Show us your Hupp

Simon Anderson

Very nice!  Most people have seen a picture of my 1910, it's serial number 58xx (I just don't have the number in front of me, not trying to keep it a secret!). I had a sample of original paint, it's a Poppy Red, although my son calls it orange! (photos credit Marty Roth!)

Marty front picture Hupp.jpg

Marty rear picture Hupp.jpg

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not a  Model 20, but a  1936 Hupmobile Model  N.  1 of  21 produced in  1936   I  waited 2  years to  have  this  bridge open back up. My  Hupp  was the  first  car to  cross the  bridge even  before  it  was  officially open.

100_0368.JPG

100_0370.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 1911 has been apart since 1972, spent most of the time since in a storage building, took two years to finally get it home. Number 10363 needs the new axles installed in the rear, and could be together by Hershey. Only thing missing are the tall headlamp brackets. Bob 

DSCF2601.JPG

DSCF2600.JPG

• Like 3

Many AACA forum readers have seen my 1923 Model R-12 touring. My parents bought it in 1962, when I was between 2nd and 3rd grade. They had it 16 years, until their untimely death in an auto accident. Since then I've owned it for 41 years, for a total of 57 years in our family. It even lead the little parade from the church to the reception hall when my wife and I were married in 1974. 

IMG_6006.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yellow 23 R is 50% mine and 50% a buddies -  we bought it just after his wife died and I was still working on my 24 R. Parked next to it is  a 22 R that Duncan Hudson owned at the time photo was taken. The Green wreck is what's left of a 26 A coupe - scrounging for parts as a future project - as far as can be determined there is only this one and a restored one located in Tasmania surviving in Australia (love to hear of another). The Blue / Silver R parked next to the Chev is my 24 that was mid way thru its restoration when the yellow car was obtained. The Red R is a 23 that was obtained for spares but is turning into a restoration as I have A LOT of R parts. The rusted wreck is a 23/4 that is now completely stripped down to the last rivet and may possibly turn into another project (as if I don't have enough). Add into the mix 6 non Hupp vehicles either going or being worked on or waiting in the wings and I need to live at least another 100 years!

1 021.jpg

IMG_20180722_172243 copy.gif

Pic_0522_007.jpg

IMG_1346.JPG

scrap metal (2).JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2019 at 7:46 AM, Steven Ford said:

Yellow 23 R is 50% mine and 50% a buddies -  we bought it just after his wife died and I was still working on my 24 R. Parked next to it is  a 22 R that Duncan Hudson owned at the time photo was taken. The Green wreck is what's left of a 26 A coupe - scrounging for parts as a future project - as far as can be determined there is only this one and a restored one located in Tasmania surviving in Australia (love to hear of another). The Blue / Silver R parked next to the Chev is my 24 that was mid way thru its restoration when the yellow car was obtained. The Red R is a 23 that was obtained for spares but is turning into a restoration as I have A LOT of R parts. The rusted wreck is a 23/4 that is now completely stripped down to the last rivet and may possibly turn into another project (as if I don't have enough). Add into the mix 6 non Hupp vehicles either going or being worked on or waiting in the wings and I need to live at least another 100 years!

Steven, I admire your fleet of Model R Hupmobiles, and I'll bet that coupe-turned-pickup will be lots of fun someday. 

I am struggling right now between the notion of trying to solve my fuel starvation problems with a different electric fuel pump & pressure regulator, or by acquiring the factory original style Stewart vacuum tank. Since I don't have an actual vacuum tank, I have been shopping for a used unit on eBay and elsewhere. But I see that there are several different sizes & styles. So here is my question: Do most (or all) of your Model R Hupps have the same size/style vacuum tanks? And if so, could I beg you for some dimensions and some photos? If I'm going to buy one and rebuild it for use on my 1923 R-12, I might as well start out with the "correct" one. 

Thanks in advance. 

On 7/29/2019 at 2:05 AM, Ben Perfitt said:

“Never seen another with the Breeze Strainer”, and, “I think they are hard to find”...

WOW.

I had to go back to, let’s see, 1911 to even find reference to one. (Is the carb a Maximus?)

No  the correct  Breeze  H3  for the car .

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2019 at 9:33 AM, trimacar said:

Just a comment on vacuum tanks.

They are really not admired, as a rule, because few take the time to rebuild them correctly.

I won't take credit, my good friend Rob B. Got my '27 Dodge cabriolet back on the road.

The vacuum tank can be dry, and I can turn the engine over six or eight times, wait a few seconds for Mr. Gravity to get fuel from vacuum tank reservoir to carb, and it starts right up.

Go back in time, and your car dealer, selling you the newest Model on his showroom, says, Oh, by the way, if you don't drive your car for two days, you'll have to disassemble the top of your vacuum tank and add gas.  Seriously, didn't happen.

The systems were designed to deliver gas, period.  Make the original work correctly, and you'll be as happy as the new buyer back when....

I agree  David  100%  its  my pet peeve ! So many times I have been told that the original set up  on my vintage vehicles is no good and  needs to be upgraded . I've been  told  this for   just about  every  system you could think  of on a vintage car  Invariably the person  giving this information has a vehicle that has not been restored properly or is relying on  someones opinion  whose vehicle is also not  restored correctly .  A case in point  this afternoon I took my 34 Ford  to run some errands . Its winter here and today is wet and cold  . I was travelling   at the end of  a stream of modern traffic  at 30mph on a wet road . The distance  between cars  was about the same  . A car two in front of  me stopped  suddenly and we all  applied our  brakes vigorously at about the same time . The car in front  of me  hit  the stopped car I stopped well short of him  He had modern  Hydraulic ABS brakes  I have   completely stock standard mechanical rod brakes.. However my brakes  have been rebuilt correctly with NOS parts NOS linings  which are centred correctly.  The Drums   are perfectly round and well within tolerance for wear All the clevis are good with no slop  The cross shaft is correctly positioned .  The rods are the correct length. As well everything is set up correctly  and well lubricated . I would love a dollar for every time I have been told  that rod brakes are useless  and  you need hydraulics  -mine  aren't !

I think we are conditioned to think that  we are different or perhaps superior  to our  ancestors . As you say  David when Mr and Mrs Citizen  forked out their hard earned depression  cash for  their new Ford in 1934  they expected it to stop  and stop well . If it  didn't they would be banging on the  dealers door  just as I would  if my  new Lexus didn't  do what it was supposed to . 

I do lots of miles in my cars and shamefully admit  I brought into  the upgrade  myth  and  changed  (or accepted changes by previous owners ) from  original  in my early days of  vintage car ownership. However over time I have reversed all the changes I made  and with good  quality NOS  parts  my cars perform better and are  more reliable  than  with any of the "upgrades".

Edited by 1910Hupp (see edit history)

No Its not the correct one -but very close   You can see in my photos  that the  air valve  housing is different . I'd always  been told that the correct carb was a Breeze H3 but your carb is definitely different to  the Breeze Carb on mine and  other originals I have seen  . Who knows maybe  Hup started with  your carb and it morphed  into my model with a bigger (at  least looking) air valve  There  are no numbers on mine. I will try and get some photos for you of what  I and Stan Howe (the guru of brass carbs) believe is the correct carb   -Karl 

Edited by 1910Hupp (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

G,day Listers. Simon did your 20 come out of Canberra ? The numbers that you quote don't make sense to me. can I ask if your car has a round front axle and a cone clutch. if so its a model A of 09 if not may be a mod B of 1909. Some years ago John Burke and Edgar Bowen compiled a list of all of the Hup 20 that they could find in Australia. Edgar contacted every owner that responded and updated JBs list. However upon EBs demise the list appears lost Don't forget the national Hup rally next year in Wagga Wagga. Details in our "REGISTER"  By the way Edgar could find no real 09 model A in Australia and only doubtful 09 model B.   Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:44 PM, Max BURKE said:

G,day Listers. Simon did your 20 come out of Canberra ? The numbers that you quote don't make sense to me. can I ask if your car has a round front axle and a cone clutch. if so its a model A of 09 if not may be a mod B of 1909. Some years ago John Burke and Edgar Bowen compiled a list of all of the Hup 20 that they could find in Australia. Edgar contacted every owner that responded and updated JBs list. However upon EBs demise the list appears lost Don't forget the national Hup rally next year in Wagga Wagga. Details in our "REGISTER"  By the way Edgar could find no real 09 model A in Australia and only doubtful 09 model B.   Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia.

Hi Max, I sent you a message. Thanks Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/27/2019 at 9:46 PM, Steven Ford said:

1 021.jpg

IMG_20180722_172243 copy.gif

Pic_0522_007.jpg

IMG_1346.JPG

scrap metal (2).JPG

Hi Steve, my names Steve Imlach & my family owns the 1926 A Hupp coupe in Tas. If you can please contact me via this site or via Email

20160926_112956.jpeg

Here is  a 1925 3 dr.  sedan  that  my good  friend  Dale owned. He  had  me  looking  for  3 years to  find  a  3 dr. Hupp model R of  show  quality. We  went  from  Florida to  Mass. to  pick it  up  and  bring it  back to  Florida. I  detailed  it  and  before we  had  a chance to  show it,  I  lost  my  good  friend Dale.

20180223_091146.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looks like this post may have been started a while ago, so, ill toss a photo in of my 1920 model R. New to Hupps, but think im kinda hooked ! Original interior, but, is wearing a respray that Im guessing was done a few years back. A little buffing compound seams to go a long way though !

204014983_225763552537812_6721269858203715247_n.jpg

• Like 1

Hi  Eric, looks  like  a  great  fun  ride.  Did  you  find  the  pinion  bearing  grease fitting  yet? My  2  R 's are  a 1923 and 1924 so  yours  may  be  a little  different than the  pic  I  sent  you. Keep  touring,  the  more  you  run  it  the  better  it  will  go.

On 7/20/2019 at 9:03 PM, Bill Bauder said:

Here is my 1929 Model M Cabriolet. It is an 8 Cylinder and just a very nice car that is always enjoyed by

CCCA members who ask Who made it?

DSC07990.JPG

That is a VERY handsome car, I really like it.  Just has a good stance....very nice..

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 7:11 PM, Hupp36 said:

Hi  Eric, looks  like  a  great  fun  ride.  Did  you  find  the  pinion  bearing  grease fitting  yet? My  2  R 's are  a 1923 and 1924 so  yours  may  be  a little  different than the  pic  I  sent  you. Keep  touring,  the  more  you  run  it  the  better  it  will  go.

I looked pretty well......I think, and no grease fitting, I read on a R6 manual a little plate on top has two bolts and cup grease was to be put in.  Seams strange that a greaser would not be there....cup greas just sitting in a small resevoir will not do much.......Ill post the question soon   !!   Thanks !