Is This Worth Saving?

Bill in Ohio

Hello All Fellow Car Lovers. I'm brand new to the Forum. My name is Bill. I love in north-eastern Ohio.

I have come across -and- I'm including photos of, what I think, is a 1920 Paige Daytona Speedster!

~It's obviously a relic, but yet amazingly complete: (Engine block with Carburetor, Exhaust Manifold, Vacuum Fuel Pump, Starter, Water Pump, etc.).

The Frame suffers semi-moderate rot, but also still retains all four Fenders, 3/4 of the four piece Hood, Firewall/Windshield Cowl, Steering Column, Running Boards, rear Differential, Leaf Springs, Gas Tank and rear Bumpers. (I assume the Transmission and Drive-train are still there, just not un-Earthed (yet).

The lack-of metal in the rear of the heap suggests the potential of Speedster rear-end (now gone). Also the split rear Bumpers suggests rear-mounted Spare Tire (again, potential Speedster). I also discovered what I believe is the Drawer-style third Seat.

My question is:

Is it too far gone?

Is it worth saving?

I look forward to everyone's professional opinions!

Most Kindly,

Bill in Ohio

Paige Daytona Speedster-1.JPG

Paige Daytona Speedster-3.JPG

Paige Daytona Speedster-5.JPG

Paige Daytona Speedster-6.JPG

Paige Daytona Speedster-8.JPG

Paige Daytona Speedster-2.JPG

Paige Daytona Speedster-9.JPG

What makes you think it is a Daytona ? I don't think the part of the cowl where it meets the front of the door is the correct shape for a Daytona however your photos don't show the area well. Daytona doors are very low and the rear edge of the cowl is shaped to suit the door. Your Paige relic looks like it has a standard Roadster or Touring cowl. If it is a Daytona then it is definitely worth saving however I think it probably is not a Daytona.

Even a Paige touring owner could probably salvage enough off it to make it worth dragging home however I would not pay more than scrap value for it.

1921_Paige_Model_6-66_Daytona_Speedster_(3828738981).jpg

10035315.jpg

5867910801_f9731d233d_b.jpg

I doubt that it is a real Daytona. But it might be.  The cowl doesn't look quite right. The rear bumper looks like the Weed (think tire chains) bumpers Paige used in the mid '20s. The fenders say "maybe?" And if it has the drawer seat, that was a feature used on only a few cars including Kissel Gold Bugs and Paige Daytonas (and a few others including some European stuff).

I don't have my reference handy, but if it is a 6-66 Paige? Some parts of it may be worth something (don't think retirement account, it ain't that much).

If it was close to me, I could be interested for cheap, only because I like Paige automobiles in general.  A few years ago I could have been really interested. But I think I already have enough projects now that will take ten to twenty years more than I have left.  Real Paige Daytonas in nearly perfect condition are moderately expensive cars. However, a person could easily spend seventy thousand dollars to turn that pile into a seventy thousand dollar car (IF it is a real Daytona).  (Do the math.)

Just for references sake, I tried to look up the one that has been for sale for awhile in the UK, but I guess it has been sold.  Saw pictures,  but no price listed that I found (It must still be out there in cyber-space somewhere?).

The Continental 10A engine was used in 1925-26 Paige 6-70s, and is a slightly improved version of the earlier 8A and 9A engines, which use the same gasket set.  3.75 bore, 5.0 stroke for 331 cid.

I have a backup 10A engine no. 154522 (the subject one is 153601) from a 1925 Paige 6-70, and my slightly later crankcase has a casting date of 6/20/25.  So this one is definitively a 1925.  The flat radiator means 1924 or later (earlier ones were veed).

The Bill Roberts website www.wcroberts.org  says that the last Daytona was built in 1923.

Wheelbase for the 6-66 (1921-22), and 6-70 (1923-26) is 131 inches.  I own a 1922 6-66 Larchmont II 4-passenger sport phaeton.

If anyone wants to resurrect this one, I do have available the 1925 6-70 frame and some springs, steering box, and front axle.  The trans and rear axle have gone to put other cars back on the road.

Wow! ~Thank You, All!

I didn't expect such response, but I truly appreciate all of your replies. You all present valid points of argument.

I agree that the shape of the hood-line, following through onto the cowl, curves upward toward the windshield mount area, as apposed to continuing straight across to the doors, as in the Daytona(s).

The specific info on Motor Number 10A helps tremendously! ~Thank You. I initially researched Paige engine block numbers, but too no definitive conclusion. Identifying it as a 1925 #6-70 is one question that is now answered.

You've all helped me in the decision process -although- I still haven't decided what I'll end up doing about it / with it / if anything. 

~Tick Tock.

Kindly,

-Bill

• Like 1

I agree with Wayne, but there is also the consideration of whether a vast number of missing parts are available--unlikely for this Paige.  There is always the speedster option...

The Paige Daytona which broke 100 mph at Daytona certainly had VERY different gears from even production Daytonas, which are 40-45 mph cars.  And likely a number of other differences, because the 8A/9A/10A engines had a 3,000 rpm redline at the very outside.  My 1922 Paige 4-passenger phaeton is all in at 40 mph, but it will get a 26 Mitchell overdrive (already on the shelf), not because I want to go much faster but to take the stress off the engine.