• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

34 Excellent

1 Follower

About babychadwick

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. What similarities are there between the Zephyr and Ford rear end? Yesterday I was driving, a bang and then free wheeling, after towing home (a couple blocks) if placed in gear there is a grinding sound in the left rear hub. I will be tearing into it soon and most likely looking for parts.
  2. She looks better now, there are dead bugs on her!!
  3. No problem with the electrical system, that was the first bit I tackled. I rewired the entire making a new harness and converted to 12v negative ground, with rebuilt 12v coils. While at it I dropped in bright LED lights so I can see at night as well as wired turn signals in the rear like a trailer. My thoughts with the fan is it just sits there unless I want to do a parade or something where Im going to be stopped. As far as running hot the temp was getting 210ish when I would shut down and then start hot which she was doing without any problems.
  4. So as you know or may not know I have a '38 sedan that was my grandfathers with an unknown engine status (it was believed to be a cracked block). This past weekend I took her for a trial run, something more than the short trips I have been on. By longer trip about 300 miles on the turnpike in South FL heat and sun. Running 10-30 I saw an oil pressure of 30psi at speed and an engine temp of 170-180 (prolonged at 60mph, occasional faster bursts if needed) where she sat steady. There was one accident where she was starting to overheat (stopped with an occasional move for about an hour) and I had to shut off to keep her cool most of the time we were stopped. Once rolling the temp came right down, I have modern mechanical gauges hooked up for diagnosis right now. I feel an electric fan will prevent that in the future.
  5. I've never needed a maintainer, a batt disconnect works well provided the battery is good. More important if it is going to sit for any length of time is the gas as it can go bad in the tank or eat away at bits causing lots of heartache. With the modern ethanol fuel and working with boats when the fuel sits it can draw moisture and you will get water in your fuel. A water separator can help prevent any of this from getting to the engine. Oh and a drip pan under all old cars . . .
  6. I did drop the voltage down but was unsure of how accurate they were, I just called it a converter. I did find out that there is no working speedometer, probably why it was disconnected when I got the car. Disconnecting it I determined that the cable was not turning so probably a broken cable or bad gear.
  7. Well the zephyr is running and driving. I have converted it to 12v negative ground and am in the process of rewiring everything. The headlights are very bright as I found a set of LED bulbs that are direct replacement. Unfortunately even though they will operate on 6-24v they require negative ground. As I was not trusting the original gauges being converted to negative ground and running thru a converter (oil was pegged at 50) dropping the voltage to 6v I put in some small mechanical gauges. Turns out that while I have not run her much that she is not overheating and the pressure has been around 40-60 when at a fast idle and 20-35 when she warms up and is idling. There was some initial noise which has all smoothed out and she sounds good. The real possible problem has not surfaced yet but may when I get her on the road.
  8. And not I wish I had money, the trip to save my Zephyr has left me broke and I don't even know the engine status yet
  9. Any chance the drivers rear door latch assembly is complete? I tore apart mine today as the latch wouldn't go back out unless locked and found a broken spring in the assembly. I fabbed in a new spring and it now works but having the right part would be a positive. Interesting tidbit the patent date was I believe '31. Mine is a '38 but I'm guessing its the same as the '37.
  10. I am working on cleaning up the oval wind wings and cracked one which isn't a big deal as the glass was so delaminated that I did not plan on using it long term. If I used my glass as a pattern and had more cut is there anybody else that needs glass? Just thinking maybe you have the frame but not the glass and would have to fabricate the pattern.
  11. One rear door is not latching, I think it just needs a little cleaning but I need to remove the panel. I am assuming the '38 handles come off like more modern cars but would rather hear confirmation than risk breaking something.
  12. I sure hope it is considering the check is "in the mail"
  13. Unfortunately my boy is already calling it "his" car. As for matching the paint I've already had a bit mixed to match so I will be doing touchup on the million and 1chips. The larger pieces I may try to fill in with a different black and cover the last bit with the matched paint.
  14. The coil and dist have been sent off to go thru. Turned out upon receiving the pertronix plate they had the wrong car listed and o not make one for the Zephyr contrary to their claims prior to my ordering. While I wait we started doing a little cleanup . . .