The next generation and keeping it in the family

babychadwick

My Grandfather passed a while back and I have the opportunity of purchasing a car from the estate and simply must share some pictures.  It seems that my boy is totally into old cars his favorite being model T speedsters.  Just today we were at a friends and rather than play with the tons of toys at their house the most fun was speedsters up in the garage.  We are currently building a '27 speedster and have come put to CA to bring back my grandfathers car that we will be keeping for ourselves.  It is so nice I hope to repair the paint chips and keep the original paint.

P.S. The tractor is one my Grandfather built for me that I repaired for him.

P.P.S. He just turned 4

1111111.jpg

1111.jpg

11111.jpg

IMG_20181115_180846478.jpg

20181215_155604.jpg

22.jpg

alex.jpg

• Like 2

Great photos, BabyChadwick!!

These two young men (men, because this picture was taken some 22 years ago) had two great-grandfathers that belonged to car clubs with Rolls-Royce, Packard and Delahaye ownership. Both of their grand fathers were club members, their father and and four uncles are club members, and they both now own their own collector cars/antiques.

Untitled-28.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if you are familiar with a company named Rootlieb. They make speedster parts, seats, fenders etc. for both Model T and A speedsters. Might be useful for your project.

I have two kids. I have two 1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupes. I had planned on leaving each one of the cars to my son and daughter. I don't really think that my son cares one way or the other about the cars. My daughter, being the complete opposite of my son, LOVES the cars. Neither child has the place to keep them, let alone work on them to restore or assemble enough to drive them. I was so hoping to have my children work on the cars with me, but I think that ship has sailed. Oh, the choices we have to make....

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I agree with keiser31.  It really does get awkward.  We have two sons, one with schizophrenia who is one step from supervised housing (24-36 months wait list) and his younger brother.  Neither have any interest in our family heirlooms.  In fact my youngest son would give my Pontiac to a museum (if he could find one to  take it) and would have an auction house empty the house including Grandparents and great-grandparents furniture and personal things.  I have told him not to feel any obligation to keep anything and now am wondering if I should liquidate all the personal items. I guess all things have to come to an end.

24 minutes ago, TerryB said:

There is no guarantee that childhood interests equal adult life interests.  Some will continue, others won’t want to be bothered.  Enjoy the times when your interests and theirs overlap. 

Agreed. It's wonderful when our passions are passed on to the next generation.  It makes us feel like we're passing on a bit of ourselves.   But I also agree that every generation needs to find its own passions and interests, and to make its own choices about what they love.   Enjoy the overlapping times, but also celebrate each new generation's ability to pursue what it loves.

• Like 3

Love the pictures and story from the original poster!  Such a great memory.

I am very fortunate that my 18 year old son loves the old cars and even loves the history of them.  Here he is taking the 1913 Cole out for a drive last summer.  He has a passion for and has built his own library of historical car documents and books.   He also goes to every car show with me and loves talking to others to share the information and history. 

It it truly is a wonderful thing to get to share a passion with your children.  

Also besides my son, my 22 year old daughter drives a 1978 Volkswagen bus westfalia model as her daily driver!  

CF5A3300-F298-4907-A859-30D3EA11B047.jpeg

C5E7694C-74CB-4CE5-9588-474856BC2E9B.jpeg

Edited by kfle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This is us in January '99. Both boys are now confirmed 'petrolheads', or whatever the US equivalent is, and both work in the old car industry.

The second photo is the older one in 2014, at 17, driving the 1929 Plymouth. That is him in the rear door window in the 1999 pic.

They both already have nearly a lifetime's worth of projects on hand, without buying any more.

Dawber family Jan 99.jpg

IMG_0647 (1024x768).jpg

• Like 2

Well here is my 11 year old grandson and you can see his mind is not on old cars. Asked me last summer if we sold my 1930 Cadillac coupe would that pay for a wakeboard boat. His younger brother is right behind him. I have to bet on my youngest one that was born past Dec. but does not look good. I am afraid the old car hobby dies with me in my family.

20190112_redjersey_horseshoeresort_0041.JPG

• Like 1

Here's a couple of photos from shortly after I refurbished my Ranch Wagon. I scanned the pictures from prints, so they're scratchy. The kids are wearing their Halloween costumes in the summer...don't ask why. They are now driving age, but currently don't have much interest in old cars. It still may happen, though. And I'm proud of them.

1704733858_Scan_20190115(2).thumb.png.da63f02add901275454b1b308b74d336.png1509508780_Scan_20190115(3).thumb.png.96d0d9fd95818f700e61ad08751ae0ce.png

It seems to me that gathering interest in old cars for kids is easy and comes natural.  As they grow up if there is little to no interest in working on them it might be better in making money as if this skill is lost it can become an expensive hobby very fast.  I am hoping to instill this interest in my boy as we build and fabricate speedsters.  Something unique and home built gives one satisfaction and pride.

I got into Antique cars when I was 10 years old, that was 58 years ago. Having a love for old cars AND finding a career that funds them and life in general would my advice. Look at all the Great Collections, they were funded by careers that paid very well. Bob 

19 hours ago, zipdang said:

My daughter enjoys the fun of the old stuff I have and tolerates her dad,

She probably thinks her father is weird and is a bit embarrassed about him playing with this old junk, but her friends think he is cool because their fathers don't do anything like that.