This Sucks

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

You critics need to brush up on how a venturi works.  This is no different than the vacuum systems that use compressed shop air to create a vacuum.  Frankly, this is how a carburetor works.

Exactly what I was thinking Joe. I have a simple compressed air venturi vacuum nozzle with  short hose and bag on it. I vac up my shop and even my cars with it all the time. Easy to move it around in tight spaces and a ton of suction.

29 minutes ago, chistech said:

Exactly what I was thinking Joe. I have a simple compressed air venturi vacuum nozzle with  short hose and bag on it. I vac up my shop and even my cars with it all the time. Easy to move it around in tight spaces and a ton of suction.

I've got a Vacula brake bleeder that works the same way.  FYI, it's probably the best tool I've ever bought.

VACULA-18-9961-BRAKE-FLUID-VACUUM-BLEEDE

• Like 1

It is not a question of how a venturi works, it is the use inside a closed garage that will be problematic!  

Outdoor use sounds great.

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

You critics need to brush up on how a venturi works.  This is no different than the vacuum systems that use compressed shop air to create a vacuum.  Frankly, this is how a carburetor works.

I brushed up on it as you suggested and I found you were right! The hose has a lot more suction when it's attached to the carburetor than when it's attached to the exhaust. :) 🤣

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I brushed up on it as you suggested and I found you were right! The hose has a lot more suction when it's attached to the carburetor than when it's attached to the exhaust. :) 🤣

Clearly you have not... 🙄

16 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

And as long as they did not just put a hose in the front window and open the back window that would be fine. Think VW, Corvair or Model A.

Think of any hot air furnace in your home.  The gas or oil is combusted.  An air-to-air heat exchanger warms the ventilation air without mixing in combustion products.  Of course, this is completely unrelated to how the exhaust-powered vacuum system works.

4 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

And most bead blast cabinet nozzles, and syphon paint guns. 

If it wasn't for Daniel Bernoulli, and then Giovanni Venturi taking it a step further,.... we'd all dripping gasoline into the intake system and  be wire-brushing rust off parts. 😃

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PFitz said:

If it wasn't for Daniel Bernoulli, and then Giovanni Venturi taking it a step further,.... we'd all dripping gasoline into the intake system and  be wire-brushing rust off parts. 😃

Well, the alternative would have been the accelerated development of fuel injection. 😁

I was in the meat business for years. Started out in our family’s USDA slaughter house and processing facility to later including one of several maintenance foreman at another very large USDA cold cut and hot dog type facility. Skinless hot dogs are processed in a plastic skin which is removed after cooking and smoking before packaging. This casing is removed with a score cut, some steam, some air, and some vacuum with the casing accumulating in a compartment on the machine. Due to the size of the machine, the process has to be stopped often to clean out the casing residue. The plant wanted a better way to collect the casing without having to shu down the machines. 

I designed two different type systems. One with vane type vacuum motors pulling through piping to a central canister and a second system using a Venturi system. Because the system was going in a already working production room, the vacuum system was easier to install. About 5 years later when the plant was expanded with new construction and went to a continuous oven system, the facility installed my Venturi system.

This system consisted of two Detroit 671 blowers run by electric motor blowing down 6” SS piping on the roof of the building. Hoses connected the casing removal machines to 1 1/2” SS piping that was run up through the roof in a 6’ radius sweep with the ends of the sweep entering the side of the 6” main pipe and continuing about 5’ inside the 6” pipe. There were two lines like this with four 1 1/2” pipes into each. The 6” pipes continued across the roof into a sweep elbow down to a pivoting exit nozzle that could be directed into one of two trash dumpsters sitting side by side. The system works very efficiently and there is no shut down needed during production. Ice is also blown into fishing boats in a very similar fashion, again using 671 blowers.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

8 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

And as long as they did not just put a hose in the front window and open the back window that would be fine. Think VW, Corvair or Model A.

That's what  they did.  We were expendable tourists.

• Like 1