Pierce limousine and Packard LeBaron prewar cars in postwar era

Walt G

2 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Another Pierce Arrow...

2052034005_PierceArrow2.thumb.jpg.62134fd64c7043a86150dfd4f9e47fdf.jpg

It runs and drives well, I was talking to the owner this afternoon.

Here it is on tour a few years ago.....

47C09BF2-DDDA-456C-BCBE-15BED055A6F6.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1910 Pope Hartford - picture taken in 1910. Although its a black & white photo, the car is a deep maroon color and was completely unrestored. I only know this because I've seen it - it belonged to a gentleman in RI back in the 70s and it was at the first antique car show I attended (with Arthur Mellor in the Packard Waterhouse shown earlier).

736805495_1910PopeHartford.thumb.jpg.6155d6f538cb1987817767039a6a8c7d.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

To stay on the Rolls theme.   1957 in Ohio.

RollsMeet1957-3.jpg

This RR PI Tilbury was owned at the time by Cincinnatian Al Fisk and is now owned by AACA forum member "Motoringicons" - it is an upgraded original car and other than engine work, maintenance, and tires it probably has had little change to it from when this photo was taken.  

The 25/30 next to that was owned by Herb Krombholz a local Cincinnati Jeweler and the car was sold in late 90's to an employee and eventually I believe it made it's way back to England.  Shawn Miller and I recently sold their 1925 RR PI Mulliner Touring upon Herb & Mary's death about three years ago. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

More from the same batch in 1957.

RollsMeet1957-4.jpg

The 1931 Cadillac V-12 Convertible Sedan (by the sign) was also owned by Al Fisk, then bought by the Perin's  and was sold perhaps 10 years ago (it was a dark red with black fenders and redish/orange wheels with stainless spokes).  The 1929 Lincoln (three in from the right) is a leather topped "top Hat' Limousine and was owned by Tom Peuhl, a former Cincinnati Reds baseball player - last time I saw it was perhaps 12 years ago and it was a "spectacular" original condition totally untouched all be it with ancient truck tires - black with alligatored red paint on the brake drums (interestingly being a black car and having factory tan canvas sidemount tire covers)  - it originally was a City of Cincinnati Mayor's vehicle - I lost track of it and do not know where it went after Tom & Betty's death (use to see them once a month at local British car club activities - they also had a Type 57C Bugatti Gangloff bodied Convertible Victoria that occasionally made it out to Cincinnati/Ault Park Concours). The 1938 Cadillac 75 Series Cabriolet stayed around town until the 80's - it had a tank engine installed and still ran just as bad as it did before that - doubt it ever finished an AACA tour no matter how hard they tried. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

Same Paint as the as the 1950s picture?

Yes....same paint.......long term northern barn storage .......

• Like 1

Al, thank you my good friend, and thank you to all who looked at this post and also were able to contribute! I am truly amazed at the response , and this is after 50+ years of my own contributions to club and commercial publications. This post has been mainly photographs about classic luxury  cars of the pre war era and so we don't over load the one post I most likely will start up another similar post fairly soon to include both cars and trucks of the same era (but they would not have to be classic cars like we have here). This will happen but I will need to juggle my time to keep up with my contributions to the print publications that I help to promote motoring heritage and history through . I have a lot of period images that need to be shared with all of you, hope it continues to inspire you to take the time to search your own collections and generously share what you may have in your collection with us as well. Thanks again everyone this is what "old cars" has always been about to me. Just think, if it weren't for our interest in "used cars" ( they are really and that is a totally accurate description) none of us would ever really get to know each other for any reason. Our friends become our real family and the many smiles we have had are because of them and these "used cars".😏

Walt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everyone loves a parade...........

Lots of great details..........dual spot lights and wind wings......

Single Piolet Ray..........

Fantastic front plate frame/bracket.....

Side mount covers......White walls.......

Rear windshield folded down.........

White/tan top boot with dark leather piping........

70AA4570-CF79-4B83-9CEE-126B34173580.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Ed, the photo was taken during the era the car was new or nearly new as well. Personally I would not have the pilot ray light ( I like the single ones but the light looks to early for a car with skirted fenders) remove the spot lights ( I don't usually like spotlights at all on anything except on occasion one spotlight on the drivers windshield post a 1940s era car) the location and license plate frame well.......................I do like metal tire covers painted to match the body color, it lessens the bulls eye that the sphere shape of the tire adds to the side of the car. I do like white wall tires as well on larger cars of the 1927-42 era. All personal preference and anything I stated I like would all depend upon the color the car was painted. Solid dark colors on huge sedans of the 1935-42 era with black wall tires make the car look like a mortuary special.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Walt......I agree......new or nearly. Hard to tell. Just a great car with clear details that I found interesting. Unfortunately many of the photos given to me over the years can’t be shared so this one was available to me. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Everyone loves a parade...........

Lots of great details..........dual spot lights and wind wings......

Single Piolet Ray..........

Fantastic front plate frame/bracket.....

Side mount covers......White walls.......

Rear windshield folded down.........

White/tan top boot with dark leather piping........

70AA4570-CF79-4B83-9CEE-126B34173580.jpeg

Also sports Spotlamps, Goddess of Speed, and Bumper Guards.  And, I am not sure if accessory or standard, but it has Wheel Trim Rings too. 

The only accessories this 1934  is really not sporting accessory wise are a Luggage Trunk and a set of Sidemount Spare Tire Mirrors.  I also assume they had the option of Chrome Wheel Hubs and Spokes (painted rims) that was also offered as an option for 1935. 

Sidenote:  Via double chrome edged running board chrome trim - this appears to be a Super Eight with upgraded Twelve style painted grill shell/chrome louvers and bumpers.

• Like 1

The Packard picture above looks like a mid-1960's vintage parade. Judging from the semi-casual dress and lack of hats on the spectators, a 25 to 30 year old car at the time.

About 10 years ago I started paying attention to the dress at vintage car events. It is quite a transition from the 1950's to the 1980's. The earlier picture from the 1970's with the man in the Polo shirt was quite noticeable when you start paying attention.

Through the '50's there are a lot of business casual types. Then, in the late '70's, it gets progressively casual. And up to today where that background is almost comical when the 70 year olds are strolling about.

It's just a cultural aspect, connected to many other facets of the hobby. Interesting or entertaining depending on one's attitude. I have an old stack of The Way of the Zephyr where the Lincoln owners all look like they just came from church... well, not in this century, the 1980's.

Alwayd thought about writing a book on the history of the hobby.

Bernie

Bernie - Write that book!!! But do it while you are relaxed sitting in the back seat of your great 1960 Buick hardtop! Doing so will put you back in time to 1960 . When I do my research and writing it has to be written in long hand on a legal pad because it slows me down and lets me think about what I just wrote - I just can't sit at a computer and write a story, but can at my 1950 Underwood manual typewriter my buddy Tim in Vt. gave to me. I like the clickity clack of the keys striking the paper - yes I am a dinosaur.

VERY interesting photograph of the Simplex - Crane ( Austin Clark used to call them "Simplex , Crane model 5" - by the way Austin liked Simplex cars so much he actually owned the company , bought the rights to manufacture the cars etc in the early 1950s) . The design/shape of the radiator shell is unique as the normal factory ones were rounded off at the top edges. Body looks very much like those  fitted to Locomobiles of that era . The series 11 Franklin parked next to it is interesting as well. There used to be a car from New England ( perhaps Rhode Island) that for many years attended the Franklin Club's annual "trek" every year about 25- 35 years ago .

6 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The Packard picture above looks like a mid-1960's vintage parade. Judging from the semi-casual dress and lack of hats on the spectators, a 25 to 30 year old car at the time.

About 10 years ago I started paying attention to the dress at vintage car events. It is quite a transition from the 1950's to the 1980's. The earlier picture from the 1970's with the man in the Polo shirt was quite noticeable when you start paying attention.

Through the '50's there are a lot of business casual types. Then, in the late '70's, it gets progressively casual. And up to today where that background is almost comical when the 70 year olds are strolling about.

It's just a cultural aspect, connected to many other facets of the hobby. Interesting or entertaining depending on one's attitude. I have an old stack of The Way of the Zephyr where the Lincoln owners all look like they just came from church... well, not in this century, the 1980's.

Bernie

Maybe, although all the cars on the street perpendicular to the parade road seem to be everyday cars of roughtl the same vintage as the '34 Packard --  two sedans and a delivery truck all in blackwalls.  And I see a lot of ties, and hats seem to be light-colored fedoras and caps. If I had to guess,  I would probably guess the picture is from the mid 1930s, too.  But just a guess!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

VERY interesting photograph of the Simplex - Crane

My great uncle Sam Efford worked for Simplex as a machinist before he went to Chrysler where he was instrumental in production of the Hotchkiss drive on the new Plymouth car.

He told me the Simplex company charged their machinist $50 if they caused a flywheel to be scrapped. The second one was no charge, no job.

On that Packard picture above, it looks like an antique car parade making a left hand turn. It's later, the dignitaries in the back seat are too casual, 1960's probably not earlier.

On that history book, has to be typed. I had a handwriting expert evaluated my writing, shook their head and said I was overconfident.

When I was in High School my friend John Zangari heard about a Franklin touring car in our neighborhood...supposedly in a barn very close to where I lived. We went to the house and sure enough, there was a car. It had belonged to a well known local man, Dr. Marshall. His daughter still lived in the house. She took us out to the barn to look at it. This was not a barn as in "barn find"... the doors and windows were tight, the room was swept clean. There was no evidence of rodent damage etc. As a storage area it had been carefully prepared and maintained. In the center was a Franklin tourer up on blocks... light brown in color with, I think dark brown or black fenders. It looked as if it had just been parked. There was a duster draped over the seat and a color brochure from the Franklin dealership, with the car circled, was in the driver's side door compartment. This was about 1970 and the car had been there since the beginning of WWII. It wasn't for sale...in a few weeks it was being shipped to her brother. I've oven wondered what happened to it and hope it hasn't been "restorated".

Bernie , hey  perhaps we scribble and scrawl?  Maybe it is a Buick owners trait?  or perhaps if the Buick you own has the year that ends in 0 - yours a 1960 mine a 1940? My favorite writing instrument is a fountain pen with a nib that you fill from a bottle. Yes, once again , I am indeed a dinosaur.

Edited by Walt G
typo error (see edit history)

13 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Bernie

I bet this 1934 Packard was a year old at most when it was photographed (aka it is a virtually new car w/ photo being from 1934 to 1935). And, with styles of cars rapidly changing if 1935, I would guess is important enough to photograph that they would have sought a new 1935.  Could be just the angle, though looks a little short on front tire tread. 

1935 Packard Twelve, picture taken in 1951.   I am very blessed to have this car in my garage.   I've shared this photo before here, but seems to fit this thread, too. :)

packardin1951.thumb.jpg.283ba28a1d3bd578e69facd6f160cd4c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1