Questionable Member and....

Steve Moskowitz

The problem is persistent people "registering" with the intent to post spam.

This issue is not unique to the AACA forums, its software, or host. It happens everywhere.  

I'll discuss this latest spam push with the host/software company on monday and see if I cant find a solution that works to keep them at bay better.  from Peter gariepy, our Webmaster.

Also, folks the hello there post was deleted Sunday morning and member banned but apparently  some people have not refreshed their browser and are still seeing it. 

To ensure you see the latest version of a site you need to clear the cache memory. This is done by doing a force refresh by pressing both control and F5 buttons simultaneously on your keyboard (depending on your browser). Most times a simple force cache refresh won't work and you need to clear the cache by hand. 

Steve, I am a moderator on the GARAGE JOURNAL web forum, and I can tell you that we face a LOT of spammers there. Some of our mods are more proficient than others, and they can track the source of a spam message to the original IP address, and thus block that IP address (which often sends dozens of spam messages per day). This helps a little. But the real solution for GJ is to have several volunteer mods, and we alert our regular members to PLEASE report questionable messages to the mods. More eyes are very helpful. 

Good luck, and keep up the good fight. 

I replied to the email in question and I was skeptical at first. Anyway, we met for dinner last night, and as it turns out, Stephanie is a nice young woman who just inherited a brass era car collection from her great grandfather, and wanted some help with some of the cars. We hit it off, and now she's paying for me to spend the winter in Bermuda, where the collection is housed. So I'm packing up my wrenches and sunscreen.

Have a nice winter, gentlemen...

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, lump said:

I can't imagine there being many AACA members in Russia, but I'll bet there are quite a few in Germany. Such a shame, that a few ruin things for the rest. 

Yeah, too bad, but the forum was being overrun. Hopefully the long term solution will be something better than a countrywide ban. We have had legitimate postings from Russia in the past, as well as many from Germany.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WPVT said:

I replied to the email in question and I was skeptical at first. Anyway, we met for dinner last night, and as it turns out, Stephanie is a nice young woman who just inherited a brass era car collection from her great grandfather, and wanted some help with some of the cars. We hit it off, and now she's paying for me to spend the winter in Bermuda, where the collection is housed. So I'm packing up my wrenches and sunscreen.

One night a week I have coffee at Tim Horton's with a friend who is a Nigerian Prince. He'll get a kick out of that one.

Bernie

17 hours ago, WPVT said:

LOL. After that last hurricane, life in Bermuda might not be all that much fun just now. And a pity that the car collection was there.... Everyone be warned about Locomobiles and early Pierce Arrows coming on the market soon, without the buyer being aware of flood damage!! 🙃

Edited by lump (see edit history)