Factory routing of spark plug wires

arnulfo de l.a.

Since you are con

10 hours ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Any one got a picture of how the spark plug wire were routed  along with the locations of the wire holders? Thanks

If you are concerned about proper routing you may or may not know that some of the plug wires (4, I think) originally had right angle boots on the distributor. Lectric Limited's website for date coded wires have a listing specifically for the 65 dual quad cars for this purpose. The right angle was to provide more clearance from the huge air cleaner.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

Since you are con

If you are concerned about proper routing you may or may not know that some of the plug wires (4, I think) originally had right angle boots on the distributor. Lectric Limited's website for date coded wires have a listing specifically for the 65 dual quad cars for this purpose. The right angle was to provide more clearance from the huge air cleaner.

Hi Jason,

I remember you and I researching this but I cant remember if we used `65 or `66 source material. Do you remember which year we used?

Tom Mooney

Hey Tom,

I was originally alerted to this small detail by Dennis Manner relative to the the 66 MZ.

I then saw the angled boots on the dark green unrestored Romanowski 20k mile GS car where I could see a mix of straight and right angle boots on the distributor. At least 3 wires had right angle boots. I recall you and I discussed it but now that you mention it, I'm not sure you were able to correlate it to Buick documentation. I just can't remember for sure what your assessment was.

42 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Hi Ed,

I bought a pair of holders from cars a few weeks ago. I just don’t understand why the spacing is so different for the fourth cable. Do you (or someone else) know?

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Hi Ed,

I bought a pair of holders from cars a few weeks ago. I just don’t understand why the spacing is so different for the fourth cable. Do you (or someone else) know?

These date back prior to the first generation Rivieras.  I don't know what other models may have had on the engine that would need the spacing.  The only thing that I can think of on these Rivieras would be the vacuum line that goes from the carb to the power booster.  One wire behind that, the other three to the front.  The odd spacing on that one clip could be to route that one wire behind the vacuum line.

But that's just a WAG.

• Like 1

They are generic across the GM line. Ithink this is the reason for the separation:

Old spark plug wires weren't well shielded and could cause misfire. The separation was for sequentially firing adjacent cylinder wires

18436572.... 5 and 7 keep them apart

12784563.... 3 and 1 "            "

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Hi Ed,

As already mentioned, it is to prevent cross-fire between that one wire and any of he other 3 wires in the holder.  Look in the shop manual for proper wire routing and which wire goes in which position of the clip.

The original lengths of the 8 wires are documented in the 1963 Master Parts Book, they are probably also listed in later editions.  I get wire sets that are "cut to fit" and cut them to those lengths.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gungeey said:

They are generic across the GM line. Ithink this is the reason for the separation:

Old spark plug wires weren't well shielded and could cause misfire. The separation was for sequentially firing adjacent cylinder wires

18436572.... 5 and 7 keep them apart

12784563.... 3 and 1 "            "

You are right Steve.  My 71 Monte Carlo which was bought new, has the very same one.

• Like 1