Need help on 1949 Cadillac purchase

Joe Cocuzza

11 hours ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

Thanks

I am slowly cleaning it up. If all goes smoothly I should be done with the polishing/waxing in a couple of weeks and then, as the weather cools off, I plan on attacking the mechanics - brakes, engine, gas tank, etc.

That should be easy.

Cars always seem to run better with a good wash job.

5 hours ago, GARY F said:

Gotta bring it out in the sun so we can see it really shine. Look great

Now that the outside is all cleaned and waxed I intend to move on to the mechanics and getting it running again.

That may take a little time but as soon as I can move the car in and out of the garage I will snap some shots of it outside.

BTW, thanks for the compliments from everyone here. It keeps me motivated.

Joe

We restored a '59 Conv. Some time after it was finished it had a run in with an out of control shopping cart. 2 dents in the rear quarter. Owner wanted to try paintless dent removal. I was very skeptical to the point I wagered $20 that the dents would still be visible. I lost my $20.

• 2 years later...

It has been quite a while since any update on the 49 Caddy so here is one

After getting it all cleaned up I FINALLY moved on to the mechanics.

I removed all the plugs and sprayed WD-40 into each cylinder and then turned the motor by hand. Cleaned all the plugs and re-installed them.

Cleaned and flushed the radiator and installed it with new hoses and thermostat.

Installed new (correct) early valve cover gaskets.

Drained/dropped oil pan and cleaned out about 1" of sludge. Painted and reinstalled with new gaskets.

Installed new battery box with new battery

Installed new:

water pump

fuel pump

plug wires

distributor cap -only cleaned the points .

Ran a remote gas can to the new fuel pump and tried to start the car. It started in 1/2 a turn but I noticed (fortunately) that gas was shooting out of the vent holes on the top of the carb. Of course, it was shooting directly onto the coil and the distributor - not a good place for that. I quickly shut the motor off. So I was not sure whether or not to rebuild the carb. I had to go to NAPA about something unrelated and I mentioned this problem to the guy working the counter. Lucky for me he rebuilt carbs for 40 years and he said that there was probably something clogging the ports and that I should go home and gently tap around the carb with a small hammer to see if that helps.

Well I did that and then started the car. NO LEAKS from the carb. Hurray!!!! And that motor, after running for a short time, sounded so good and was rock solid with no vibration(s)/noises/smoke whatsoever.

I then dropped the gas tank. I was going to have it cleaned and sealed but I opted for a new one along with a sending unit. Haven't had the chance to install it yet - weather got cold.

That's where I am at this point. After the gas tank is in I will move on to redoing the brakes and installing the new tires - probably not until the spring - but who knows.

• Like 3

Since you're working on the gas tank, now is a good time install a 6 volt electric pump.  You'll want this for vapor lock and for starting the car after it's sat for a period of time.  They have 6 volt rotary pumps that the mechanical fuel pump can pull gas through.   These cars do tend to vapor lock on hot days, especially in traffic, because the fuel pump is mounted on top of the engine.  Lots of heat there.   There is plenty of room on the frame to mount one in front of the rear wheel right where the fuel line runs.     

• 7 months later...

Okay. Long overdue update time.

I was able to install the new fuel tank/sending unit into the Caddy.

Now the car runs as it should feeding off the fuel tank.

I am removing the drums and looking at the wheel cylinders which more than likely will be rebuilt

Progress is slow and now it has stopped for a bit - just had surgery a week ago - so no bending/lifting for a while

Hope to get back at it by end of August because I am planning another surgery for knee replacement in Oct/Nov which will knock me out of commission for the rest of this year.

• Like 2

Joe, knee replacement is not bad. I was up walking next day, full flexibility in a week. That was my seventh operation on that knee. Do the exercises, the pain is minor and temporary, if you don’t do it it can be miserable for a very long time. Hope all goes well. 
dave s 

This is just the type of project I love; I've had a series of cars from that era that just needed to be awoken after a long slumber. Loads of fun to play mechanic, research, learn all about the car, and watch it slowly come back to life. Glad this one found a great home; I had a '50 Series 61 briefly that had been allowed to become a beater. Quite sad to see. Several cars I've ended up with were purchased by someone who thought they'd make a great daily driver and then they got parked and went down hill. You're preventing such a fate!

Joe, thank you so much for keeping us updated and good luck with your knee surgery.  IF you can afford it consider paying someone to finish some of the work so you can start driving it, unless your enjoyment is in the mechanical work  and not touring/showing it.  As I am getting older I find that I can only complete about 25% of what I used to in a given week.  The days of working in the shop until 10 or 11  are over for me.  Just my TCW

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 8:05 AM, Restorer32 said:

We restored a '59 Conv. Some time after it was finished it had a run in with an out of control shopping cart. 2 dents in the rear quarter. Owner wanted to try paintless dent removal. I was very skeptical to the point I wagered $20 that the dents would still be visible. I lost my $20.

Once i put my 35 Buick on the lift but didn;t have it far enough foward.  I put two dents in the roof when it met two trusses.

Body shop said they would have to take the headliner and the rear window out and paint the whole roof over.  Cost $2100.

Took ot to another shopwho did paintless dent repair for $175.   My thought was try the paintless repair and if not perfect,

do it the other way.

Paintless dent repair is great!!!   Work when the paint is not cracked or broken.

7 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Joe, thank you so much for keeping us updated and good luck with your knee surgery.  IF you can afford it consider paying someone to finish some of the work so you can start driving it, unless your enjoyment is in the mechanical work  and not touring/showing it.  As I am getting older I find that I can only complete about 25% of what I used to in a given week.  The days of working in the shop until 10 or 11  are over for me.  Just my TCW

I have been messing with cars for 50+ years and I have the capabilities to do what needs to be done.

I like doing most of the work myself and I prefer not farming things out  - unless I do not have the capacity/tools to do the job correctly.

It, at least for me, in my mind is "if you want something done correctly, do it yourself"

Plus, I get major satisfaction out of accomplishing/completing a phase of restoration, no matter how long it takes.

• Like 2

That is the way I felt at 70 and probably 75  (We went on five national car tours that year and towed a 32 ft gooseneck to each).  At eighty one I am slowing down.  I worry that I will run out of time before I get to tour with a couple of my  projects.  When you turn 80 check off all the close friend you have left.  Ninty percent of mine are gone.

Edited by Robert G. Smits (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

That is the way I felt at 70 and probably 75  (We went on five national car tours that year and towed a 32 ft gooseneck to each).  At eighty one I am slowing down.  I worry that I will run out of time before I get to tour with a couple of my  projects.  When you turn 80 check off all the close friend you have left.  Ninty percent of mine are gone.

I am not that close to your 81.

However, I agree about slowing down and losing people.

I have some physical problems - knee,hernia,etc.(I abused my body when I was young playing sports) - that I am taking care of now so MAYBE I will be in a better position to pick up the pace on fixing/using my cars. Also, factor in that I am still working 6 days a week so time to concentrate on them is very limited. Especially when other aspects of life need to be attended to as well.

But I will get there eventually

• Like 1