen, so quickly developed a mutual respect.  I sold him my `85 W-15 car...he and his son did the bumper fillers and some paint work on my `84...we traded parts, services  and old car lies.... .and as time passed, our conversations turned more to family, career, health and age...and the sort of things good friends talk about.

One weekend stands out in my memory.... Carl was undegoing chemo and was obviously knocked out by it, both in spirit and body, but he insisted on attending the BCA nationals in Brookfield, WI. I offered my help for the weekend, half suspecting, for good reason, he might not attend after all. Well, attend he did...driving an RV loaded with his 2 dogs and parts, towing a Riviera behind and ready to go!! We spent those few days together, under the shade of his RV, doing what he and I both like to do best...talking Buicks and swapping parts! As the meet came to a close, I looked at him napping in a lawn chair in the heat of the afternoon, obviously exhausted, and thought to myself "Carl, you are one tough SOB!"  I hope I can live the last chapter of my life with that sort of strength and determination.

I spoke with him a handful of weeks ago, just about life in general and his latest project...he had relocated a couple of years ago and was enjoying his newly acquired home, his latest man-cave and especially being surrounded by his family. I`m confident from our conversations that he died a happy man and take comfort knowing that he is reunited with his wonderful wife who he obviously admired, respected and dearly loved.

God`s speed my friend, you are and will be missed!

Tom

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Eric's.64.Superwildcat said:

I met Carl at the ROA meet in St. Charles IL in 2015.  He was a very fine person and I really enjoyed talking to him.  I took this photo of him with his '64 Super Wildcat.

Carl.at.ROA.meet.St.Charles.Illinois.jpg

I can't find at which meet but Carl's 64, pictured, won Best in Class.  He was very proud of the Claret paint for which he tweaked the original formula.  He was more than happy to mail me the new formula for his Claret paint. Totally unselfish with his knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did not know Carl that well, but we had talked about my SCO ’72 GS a couple of times. He was a very knowledgeable and friendly member, that as Jason stated, did not mind passing that knowledge on to others.

He certainly will be missed, and my condolences to his family.

On 2/26/2020 at 3:21 PM, RivNut said:

I can't find at which meet but Carl's 64, pictured, won Best in Class.  He was very proud of the Claret paint for which he tweaked the original formula.  He was more than happy to mail me the new formula for his Claret paint. Totally unselfish with his knowledge.

It was the 2011 Branson meet. Here is the picture that is posted on the ROA Photo Gallery.

First_63-65_JP.thumb.jpg.d8da65c6a6bfe1f4f51e900ffcb3c57d.jpg

I’m pretty sure his “tweaking” involved adding some metal-flake to the formula, gave the car a bit more pop.

A link to the gallery …

Riviera Owners Association … ONLINE PHOTO GALLERY … BRANSON MO 2011

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1