Help please to identify 1937 Cadillac

Radion

Hi. My name is Radu and I'm  new here. I know something  about today's  cars  and nothing  about classic. We found with my friend a 1937 Cadillac Phaeton with ford engine. We wanna  buy and put on original engine, transmission  and maybe some interior.  But I can't  found wich  Cadillac  exactly  it is. Can you help me please. 

IMG-20190413-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20190413-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20190413-WA0014.jpg

I don't know what that is, exactly, but I suspect it's a replica of some kind which would explain the Ford engine. I don't think that was ever a vintage Cadillac or any other kind of vintage car, but was probably built in the '70s or '80s. Is the body steel or fiberglass? What does the dash look like? There are parts from various cars and it's definitely a Cadillac hood ornament, but the rest looks like a "best guess" that's typical of replicas. It's bigger than a Gazelle but not as long and sleek as something like an Excalibur or Tiffany. But it's in that vein.

I'm sure someone else will recognize it and have more details.

• Like 2

Unfortunately  I  don't  know anything  about classic cars.  I didn't  make the picture's of dash board, but the dash doesn't  look  like a Cadillac style to me. I know this years the Cadillac  dash will have big clock on the dash. And this have oil pressure  gauge. I dont believe  in 1937 cars have oil pressure  sensors. 

And I  didnt put  atention on body to much, buth I sow some work on spare wheel base from the bottom.  How can I  found more information  about? What should  I check? Thank you for reply 

Oil pressure gauges were an early feature. My 1930 Dodge Brothers Eight has one.

This is a 1937 Cadillac 16 Custom Phaeton.

image.thumb.png.9a00143c6ea9b85643eef7f3fab82f24.png

The car you show has fenders or mudguards more in keeping with the 1930-33 era. It also appears to have fairly small wheels - a 1937 Cad. would probably have 15 or 16" wheels.

Could it be a Duesenberg II? Look at the grille. That's a Duesenberg-looking grille, even though the lower third of it is behind that splash apron. If it's a Duesenberg II it has value all by itself, never mind that it's a replica. I've never seen a victoria body on a DII and if it's not, where did that grille come from?

3 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

The windshield frame almost has a VW cabrio from the 70's look.  The wiper towers or lack of suggest a later cowl.  

Yes, I believe you're exactly right. Doors and hinges sure look like VW Beetle too.

003.thumb.JPG.7608817219acf3cb04985ebe0931805c.JPG

• Like 1

There may be a plate on the Door jamb or on the firewall that tells what company built it. 

As Matt Mentioned,  a dash photo would help alot as well. 

What Country is the car in?  

See if you can get a shot with the top up as well.  Curious to see if it's a stock VW top or if they modified it to improve the flow of the lines. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I suspect the OP might be from another country.  Depending on which one,  this could be a good opportunity if not alot is available to get into something old looking (remember again if there isn't alot available).  In a place with few old cars,  most people will believe it's an old car.  Especially when parked next to one of many modern cars that have less styling than a washing Machine.  Now if there is alot to choose from,  then I would say walk away. 

I think the main thing here is to help the guy as to what this vehicle is, we know it is not a real 1937 Cadillac and most of us feel this is some type of replica car although it almost smacks of one person's vision.  In any event as long as his eyes are open and he realizes, that unlike his first post there is no turning this into a correct 1937 Cadillac, if he wants  a car like this and he feels it is a good deal then he can make his own decision.  Something though  scares me with the stance of this car, he should check it out very thoroughly.

• Thanks 1

I believe that your car is similar to this "replicar", replica, or "kit car".

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/uploads/photoalbum/1933-cadillac-v-16-convertible-custom--1.jpg

1933-cadillac-v-16-convertible-custom--3

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/uploads/photoalbum/1933-cadillac-v-16-convertible-custom--9.jpg

This is similar to yours except for the trunk (or "boot", depending upon where you are from).  

A gentleman in our area owns one, and was kind enough to allow it to be used as a "billboard", with a large sign on it which directed passers-by to our annual local AACA antique car show in Manassas, Va., several years ago.

I do not know which company manufactured this replica automobile.  It has a 429 cubic inch Ford engine.

Here is the original model of Cadillac upon which the replicar was based: a 1933 Cadillace V-16 Victoria Convertible.

https://serdafied.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/33cadv16a.png?w=614

(I'm not sure why one photo posted, and the rest remained as links.  Also, it appears that your car more nearly resembles the Duesenberg shown in the previous post, than it does the 1933 Cadillac reproduction that I showed.  However, it does appear possible that both of these replica automobiles were produced by the same company.)

As usual, Keiser31 has nailed it ! His link may be quite useful for our new friend, Radion. Showing the winning bid at $25 k, and a total of  4 willing bidders in the $20-25 k range, against the "expert" estimate of $32-44 k. Perhaps, depending on condition of the sold car vs. that of the one he is looking at, a reasonable price can be established. Could be a fun car if it is in good mechanical shape. No Cadillac, "Duesenberg" neither.    -   Carl 

• 3 weeks later...