1941 Roadmaster frame off restoration

gtjr

1941 Buick Roadmaster model 71 four door sedan. This vehicle has had a complete body off restoration, has its Senior award, and was judged at 393 out of 400 points making almost flawless.

The restoration used only the best parts including a Jenkins interior. Best yet the actual miles are just over 30000. Probably one of the best 41 Roadmasters available. Priced at $36000, but will entertain reasonable offers. Vehicle is stored in Akron, Ohio. Contact me to make arrangements too see and drive. I also have additional pictures. If you are looking for a top notch restored 41 Roadmaster this one should be on your list.

George Toth

getoth@gmail.com

41-15.thumb.JPG.ae91da21f6e71df90bd24818c0e4acf0.JPG41-9.thumb.JPG.df5d48a6fdeb89c1e92d7179af666da9.JPG

• Like 1

I have to wonder how you know what the score was at 393 out of 400.  Whoever told you, if he became known, would be barred from judging forever, just as Pet Rose was barred from baseball.  You have a deduction right there in the picture since there is no molding on the bottom of the rubber stone shield and I would guess that is times two.

Shown is a nice one and it is sporting a  grille purchased from you, and then re-chromed.

41 Buick Finished 1.JPG

• Like 2

Cannot tell you where it was, but my father and uncle have both told me the same thing. not sure who judged it but I am sure it was at a Buick event. This is one of my fathers favorites, and it has had little use since his passing, so it is time to let someone else enjoy it. As far as the molding , I believe it could be either way is correct. My uncles restoration technician  is very knowledgeable on 40-41 product.  I do not see him and my father, growing up in a Buick dealership, both missing this detail. Not being an expert I cannot say, 

2 hours ago, gtjr said:

Cannot tell you where it was, but my father and uncle have both told me the same thing. not sure who judged it but I am sure it was at a Buick event. This is one of my fathers favorites, and it has had little use since his passing, so it is time to let someone else enjoy it. As far as the molding , I believe it could be either way is correct. My uncles restoration technician  is very knowledgeable on 40-41 product.  I do not see him and my father, growing up in a Buick dealership, both missing this detail. Not being an expert I cannot say, 

Well, I can thank you for that grill that came from your Uncle's garage loft.  The '41s without factory skirts did not have the missing molding and the spears were on the rear fenders instead of the skirts.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

This is a wonderful discussion! Here is a promo photo, probably from the Oregon State Highway Department's tourism bureau, of a 1941 Buick Super or Roadmaster sedan on Laurel Hill east of Portland, Oregon.  (Mt. Hood is in the background and is the reason for the photo.) The car does not have rear fender skirts or the chrome piece under the gravel shields. The license plate is from 1941, so I would assume that the car is original.  (FYI, I've shown this photo on previous threads.) Photo source: Oregon State Archives.

18367d7005402801a90b1d9cb1aba4ca.jpg

Edited by BuickBob49 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Probably correct both ways. It was not unusual for GM to offer dealer installed options. Fender skirt kits would most likely be found in the accessories section, if the catalog separated them as they did in the 60’s. The skirts installed on the line were available in the parts book, probably group 12, if it was setup like the 60’s parts books. They probably were not drilled for the molding, as then Buick would need two part numbers. So you could have a plain skirt, or could have the replacement skirt drilled to accept the molding. It could very well be there are a number of combinations that are correct as far as judging is concerned. I am much more knowledgeable on the 60’s, but I believe Buick offered a number of combinations through the parts department. 

Just like a 401 with dual quads, it could be had as a dealer installed option, 2x4 intakes in the trunk of the vehicle from the factory never happened. The 455 Stage 2 motor used the Edelbrock B4B intake, but to be correct you would have to have a B4B that was cast for Buick that had stage 2 cast were the Edelbrock B4B was. I have only seen one of these on the Besnik GS Stage 2 as i remember. Dealer installed options kind of muddy the water, that is why I would bet with or without the molding is period correct.

2 hours ago, gtjr said:

Probably correct both ways. It was not unusual for GM to offer dealer installed options. Fender skirt kits would most likely be found in the accessories section, if the catalog separated them as they did in the 60’s. The skirts installed on the line were available in the parts book, probably group 12, if it was setup like the 60’s parts books. They probably were not drilled for the molding, as then Buick would need two part numbers. So you could have a plain skirt, or could have the replacement skirt drilled to accept the molding. It could very well be there are a number of combinations that are correct as far as judging is concerned. I am much more knowledgeable on the 60’s, but I believe Buick offered a number of combinations through the parts department. 

Just like a 401 with dual quads, it could be had as a dealer installed option, 2x4 intakes in the trunk of the vehicle from the factory never happened. The 455 Stage 2 motor used the Edelbrock B4B intake, but to be correct you would have to have a B4B that was cast for Buick that had stage 2 cast were the Edelbrock B4B was. I have only seen one of these on the Besnik GS Stage 2 as i remember. Dealer installed options kind of muddy the water, that is why I would bet with or without the molding is period correct.

Disagree.  Dealers did make delivery changes, like installing skirts on a car that didn't come from the factory with them.  They had two rear fenders in the parts book in '41, one drilled for the rocker panel moldings and one not drilled for cars without skirts, but those were drilled for the spear on the back part of the rear fender.  In AACA you can't have it both ways; one way or the other.  The rocker moldings are available, reproduction, in California and they "ain't" cheap.  As I recall it was about $800 for the pair of 4-5" moldings.  I have parts books from 1939, 1941, 1947, 1953, 1960, and 1981.  All of them list parts that were still available from the factory at the time of publication, but the oldest ones only go back to 1928.

that is what I said, the dealer installed accessories, most at that time were from the factory and available in a kit to install the factory style item. if they were not offered as a kit it would not take a rocket scientist to order the necessary pieces from Buick Motor Division parts depot. i think you hit it as some were installed with out the chrome trim in the center of the fender skirt.   

as far as why they would hide the points makes no sense, I seem to remember they told you the points and how many were knocked off for incorrect items, like rubber valve stem caps on 41;s so the owner could improve the accuracy of his vehicle restoration.. 

• Like 2

In the AACA judging, the points are not disclosed. If you do not receive the award you were going for, you can request the judging form and it would only list the areas of deductions, so no points are shown on the form.

The CCCA and BCA are different in this aspect as the points are stated.

hope this helps.

Steve

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 1:29 PM, gtjr said:

1941 Buick Roadmaster model 71 four door sedan. This vehicle has had a complete body off restoration, has its Senior award, and was judged at 393 out of 400 points making almost flawless.

The restoration used only the best parts including a Jenkins interior. Best yet the actual miles are just over 30000. Probably one of the best 41 Roadmasters available. Priced at $36000, but will entertain reasonable offers. Vehicle is stored in Akron, Ohio. Contact me to make arrangements too see and drive. I also have additional pictures. If you are looking for a top notch restored 41 Roadmaster this one should be on your list.

George Toth

getoth@gmail.com

41-15.thumb.JPG.ae91da21f6e71df90bd24818c0e4acf0.JPG41-9.thumb.JPG.df5d48a6fdeb89c1e92d7179af666da9.JPG

George, you're a man of great patience with a wonderful automobile. I hope you, or whoever is lucky enough to buy this car, consider bringing to the BCA Nationals next year in Charlotte, as 1941 and 1991 are the featured years. "Best Buick Yet!" sho 'nough : )

Anderson

28 minutes ago, 41Roadmaster said:

George, you're a man of great patience with a wonderful automobile. I hope you, or whoever is lucky enough to buy this car, consider bringing to the BCA Nationals next year in Charlotte, as 1941 and 1991 are the featured years. "Best Buick Yet!" sho 'nough : )

Anderson

Better yet, buy it and pick it up here in Cleveland in July at the BCA National Meet!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...