Nice picture of a Borden's milk truck since another main Brand is bankrupt

Mark Gregory

Borden's milk truck in 1928. The amount of dairy that Americans consume has plunged in recent years

Borden was founded in 1857 by Gail Borden, Jr. and was the first company to develop a patent for the process of condensing milk, as well as the first to use glass milk bottles.

image.png.2a5357d5b47b9edb2b2abfb780065a6b.png

I would like to thank Tinindian below for all his knowledge on this Truck.

Actually it is an "AC"  with a "C" cab.

The heavy-duty AC, with its well-known tapered hood, was the truck which started the bulldog theme. A 377 cu in (6.2 L) 4 cylinder gasoline engine 4X2 with chain drive, it was strong, reliable, and worked well in rough terrain. Introduced in 1916, there was a great demand because of World War I, over 6000 3 12-, 5 12-, and 7 12-ton trucks were built for the UK and US military. There were also commercial sales from 1916; the AC was well suited for logging and construction work. A larger version, the AP, built between 1926 and 1938, was an off-road haul truck used on Boulder Dam and other large projects. 40,299 ACs had been built when production ended in 1939.

image.png.f5907fa5280fccb4aafd97638107181c.png

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Very ironic that you should post this today, as I just read in the newspaper this morning, that Borden Dairy Co. has filed for bankruptcy. The article went on to say that milk consumption has dropped by 40% since 1975. 

Agree, I used to drink a gallon every week and a quart of chocolate at pit stops. Now it is more like a 1/2 gal of 2% a week. Do like white coffee.

Interesting how in Florida the price of a gallon of gasoline has followed the price of a gallon of milk. First noticed when both were under $1.

5 hours ago, Mark Gregory said:

The amount of dairy that Americans consume has plunged in recent years

Wonder why that is? The milk consumption of the baby boom has been over for decades, and the health concerns about high fat foods have been around for decades, so I wonder why the decline is recent? My twins are 17, so they've phased out of being heavy milk drinkers within the last couple of years, but there are a lot of toddlers and elementary schoolers in our neighborhood.

46 minutes ago, intimeold said:

Ok, What about the truck?

Make, Model, Year?

My guess:

Mack "BullDog" "C" cab

and note the solid rubber tires

I recall seeing these still on the streets of downtown Manhattan, NY in the mid/late 1940s and even into the 1950s

image.jpeg.3d737e0b1f552ed83701b5e4c1d2c3f5.jpeg

image.jpeg.82f499634a3f0460647fa911e3374f74.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Mack "BullDog" "C" cab

Actually it is an "AC"  with a "C" cab.

The heavy-duty AC, with its well-known tapered hood, was the truck which started the bulldog theme. A 377 cu in (6.2 L) 4 cylinder gasoline engine 4X2 with chain drive, it was strong, reliable, and worked well in rough terrain. Introduced in 1916, there was a great demand because of World War I, over 6000 3 12-, 5 12-, and 7 12-ton trucks were built for the UK and US military. There were also commercial sales from 1916; the AC was well suited for logging and construction work. A larger version, the AP, built between 1926 and 1938, was an off-road haul truck used on Boulder Dam and other large projects. 40,299 ACs had been built when production ended in 1939.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA819CA819&q=ac+mack+truck&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj9o_W0qvLmAhVqJzQIHX-ICl8QsAR6BAgEEAE&biw=1366&bih=625

The last time I saw an AC working was in 1974.  House movers had a two storey up on the beams and were ready to move out.  The big new truck wouldn't start. their other big rigs were busy and their other  trucks were too small.  The founder of the company went home and brought out his old AC that had sat in his yard for years.  The old girl completed the job just as she had done for decades.

We have written about Floyd Clymer and the errors in his books.  Trying to tie down details about Mack Trucks and their "Bull Dog" or "Bulldog" is confusing.  In different places on their Historical site and other web sites they contradict one another.  It seems that if the truck in the picture is a 1920 or earlier it is officially an AC even though it's common military name was "Bulldog".

1921 -The company adopted the Bulldog as its corporate symbol. The first usage of the Bulldog as a symbol was on a sheet metal plate riveted to each side of the cab. It was first drawn on June 3, 1921 and was released, printed, and specified for the AB chain drive (CD) and dual reduction (DR) carrier drive trucks. The plate shows the Bulldog as two words, i.e., a bull dog chewing up a book entitled "Hauling Costs," "Mack" on his collar, and International Motor Co. of New York. This plate was used much later on M model off-highway trucks, except that the plate then showed Mack Trucks, Inc., Allentown, PA.

By 1932, a bored Alfred F. Masury, Mack’s chief engineer, created the ornament. A medical issue had sidelined Masury, leaving him looking for something to do with his hands. The answer: a carved bulldog.

“That figure ultimately became the model for the first patent on the infamous Mack bulldog radiator cap ornament.” Maney said.

That same year, the carved bulldog figure appeared on the front of the Mack AB, a lighter-duty version of the AC. It was eventually mounted on the AC during its final year of production in 1938.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

There has been a big push to get away from anything animal related. My family owned and operated a federal inspected slaughter house here in New England. I can still remember the doctors reports coming out that too much red meat was detrimental to health back in the late seventies. Those reports, on their own, had a huge effect on the beef industry of which it’s never fully recovered even after reports in the nineties came out saying the first reports should have said “high fat content red meat” and that lean red meat is actually a good source of protein. It was too late though as the damage had been done. Today it’s the animal rights people and the vegans pushing the rhetoric of less dairy. Vegans push the the plant based milks like soy and almond with the animal rights people pushing how terrible farmers are to cows and how inhumane they cows live. Of course, all facts are exploited for effect and not really facts at all. Other reasons are chemicals taking the place of dairy.or even meat by combining plant based ingredients with the chemicals withthe results being fake products like powdered ice cream concentrates to Burger Kings new vegan beef patty. Thesuper dairy farm along with new preservatives have killed off the smaller dairies by allowing the super farms to exist in places like CA where the weather is moderate all year long, labor is cheap, often with illegals having easy access to the work with state supported asylum laws, and nationwide delivery possible due to chemical preservation. Most people don’t realize milk is not refrigerated in Europe but processed in a foil carton with formaldehyde layered on the top after the carton is filled. This process can preserve the milk for months, warm and on the shelf. Makes you really want to have a glass doesn’t it??  Soon we’ll all be dying even faster with all this  “healthily” new way of plant based living the masses are pushing us to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chistech said:

There has been a big push to get away from anything animal related. My family owned and operated a federal inspected slaughter house here in New England. I can still remember the doctors reports coming out that too much red meat was detrimental to health back in the late seventies. Those reports, on their own, had a huge effect on the beef industry of which it’s never fully recovered even after reports in the nineties came out saying the first reports should have said “high fat content red meat” and that lean red meat is actually a good source of protein. It was too late though as the damage had been done. Today it’s the animal rights people and the vegans pushing the rhetoric of less dairy. Vegans push the the plant based milks like soy and almond with the animal rights people pushing how terrible farmers are to cows and how inhumane they cows live. Of course, all facts are exploited for effect and not really facts at all. Other reasons are chemicals taking the place of dairy.or even meat by combining plant based ingredients with the chemicals withthe results being fake products like powdered ice cream concentrates to Burger Kings new vegan beef patty. Thesuper dairy farm along with new preservatives have killed off the smaller dairies by allowing the super farms to exist in places like CA where the weather is moderate all year long, labor is cheap, often with illegals having easy access to the work with state supported asylum laws, and nationwide delivery possible due to chemical preservation. Most people don’t realize milk is not refrigerated in Europe but processed in a foil carton with formaldehyde layered on the top after the carton is filled. This process can preserve the milk for months, warm and on the shelf. Makes you really want to have a glass doesn’t it??  Soon we’ll all be dying even faster with all this  “healthily” new way of plant based living the masses are pushing us to.

The people sometimes referred to as "the greatest generation" (people born in the 1920's)  largely ignored many of the warnings that started coming out in the late 1960's claiming that beef, dairy and eggs were bad for you, yet they (as a group) have lived longer than any previous generation. Statistically, my generation - the boomers - aren't living as long as the ww2 generation, in part because of self-destructive or licentious lifestyles. And it will be worse for many younger folks, some demographers say.

It probably all started with the cigarette scare in the '60's , which was a legitimate and scientifically proven health concern. Researchers and scientists wanting to make a name for themselves tried to characterize beef and dairy as a kind of dietary poison in the same vein as tobacco. Tried to do it with alcohol and fish and chocolate and a lot of other things, too. Then counter-evidence to those claims was finally presented.

The real problem isn't likely the food we eat, but how much of it we eat. Lack of moderation is where the trouble lies. Along with genetics. ( I asked my doctor, "what's the best way to keep your heart healthy?" and he said, "choose your parents very carefully." )

I just visited some friends' parents who are ranchers in the Dakotas. They're having a real tough time of it, and it's mostly the changing market. Apparently fake beef is having a negative impact on their income. Out of curiosity, I tried one of those fake Whoppers from Burger King...it tasted awful. But the trendy people of the world are convinced that cattle and cars will make the human species go extinct within a few generations, so Burger King is offering an awful food alternative. The problem is, the more fake scares that come along, the more people will be inclined to ignore an actual legitimate scare.  My heart goes out to the dairy industry.

• Like 3