Pre-1939 cars needed for Movie Shoot in MA

Kevin Quirk

My company, based in Northern NJ is a provider of vehicles to the movie and TV industries. We have a request form one of the studios we work with to locate about a dozen or so pre-1939 vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles and boats.) They needn't be perfect. A little patina is actually good as it's a period film. It will star Christian Bale, Margot Robbie, Angelia Jolie and Jamie Fox..

We pay you for every day the car shoots, it's fully insured against any type of damage and they get driven by professional drivers and usually we don't put on much more than  1/2 to 3/4 of a mile when driven. Most times the cars are strictly background cars, meaning that the don't get driven at all.

If you have a vehicle that fits the criteria please contact us for further information

We are also looking for WW1 army vehicles. for the same show.

Call PowerPortal Productions at 973-347-4200 and ask for Kevin or Michele.

If you are trying to make this look believable keep in mind that cars had a very short life expectancy - much shorter than today. In almost any 1930 photograph you will not see anything older than about 1925...maybe 1920 if it's a rural area and poor. If its 1930 anything that was contemporary with WWI was hopelessly obsolete.

• Like 3

I would love to. I just got finished restoring my 1935 Buick sedan.The only problem is that I am in Florida,East central.If anything like this comes up close to the Orlando area please let me know, or if your company wants to ship it there and back.Thanks,Greg.

IMG_20191015_150107_hdr.jpg

Just food for thought.........since less than 10 percent of the population under fifty can drive a stick, and less than one percent under forty, who is going to drive the cars? It’s plainly clear the person asking has no clue as to what is and isn’t appropriate for making a movie  relating to dates and correct vehicles that will historically be correct. As far as authentic WWI trucks, and military appropriate vehicles........they practically don’t exist , never mind in running condition. Trying to find them in Massachusetts is about impossible, having lived there for fifty years, I can only think of one appropriate vehicle that could be used in the “truck” category............the poster needs to explain in much better detail.........first question...........what is the budget for the film.......if it isn’t 30-50 million, then they are shooting it with cell phone camera and it’s a internet or straight to dvd type movie...........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I called to ask the details.

He stated that the filming would take place over 2 or 3 months.

To me, this would be too long to be without the car. No telling what could happen to it in that time period. It takes place west of Boston, I forgot the city.

A friend did have his car in a couple pics and he was present all the time. They even paid for meals and a hotel. It only took a few days. One car was damaged and they wrote out a check that day for the damages.

I am in Southern NJ   ---  the filming is in Massachusetts   ---  they will transport the car from here to there      I know I will get paid but if they damage the car is it really worth it ?????  what happens if it will not start for one reason or another    seems to me the owner would have to be there to take care of any problems that may come up

PLYMOUTH P2 2.jpg

PLYMOUTH pa.JPG

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, Roger Walling said:

I called to ask the details.

He stated that the filming would take place over 2 or 3 months.

To me, this would be too long to be without the car. No telling what could happen to it in that time period. It takes place west of Boston, I forgot the city.

A friend did have his car in a couple pics and he was present all the time. They even paid for meals and a hotel. It only took a few days. One car was damaged and they wrote out a check that day for the damages.

Roger,

Did it seem they wanted vehicles for the entire time ?

If so - I wonder where and how the vehicles would actually be stored ?

If they don’t use your vehicle for filming - it sounds like you don’t get paid.

I know this subject has been covered here in the forums before - but It seems the only way your car won’t be damaged is if you accompany it  to location and stay with it.

Otherwise it is just another movie prop ....

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

16 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

If you are trying to make this look believable keep in mind that cars had a very short life expectancy - much shorter than today. In almost any 1930 photograph you will not see anything older than about 1925...maybe 1920 if it's a rural area and poor. If its 1930 anything that was contemporary with WWI was hopelessly obsolete.

Thanks for letting me know that. I'll certainly pass that along to the studio.

It's the little details in a shoot that can make or break it.

10 hours ago, C Carl said:

Kevin, I think it is very important to let us know the where in MA the cars will need to be. Also, what is the approximate shoot date ?     -      Carl 

Carl, As of this exact time, anticipate shoot sights in and around the Boston area. The shoots should begin around mid-April.

There's been very little information so far as we've not even gotten a script yet. 

I'll be sure to update this thread as information becomees available. 

In the meantime if you could send us pics of your car(s).

That would be great.

You can also email them through our web site at www.p3rents.com

12 hours ago, Randy white said:

I have 2 cars 1929 Studebaker and a 1930 model a we might be interested if the conditions are right . we reside near st louis

Randy, The shoot is in eastern MA. St. Louis may be a bit far.

But we have trucked vehicles from as far away as Georgia for a show on CBS called the Code. 

Lots of military vehicles.

15 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Pre-1939 covers a lot of territory.  You probably don't want a 1908 and a 1938 in the same movie scene.  If it's pre-'39, what is it post- ? 

The film is about WW1 and after up to 1939.

If you could send us pics of your car(s) via here or my email at kevin@p3rents.com

3 hours ago, broker-len said:

I am in Southern NJ   ---  the filming is in Massachusetts   ---  they will transport the car from here to there      I know I will get paid but if they damage the car is it really worth it ?????  what happens if it will not start for one reason or another    seems to me the owner would have to be there to take care of any problems that may come up

PLYMOUTH P2 2.jpg

PLYMOUTH pa.JPG

You are more than welcome to be on set on your shoot days. And expect breakfast and lunch to be handled by the studio. And usually the caterers are very high end.

YOu want to be sure your vehicle is in "acceptable" running condition. We always have people on set prepared to manage minor mechanical issues. They'll have tools, jump boxes, etc.

Yes, we will truck the vehicle to set if need be.During non-shoot days your vehicle will be housed in a safe warehouse. 

I should also mention that as this is a period shoot that the cars need to be in stock condition. We won't want hot rods or modified cars. They need to have the putt putt sound be a correct color for the period.

There are several antique car dealers in the area, and for compensation would be happy to bring you a bunch of cars...........

• Like 3

As much as I’d love my old cars in a movie, I‘m not sure I could. I won’t take it to any garage except mine. Let alone let anyone touch any tool to it. Recently I walked away backwards slowly, staring at it, when I had leave it to get new exhaust installed at a shop. 

I think about RH threaded lugs on the right side of car, LH threads on the left. The starting procedure that we master from closely listening to the engine start. The oil filled air filter. The 6V positive ground system. All the little intricacies about these old cars. If you’ve owned a pre-WW2 car and laid over, and under it for years, baby-ing every little thing, chances are you’re not leaving it anywhere.

Interesting my comment on movie budget did not receive an answer..............

Do you willingly give the keys to your car to people you don’t know?

Do you let people who have never driven an antique car the keys to take it for a spin?

Is your car insured while on set?

The entire post and the idea is a joke.........no answers.........

Having you car in some unknown crappy movie for no compensation is worth the risk?

• Thanks 1

Fair points, Ed.

Let's just pencil you in as a "maybe." 😉  

We are a more focused and savvy group.  Quite rightly concerned about voltage, polarity, shift patterns and those pesky insurance rules.  Not to mention the pyros and special effects guys!

Getting such cars may be slightly easier on the West Coast, but this old can't be easy anywhere.  Although, the Downton Abbey crew seems to have done well on some very old vehicles.

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Interesting my comment on movie budget did not receive an answer..............

Do you willingly give the keys to your car to people you don’t know?

Do you let people who have never driven an antique car the keys to take it for a spin?

Is your car insured while on set?

The entire post and the idea is a joke.........no answers.........

Having you car in some unknown crappy movie for no compensation is worth the risk?

I did attempt to answer you yesterday. But I answered a lot of questions and when I got to yours the forum did not allow any more postings for the day.

Your query about budgets needs a little tuning up. In the future refer to the tier system below.  You'll sound like you know what you're talking about, even if you don't.

There's a saying that I think fits the posting you're writing.

It's better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought of as a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

That said, I've been doing movie cars for better than ten years. I know my way around a set.

I am frequently called on by movie crews to provide demographic consulting for vehicles they may want to use.

I make sure that the car fits a multitude of criteria to the setting. For instance an '85 and '86 Chevy station wagon may look identical but if the scene is 1985 then the car cannot have a CHMSL or a color may not have been available from ''85 to '86.

".....since less than 10 percent of the population under fifty can drive a stick, and less than one percent under forty, who is going to drive the cars?"

I'm curious to know what your source is for this information regarding stick shift capability. I didn't know that census takers asked that question.

"It’s plainly clear the person asking has no clue as to what is and isn’t appropriate for making a movie  relating to dates and correct vehicles that will historically be correct."

Did we go to school together? We must have, otherwise how would you justify making that comment? My background and knowledge of cars is extensive. But note that I did not say I know EVERYTHING. If I don't know, I'll keep my mouth shut and set to work to obtain the knowledge. Then I can speak more intelligently regarding the topic.

"As far as authentic WWI trucks, and military appropriate vehicles........they practically don’t exist , never mind in running condition. Trying to find them in Massachusetts is about impossible, having lived there for fifty years, I can only think of one appropriate vehicle that could be used in the “truck” category...."

Again, look, listen and learn. There are several sources we're working with for these vehicles. I've so far sourced about 15 - 20 pieces of WW! military equipment in Massachusetts. And it all runs.

"........the poster needs to explain in much better detail.........first question...........what is the budget for the film.......if it isn’t 30-50 million, then they are shooting it with cell phone camera and it’s a internet or straight to dvd type movie..........."

If you want to talk budgets follow this link. https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/budgets/all

Now to answer your more recent questions & comments.

"Interesting my comment on movie budget did not receive an answer.............."

Asked and answered above

"Do you willingly give the keys to your car to people you don’t know?"

No. I vet them prior to giving them keys. 

"Do you let people who have never driven an antique car the keys to take it for a spin?"

No. I vet them and then educate them. The people who drives cars in almost any movie are professionals. That doesn't mean that they know every car and it's particulars. Many times we ask the owner to educate the driver about their car.

"Is your car insured while on set?"

Yes, The studios will issue a certificate of insurance against the vehicle. It's insured from the moment we take possession of it for declared value, no deductibles.

"The entire post and the idea is a joke.........no answers........."

This is my business and I assure you I do not take anything jokingly. Not even responses to a post like this.

"Having you car in some unknown crappy movie for no compensation is worth the risk?"

I don't recall saying that there was no compensation for use of a vehicle. We pay the owner on every car we use. Typically we pay for the shoot days in advance. As it's a tier 3 film and these are period correct cars the compensation will be VERY good. When we did a military show "The Code" for CBS we had a multitude of Humvees, five tons and deuce and a half's. Some of the guys vehicles we used were paid in excess of $20k or $30k. Serious money. This production will easily match that.

I noticed JRHaelig  posted that you might be "penciled in for a maybe" for allowing us use of your car(s).

We'll pass on that opportunity.

Contract Value

ULB: less than $1,850,000

Tier 1: $1,850,001 - $5,500,000 Million

Tier 2: $5,500,001 - $9,350,000 Million

Tier 3: $9,350,001 - $13,200,000 Million +

Edited by Kevin Quirk
Updated information (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jerry k said:

I am 60 miles west of Boston and am interested.  Picture of my car [ 1928 Marmon ] is on my profile page.

Very nice car. Is the blue correct for the year? If you could send us some more pics to my email at kevin@p3rents.com that would be appreciated.

We'd need to see some interior shots and a four angle shots.

If you have any questions please post them here so that will answer questions for other owners. 

If you'd like to contact me directly please call me office at 973-347-4200.

Edited by Kevin Quirk (see edit history)

Collins in Stow Mass is the only source for that much WWI or WWII stuff..........I know them and have worked with them .........if you can get access, they are the go to choice. I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to Pre War stuff......as anyone on this site will attest.......That said, with a budget for a movie in that category, people will be more willing to participate. Correct historical WWI stuff is almost non existent,(most of what is in museums is NOT authentic) but many quality close reproduction vehicles can be worked with to get to the proper historical results......I have worked with cars in movies........major productions............and modern technology has greatly improved the way cars are shot........with most cars now being lifted and towed behind a camera/tow rig........so the actors are only acting and not driving the car........I have used these set up on open public roads with no issues. 

My complaint was how you originally posted..........listing more information would have give you much more crediability at the time...and better results for finding cars. Good luck with your shoot......and I hope you get it as accurate as possible with the cars and trucks you find. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Collins in Stow Mass is the only source for that much WWI or WWII stuff..........I know them and have worked with them .........if you can get access, they are the go to choice. I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to Pre War stuff......as anyone on this site will attest.......That said, with a budget for a movie in that category, people will be more willing to participate. Correct historical WWI stuff is almost non existent, but many quality close reproduction vehicles can be worked with to get to the proper historical results......I have worked with cars in movies........major productions............and modern technology has greatly improved the way cars are shot........with most cars now being lifted and towed behind a camera/tow rig........so the actors are only acting and not driving the car........I have used these set up on open public roads with no issues. 

My complaint was how you originally posted..........listing more information would have give you much more crediability at the time...and better results for finding cars. Good luck with your shoot......and I have you get it as accurate as possible with the cars and trucks you find.

What I originally posted was all the information that I am working with at this time. You obviously didn't read the posting completely.

In it I addressed Payment for the shoot days, insurance, damage, professional drivers and typically how far a car may get driven.

You wrote as if none of that was in the post.

I have been in touch with the Colling's Foundation and while they have some equipment that I'm sure the studio will want to use, there is also another gentleman near Hartford who has a few pieces.

I appreciate you coming back and readdressing your position. I hold no grudges. Life's a little short for that.

I will, of course, update the posting as more information becomes available to me. If you're interested in offering any of your cars. Please send me pics and some details.

"My company, based in Northern NJ is a provider of vehicles to the movie and TV industries. We have a request form one of the studios we work with to locate about a dozen or so pre-1939 vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles and boats.) They needn't be perfect. A little patina is actually good as it's a period film. It will star Christian Bale, Margot Robbie, Angelia Jolie and Jamie Fox..

We pay you for every day the car shoots, it's fully insured against any type of damage and they get driven by professional drivers and usually we don't put on much more than  1/2 to 3/4 of a mile when driven. Most times the cars are strictly background cars, meaning that the don't get driven at all.

If you have a vehicle that fits the criteria please contact us for further information

We are also looking for WW1 army vehicles. for the same show."

Kevin...no harm, I was more worried that it was a possible scam than anything else. I also know the guys in the Hartford area with the small museum and all the light armor vehicles. If you need certain vehicle and can't find it, let me know......I know where lots of stuff is sleeping. With compensation, finding a reasonable fleet shouldn't be too difficult............I will send you a PM after lunch.........

Just now, edinmass said:

Kevin...no harm, I was more worried that it was a possible scam than anything else. I also know the guys in the Hartford area with the small museum and all the light armor vehicles. If you need certain vehicle and can't find it, let me know......I know where lots of stuff is sleeping. With compensation, finding a reasonable fleet shouldn't be too difficult............I will send you a PM after lunch.........

Great. Call me if you'd like. Remember, there are two moving parts to this so far. The civilian cars and army vehicles.

The period vehicles will obviously pay well.

Your assistance is welcome.

Kevin, That would be a great idea for a summer vacation away from the Florida heat. If only you guys could shop my car there and deduct the cost from the film's compensation that would be wonderful.I'm in East central Florida about a half a mile off of I 95. Mines a 35 Buick painted in an original green color,original motor,ect. or if you ever need cars for a film shoot in the Orlando area please let me know,Thanks Greg.

IMG_20191015_150144_hdr.jpg

IMG_20191015_145903_hdr (1).jpg

IMG_20191015_150006_hdr.jpg

IMG_20191015_145903_hdr (1).jpg

Yes, your correct. I have an insurance company and get them confused. I have both flown with them and attended events at the car barn. Have not yet seen the new museum.  👍

On 1/29/2020 at 6:54 PM, C Carl said:

I have flown with Collings. Highly recommend doing so.    -    Carl 

C Carl,  Are you interested in allowing PowerPortal Productions to make your car available to the movie shoot in Mass?

If so could you provide me some quarter angel and interior shots, you email address, phone number and where the car is located? You can post them here, PM me or use my email address - kevin@p3rents.com. I will continue to fill in the blanks as the information flows into me.

Thanks

On 1/27/2020 at 5:37 PM, oldcarfudd said:

Pre-1939 covers a lot of territory.  You probably don't want a 1908 and a 1938 in the same movie scene.  If it's pre-'39, what is it post- ? 

Are you interested in allowing PowerPortal Productions to make your car available to the movie shoot in Mass?

If so could you provide me some quarter angel and interior shots, you email address, phone number and where the car is located? You can post them here, PM me or use my email address - kevin@p3rents.com. I will continue to fill in the blanks as the information flows into me.

Thanks